Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

26 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I would imagine it would be similar to the process they used to have back in the day, where you filled out the initial health questionnaire at check in. If you answered "yes" you were further assessed by the medical team onboard and they decided if you were permitted to board or denied boarding.

Did anyone ever put "Yes" ?  Your point about repeating the process at every port is an interesting concept.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:18 PM, Expat Cruise said:

If you file the claim with the correct information and within the time frame required you will always win.  One of the reasons Princess is saying wait 60 days is to possibly put  guests outside of the filing time period.

Not a problem with Chase.  Paid in December (paid early because I needed some more airline points), Canceled March 8,

Filed May 9.  No problem.  Princess has 30 days from today to respond.

According to the person I talked to it is 60 days from the triggering event by the merchant, in this case, the day they exceeded their stated refund policy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dan4182 said:

I spent about 15 minutes on the phone with a Princess rep yesterday AM.

Two things from our little chat:

They are processing CC refunds based on the scheduled date of sailing. They are issuing refunds for May sailings currently and the refunds are being “hand done” on a case by case basis so everything is going really slowly.

It was a HUGE mistake on their part to ever have mentioned 60 day refunds and Princess’s public image is going to suffer some serious long term damage over this whole SNAFU.

A few random, out of order refunds may have been issued but month by month, sailing date by sailing date is the norm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were to be on the April 20 sailing to Hawaii (returning to SF on May 5).  Princess cancelled that cruise on March 12 ( the initial 60 day pause).  We completed the form requesting Option 2 full refund and have confirmation dated March 13.   To date we have not received our refund.  So they are not issuing refunds based on sailing date unless sailing date means the date the cruise ended.

On 5/12/2020 at 12:35 PM, ghstudio said:

If you paid for your cruise and cancelled (or the cruise was cancelled after the final payment due date, what legal basis are you using to get a refund?  Are you claiming that you cancelled and under the cancellation penalty you are due 75% back (etc)....or is there some other clause in the contract of passage that allows you to file a dispute with your credit card company?

That is what I did.  I included in my documentation the refund policy from the cruise contract, as well as Princess's stated time for processing refunds (copied from web site).  Only in my case I was still before final payment due date and was owed the full amount.

Edited by npcl

34 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Like many others, for decades Princess has provided our best cruise experience for the price paid & we would’ve had over 500 days if not for our 4 cruises Princess had to cancel this year. After they canceled both of our early May cruises on 3/12 & we decided to support them by selecting Option 1 & received confirmation emails for both of them. Like others the date in their homepage Updates went from 14, to 30, to 60 days which has now been exceeded.

A couple of days longer isn’t too bad however a week before the 60 day timeframe Princess emailed us asking about which option we desired...what? Our TA emailed her PCL sales rep who stated that neither of our requests were in their system. My TA sent both confirmations but now their sales rep is no longer communicating with our TA.

The trust we placed in Princess 2 months ago has been mishandled & if we resubmit our option now the 60 day clock begins again. I’ll check our options for a chargecard claim because we’re not waiting another 2 months. Like others we’ve received numerous emails containing videos asking us to patiently support our Princess family. And 2 months later all we get from them is no request was made despite providing them with their emails sent on 3/12 confirming our Option 1 requests...our patience has run out!

In this interview CCL CEO Arnold Donald stated after their recent sales of new stocks that “the company has enough liquidity to last at least through the year with no revenue”.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/14/carnival-ceo-despite-devastating-coronavirus-2021-cruise-bookings-are-strong.html

Obviously we want them to survive & supported them by accepting Option 1...FCC in lieu of a cruise fare refund. However taking nearly 60 days to learn that they had lost our requests & their unwillingness to correct their mistake it’s suspicious to me & appears to be a way to restart their 60 day timeframe. It’s an unacceptable way to treat the Princess family that they promote...we supported them & they fail to deliver as promised...sad!

Exact same scenario for a client that I cancelled on March 9th. She has been fortunate to at least receive the refundable amounts back to her credit card within 4 days (cancelled right before the pause). Since she was included in the pause 1 sailings, I submitted her request for option 1 on March 12th and received an email confirmation. Earlier this week she received the same email you did. I called and was told that there was no record of the original request. I sent the original confirmation. Didn't make a difference. Thankfully, she is not waiting on a refund and is sticking with the FCC bonus but looks like another 60 days.

