Should I cancel May 21 Alaska

bobrxlex

22 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

Thank you for the helpful info. It was a Chase Sapphire  card that was used for to purchase the hotel & a flight. 

Pretty much all airlines right now offer you a refund or stored airline credit so that's safe.

As far as the hotels are concerned that pretty much applies as well with all chain hotels. If individual properties that don't belong to a chain they might waive it. I'd give Ultimate Rewards a call and check.

6 hours ago, bobrxlex said:

I am in the 50% penalty for a few more days.  If I cancel now will Celebrity give me a 50% refund and 50% FCC. Or should I wait until Celebrity cancels the cruise due to not being able to dock in Vancouver. My cruise is 8 days Vancouver to Seattle.

The 50% penalty no longer applies unless you actually cancel outside of the CwC offer. If you opt to take up the CwC offer for sailings that are still going ahead and are past final payment, you only get 100% FCC.

4 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Pretty much all airlines right now offer you a refund or stored airline credit so that's safe.

As far as the hotels are concerned that pretty much applies as well with all chain hotels. If individual properties that don't belong to a chain they might waive it. I'd give Ultimate Rewards a call and check.

Sadly United is only offering a refund or a waive on change fees for flights up until April. 

can someone help me here?? We are scheduled to cruise to Alaska on May 28th, Seattle to Seattle.  We agreed to go, unless they tell us otherwise.  It is looking that they will cancel this cruise,.  What is the Jones act? and what are out advantages to waiting until Celebrity cancels us out.  Thanks everyone

9 minutes ago, 3red7s said:

can someone help me here?? We are scheduled to cruise to Alaska on May 28th, Seattle to Seattle.  We agreed to go, unless they tell us otherwise.  It is looking that they will cancel this cruise,.  What is the Jones act? and what are out advantages to waiting until Celebrity cancels us out.  Thanks everyone

It is not the Jones Act, but rather the PVSA, a US law that prevents foreign flagged vessels from traveling between US ports without a stop in a foreign port.  With Canadian ports closed until July, the ships traveling to Alaska will most likely be canceled, because the "foreign ports" are closed.

By waiting for the cruiseline to cancel, you will be eligible for the refund or 125% FCC.

Edited by julia
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 3red7s said:

Adding to what julia said....

Celebrity doesn’t appear to have yet caught up on the closure of Canadian ports and the impact of that action on their Alaska itineraries.  I think you should just hang in there a bit and see what they say with the expectation that your specific cruise will not be going ahead as planned.  Don’t jump the gun by cancelling yourself.

I have a May 17 Alaska sailing that leaves from Vancouver. My TA says it is still active and advises that I wait before making any changes. On their Instagram page, Celebrity responded to another scheduled Alaska passenger saying they understand the Canadian ports are closed and they are working on a Plan B. Details to come. I’m going to sit it out and see what happens. 

3 minutes ago, gskimmel said:

I have a May 17 Alaska sailing that leaves from Vancouver. My TA says it is still active and advises that I wait before making any changes. On their Instagram page, Celebrity responded to another scheduled Alaska passenger saying they understand the Canadian ports are closed and they are working on a Plan B. Details to come. I’m going to sit it out and see what happens. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the US puts a temporary halt on the PVSA so foreign ships can sail from Seattle to Alaska without stopping in a foreign port.. Maybe X know something that the public doesn't.

If Celebrity would attempt to change my Alaska itinerary let’s say for a California Coast etc,  that would be the last time I sailed Celebrity.  They would maybe make out on one cruise but never again.  I don’t think they would do that due to people getting p o’d

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

My cruise is June 12. I know many of you want to go on this cruise but I'm hoping the ports don't open early. I want my money back because of the stress. We will lose money on our flights and the money we paid for our travel insurance.

The travel insurance should pay out on our non-refundable hotel but we used some credit card points to pay for the hotel so we're going to lose out on the full cost.

There's a chance my work could make me self quarantine after this Cruise. 

If you are talking about an Alaska cruise in June, and all Canadian ports are closed until July, there is no choice except for the cruiseline to cancel your cruise. If you have insurance, why would you lose money on the flight or hotel? Insurance kicks in when the cruise is canceled by the cruiseline.

