RCI has better refund for COVID-19 than NCL!!

big al

A friend of mine just had to cancel their RCI Harmony Of The Seas cruise because they are a high risk couple ( 70's, hypertension, diabetes, etc..)..RCI offered them a 50% cash refund PLUS the other 50% towards another cruise..much better than NCL only offering a cruise credit ONLY...maybe they will see this and think twice...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, big al said:

A friend of mine just had to cancel their RCI Harmony Of The Seas cruise because they are a high risk couple ( 70's, hypertension, diabetes, etc..)..RCI offered them a 50% cash refund PLUS the other 50% towards another cruise..much better than NCL only offering a cruise credit ONLY...maybe they will see this and think twice...

Yes, and RCI has more going for it as well.

• Like 1

I will never understand the need to belittle posters. It’s definitely not going to be a virus that is our demise. It’s folks that feel the need to post things like ‘why should we care’...

To OP, thank you for passing on the details as it is helpful to others who might be looking at canceling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Willbrise123 said:

I will never understand the need to belittle posters. It’s definitely not going to be a virus that is our demise. It’s folks that feel the need to post things like ‘why should we care’...

To OP, thank you for passing on the details as it is helpful to others who might be looking at canceling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are welcome..and I agree on your point about posters- this is why I have dropped my  posting a lot the last 2-3 years....

• Like 1

That's nice for your friend, but RCI's stated policy is to provide FCC. Pre-paid items are refunded (which is a difference from NCL). However, RCI's policy is currently only on cruises through July 31 (NCL's is through Sept 30), and you must use your RCI FCC by Dec 31, 2021 (NCL's policy extends into 2022). So I would not say RCI's policy is better, per se. It has advantages and disadvantages. 

I've never sailed NCL, so I'm not an NCL cheerleader by any means, but each cruise line has a different policy. Some better for certain people, and some worse for certain people. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I'm still wishing NCL was offering some OBC as incentive to keep our bookings like Carnival is...

A friend in Nevada said she received an e-mail from NCL offering $200 OBC and all 5 perks for free instead of the usual 4 ( which I have on my next NCL cruise in November IF we go..)..maybe soon..let's hope...

• Like 1

What he said

VvVvVvVvVv

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

A cash refund is not a cruise credit. 😛

As long as nobody goes Ch.11 / Ch.7 bankruptcy, taking my cash or FCC with them.

Might not be as far-fetched as it seemed a week ago.

I'll take my cash refund & book another cruise when things clear up, unless NCL goes belly up, in which case I have my cash.

My FCC goes to Sh*t if NCL goes belly up.

Edited by leithbones
edit
  • Like 2

I am very happy with NCL's policy and who frankly cares if RCCL has a better policy. Considering that they are offering full cruise credit for everyone who did not take out insurance (including myself), I am quite happy.  If another cruise line does something slightly better, so be it.

At this point, have you seen NCL's stock price? NCL (like every other cruise line) is in pretty bad state and they just took a huge cash loan to cover operating costs. They are in trouble so I'm not too worried about squeezing every penny out of them.  Just my perspective and wish you the best.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, big al said:

What are the other terms that RCI is offering?  How far in advance do you need to cancel?  What date range are they letting people cancel for?

It's really tough to judge the quality of an offer without all the details.

Edited by Named-Tawny

26 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

What are the other terms that RCI is offering?  How far in advance do you need to cancel?  What date range are they letting people cancel for?

It's really tough to judge the quality of an offer without all the details.

50% cash refund now, then the other 50% RCI holds towards a future cruise which must be taken by Dec 2022...pretty fair & pretty good IMO..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, big al said:

50% cash refund now, then the other 50% RCI holds towards a future cruise which must be taken by Dec 2022...pretty fair & pretty good IMO..

How far in advance do you need to cancel the cruise?  What are the date ranges of the cruises that are eligible to be canceled?

29 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

That is now changed. The policy is now only FCC, no refunds, except pre cruise purchases.

Thanks...CORRECT..RCI has now changed their policy- only a future cruise credit is now available...it was just a thought..I prefer having some cash back because we don't know what will happen with COVID-19, and therefor don't know when we can cruise next, ESPECIALLY a person like me , who is high risk...stay safe all of you, and don't do anything that risks your life for a cruise..best scenario is this virus is seasonal..if not, we may be in for problems..look at Italy.... 

I'm curious how far out their cruise was. Were they in the time range when during normal times they would have a 50% cancellation penalty? If so, this makes alot of sense. That they would apply normal cancellation penalties (so would be entitled to a 50% refund anyway) and get the other 50% as a FCC. I don't disagree that this policy is better. However, I am just assuming here that people who are inclined to cancel over this virus are not booking right now. And the people who are already booked are stuck with who they booked with and those policies. 

5 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I'm curious how far out their cruise was. Were they in the time range when during normal times they would have a 50% cancellation penalty? If so, this makes alot of sense. That they would apply normal cancellation penalties (so would be entitled to a 50% refund anyway) and get the other 50% as a FCC. I don't disagree that this policy is better. However, I am just assuming here that people who are inclined to cancel over this virus are not booking right now. And the people who are already booked are stuck with who they booked with and those policies. 

Not sure about how far out..BUT I read cruises were good on RCI for credit thru Dec. 2021, while NCL is Dec 2022...I like flexibility, and I think NCL is still cornering you to cruise with them, and NOT refunding any portion of your money..I would rather have the 50% back because as I am high risk, I just don't KNOW what will happen..the RIGHT thing to do would be a complete 100% refund, but this is America, where $$$ rules all..your health does not matter here- only $$$...that's MHO..

17 minutes ago, big al said:

Not sure about how far out..BUT I read cruises were good on RCI for credit thru Dec. 2021, while NCL is Dec 2022...I like flexibility, and I think NCL is still cornering you to cruise with them, and NOT refunding any portion of your money..I would rather have the 50% back because as I am high risk, I just don't KNOW what will happen..the RIGHT thing to do would be a complete 100% refund, but this is America, where $$$ rules all..your health does not matter here- only $$$...that's MHO..

Well, that's not really true. In a pre-coronavirus world if you cancelled at the last minute you would be entitled to nothing back. They are making (as far as I know) and unprecedented policy to allow you to cancel at the last minute and lose nothing if you cruise within the next 2.75 years. That's not a terrible deal. Sure, a cash refund is always better, but I do think that the cruise lines at this point are trying to find the best balance between being accommodating to the customer while maintaining the cash flow they need to stay afloat. I'm pretty sure that a month ago people who had cruises in march were demanding that they be allowed to cancel and saying that an FCC so they would be on the hook to take the cruise eventually would be great if they could just cancel. Now they can, and people are complaining that they get a FCC instead of a cash refund.

• Like 1