I was on the same sailing as my client and cancelled it a day later. Also submitted form for option 1 on March 12th and received confirmation. I did not receive any of the refundable amounts to credit card and did not get any FCCs. I also did not get the email asking for my choice, When I called at the end of April, I was told that they had not received my choice of options and my cancelled booking had not been tagged correctly for follow up. The rep spent a lot of time with me and made sure it was taken care of BUT told me that it would now be in line for processing as of April 29th and would take up to 60 days from that date.

Something is very, very wrong with this picture....

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Did anyone ever put "Yes" ?  Your point about repeating the process at every port is an interesting concept.

They actually did - more than you would expect. I was a port agent for many years in Vancouver and we used the paper forms while I was there. Passengers that put yes would have to wait for the doctor to come off the ship and assess them. Many of the people that put yes didn't read the form correctly - one of the questions asked if you had sore throat/cough/runny nose AND a fever but they would put yes if they had either/or. Regardless, if they put yes (even if it was a mistake) they HAD to wait for clearance. Only once, during my time, did anyone get denied boarding for health reasons. That passenger didn't even make it as far as the questionnaire (or the bathroom for that matter)....

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 11:35 AM, lahore said:

Hi,  I cancelled under the new cancellation policy on the day it came out.  I received an email but the money has not hit my account.  Obviously I know things are terribly unusual and Princess and Banks are no doubt terribly overburdened.   However, I was just wondering if people are starting to get their refunds trickling through?  My bank has - in the past - been very slow with refunds so I’m curious.  In Australia by the way.

Still waiting almost two months after I first requested to cancel.

I understand things are tough in the cruise industry, but two months?  

If this is how Princess disregards repeat cruisers, I will not risk my money with them again.

We cancelled our June 13, 2020 on March 23.  Princess people told my TA we would see the refund in 10 to 15 days.  On the 32 days we called Princess they said it would be 30 to 60 days (??).  A few days later our TA called Princess they told her they did say 10 to 15 days but because there was another pause and they had TOO MUCH WORKS so now it might take another 30 days (????) or longer and Princess agent will try to put on a RUSH for us.  One lie after another because after their RUSH we still did not receive any $ for our paid in full cruise with option 2 (no benefits) yet and it was over 2 weeks ago.

On Princess FB page their people responded to my question that I should receive a refund by 23rd of this month.

We will wait a few more days and on May 23 we will try to file a dispute with our Credit Card company

Edited by ChattTenn

Thanks ceilidh1 for sharing your experiences...it’s very disappointing to have Princess mishandling requests & then refusing to correct their mistakes. Such distrust in them doing the right thing will result some loyal passengers considering other cruise lines.

You were refunded within 30 days for your Carnival cruise canceled on the same day (3/12) as Princess. Both are Carnival Corporation cruise lines...guess Carnival’s management is much more efficient than Princess’ management.

I agree that something is very, very wrong with this picture...Princess has botched this process & they refuse to correct their mistakes.

Our October NE/CA cruise from Quebec to FLL was recently canceled & they’re offering to double our $100 FCD as a $200 FCC. That FCD provided a $100 deposit & $75 OBC ($175) & their offer of a $200 FCC is only $25 more by allowing them to keep our $100 deposit. Based on their track record there’s no way we’ll convert more of our money for FCC.

Still trying to decide about submitting a new request for Option 2 to restart their 60 day timeframe or to just file a claim with our chargecard provider to ensure getting our money back in a timely manner.

Each of us decides how to deal with these situations & sadly I’m losing trust in Princess to honor their commitments & to correct their mistakes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

They have to announce the amount of days to get your refund, you say?  They DID - 30 then 60 then 90 then who knows.  And those of us waiting HAVE contacted Princess and/or our TA's and keep getting non-answers.

They told me they are processing in the order of sailing dates, not when you requested cancellation, so I don't think anyone really knows anything - employees and public alike!