3 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

As of today, they are still taking new bookings for the May 21st  cruise from Vancouver.

They are still taking bookings for my June 12 cruise. I think that's shady. Because most likely X knows the itinerary is going to be changed or cancelled. Pax will have to deal with the hotel and airplane costs that they will probably never use. 

5 minutes ago, twodjs said:

If you are talking about an Alaska cruise in June, and all Canadian ports are closed until July, there is no choice except for the cruiseline to cancel your cruise. If you have insurance, why would you lose money on the flight or hotel? Insurance kicks in when the cruise is canceled by the cruiseline.

When I called Nationwide they said that depending on the reason for my cruise being cancelled I might not get the money back on my airplane tickets. My flight wasn't canceled.  Trip Interruption pays if you are on the way to or from  your destination.

I can't get to Vancouver where I fly home from because my cruise never left Alaska. That should be a reason for me to get my money back on that leg of the trip. 

An agent at insure my trip where I bought my policy said that I would be covered for the cancelled tickets.

17 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Even if the Seattle port opens, an Alaska cruise violates American law without at least stopping in Victoria (a Canadian port). So Alaska is a no go until at least July.

The US government could provide temporary or permanent relief to allow foreign flagged passenger vessels to operate between US ports.  Presumably this would let Alaska cruises leave from and return to Seattle with no Canadian stops.  Not sure if that is something that could be done under executive authority, or require Congressional action.  

Edited by radarcruiser
grammar

4 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

The US government could provide temporary or permanent relief to allow foreign flagged passenger vessels to operate between US ports.  Presumably this let Alaska cruises leave from and return to Seattle with no Canadian stops.  Not sure if that is something that could be done under executive authority, or require Congressional action.  

It can be done but not sure if it needs Congressional approval. This might be X Back-up Plan. I can see Donald allowing it. 

But realize Seattle has already closed the port to the first ships this season. I doubt they will welcome any in the next month or two until the risk is lowered. I really think July is more realistic. It would be great if the government got rid of that antiquated law altogether. 

13 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

The US government could provide temporary or permanent relief to allow foreign flagged passenger vessels to operate between US ports.  Presumably this would let Alaska cruises leave from and return to Seattle with no Canadian stops.  Not sure if that is something that could be done under executive authority, or require Congressional action.  

I just don’t see the US govt making it easier to cruise when they specifically asked cruises to stop running and are discouraging people from cruising.  That is sending some very mixed messages.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

The situation could change over the next four weeks, which is the time frame most lines have cancelled out.  The cruise that is referenced in this post is over nine weeks away.

That is a big could.  We are far behind what we need to be doing at this point that would be needed to curb this by then.   The chances of that happening are near none based on all available data and infection curves.  It’s just more palatable from a media perspective to have an endpoint rather than say indefinitely.  Also gives X the ability to take an interest free loan from us longer.

There is a reason that law is in place, and I don’t think they are about to waive it for an industry that skirts US tax laws.  They could though, and that would be great as I have an Alaska cruise in June that I am assuming is cancelled at this pont.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radarcruiser said:

The PVSA is regulated by the Dept of Homeland Security.  A suspension of the PVSA act would smack in the face of common sense, (even months out) if the world is still dealing with a pandemic. This is NOT going to magically clear up and just go away..

Edited by julia

I would expect the ports in the US and Canada to reopen more or less at the same time, depending on how quickly the virus is brought under control.  China appears to have slowed the spread of the virus pretty quickly.  Hopefully we can do the same in North America.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, julia said:

It is not the Jones Act, but rather the PVSA, a US law that prevents foreign flagged vessels from traveling between US ports without a stop in a foreign port.  With Canadian ports closed until July, the ships traveling to Alaska will most likely be canceled, because the "foreign ports" are closed.

By waiting for the cruiseline to cancel, you will be eligible for the refund or 125% FCC.

What is this 125% FCC?

16 minutes ago, TeanneTX said:

What is this 125% FCC?

FCC stands for "Future Cruise Credit".  Eg:   If your cruise fare (minus port fees and taxes) was $1,000, a 125% FCC would be $1,250, to be used on Celebrity for a future booking.