8 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

You were refunded within 30 days for your Carnival cruise canceled on the same day (3/12) as Princess. Both are Carnival Corporation cruise lines...guess Carnival’s management is much more efficient than Princess’ management.

Ironically, when this all went down, Carnival was the one I was concerned about. I took the refund rather than the FCC with them because I had zero faith in them doing what they said they would do. Turns out, Carnival came through and refunded in full in the timeframe they promised. I did have issues with communication with Carnival - I had nothing to show I had cancelled or that I was due any money back, and that concerned me. But, at the end of the day, they now owe me nothing.

10 minutes ago, Fredette said:

They told me they are processing in the order of sailing dates, not when you requested cancellation, so I don't think anyone really knows anything - employees and public alike!

It changes by the hour....and the worse thing is that it is changed without any communication or trace. Unless you kept those early communications that stated, in writing, the 30 days/60 days/by departure date etc, etc, etc you would have no proof that they ever said those things.....

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Fredette said:

Here it is again:

1. Departure Date order

2. UP TO 60 days from time they received your choice of option 1 or 2

So, my cruise was March 14th. My choice was submitted March 12th. They failed on both counts!

60 day processing.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Here it is again:

1. Departure Date order

So, my cruise was March 14th. My choice was submitted March 12th. They failed on both counts!

60 day processing.png

See, thoroughly confusing. The first line says they are processing in "departure date order". The very next line says up to 60 days from when they recieve your refund choice. How do they do both? I already passed 60 days from my refund request date but my cruise was not supposed to start until May 2. Reading postings on here there is a lot of people that have not been processed that had earlier cruise start than mine.

13 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Here it is again:

1. Departure Date order

Well, I first tried contacting my TA prior to March 20 ( judging by the email trail) to request a refund, so they are coming up to 60 days now.

I have had a "don't contact us anymore" email from Princess because I asked them questions they couldn't answer about why it took so long to get anyone from Princess to respond, so they won't even engage about the issue.

It's a shame that the NSW government let the Ruby Princess leave Sydney.  I think there should have been a class action by all Australians to place a lien over the ship until Princess cleared it's debts.  We let a valuable asset leave our shores.

If Princess go under, we all lose our money.

13 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

60 day processing.png

We hit the 60 day mark from our initial notification of selecting option #2.  Spoke to Princess numerous times and was told my travel agent would issue the refund but the charges were done by Princess.  We filled a dispute with our bank to get our money back.  Seeing no one has gotten a refund, it appears Princess has a huge cash flow problem and I am tired of being asked to be patient.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Ironically, when this all went down, Carnival was the one I was concerned about. I took the refund rather than the FCC with them because I had zero faith in them doing what they said they would do. Turns out, Carnival came through and refunded in full in the timeframe they promised. I did have issues with communication with Carnival - I had nothing to show I had cancelled or that I was due any money back, and that concerned me. But, at the end of the day, they now owe me nothing.

I’m glad Carnival came through for you, BTW it’s been a month since I submitted my form for refund, but my credit card on file has expired, I sent email to my princess vacation planner ( PVP) and haven’t heard back,

Also, You were quoted on the cruise critic article! Did you see it? 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5342/?et_cid=3330961&et_rid=16966031&et_referrer=Boards

2 minutes ago, majorjan said:

I’m glad Carnival came through for you, BTW it’s been a month since I submitted my form for refund, but my credit card on file has expired, I sent email to my princess vacation planner ( PVP) and haven’t heard back,

Also, You were quoted on the cruise critic article! Did you see it? 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5342/?et_cid=3330961&et_rid=16966031&et_referrer=Boards

Lol. I'm famous...

7 minutes ago, Peytonhead said:

We hit the 60 day mark from our initial notification of selecting option #2.  Spoke to Princess numerous times and was told my travel agent would issue the refund but the charges were done by Princess.  We filled a dispute with our bank to get our money back.  Seeing no one has gotten a refund, it appears Princess has a huge cash flow problem and I am tired of being asked to be patient.

I wouldn't be surprised to see cruise lines go bankrupt over this, so at this stage I will be surprised if I ever see my money.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, majorjan said:

If the credit card is still active but just with a new expiration date it would not be a problem.