Canadian borders now closed

5 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

There are a lot of Canadian snowbirds in the U.S. right now.  Yes, they are still allowed across the border but Trudeau warned that might not last very long.

True, and at this point anything is possible. The warning was definitely given and should probably be heeded. 

Has anyone recently experienced travelling through the US back to Canada?  I am sending DW home from Mexico tomorrow and just want to hear of what she can expect on her way home.  And yes she plans to self isolate when she returns.  She's even bringing back about 62 lbs of food so she doesn't have to go out including toilet paper and Clorex wipes.  Neighbours have stocked up on beer for her so she will be set for 2 weeks.  Thanks

26 minutes ago, Magicat said:

Has anyone recently experienced travelling through the US back to Canada?  I am sending DW home from Mexico tomorrow and just want to hear of what she can expect on her way home.  And yes she plans to self isolate when she returns.  She's even bringing back about 62 lbs of food so she doesn't have to go out including toilet paper and Clorex wipes.  Neighbours have stocked up on beer for her so she will be set for 2 weeks.  Thanks

You may be able to get from the U.S. into Canada, but I'm not sure you will be able to get from Mexico into the U.S. 🍷

• Like 1

Seems like the borders are still open between US and Mexico but that could change and that is why she is leaving in the morning.  Heading up to Monterrey to stay over night in a couple of hours.  Will touch base with the airline to ensure they are still flying in the morning.  Fingers crossed. 

41 minutes ago, Magicat said:

Seems like the borders are still open between US and Mexico but that could change and that is why she is leaving in the morning.  Heading up to Monterrey to stay over night in a couple of hours.  Will touch base with the airline to ensure they are still flying in the morning.  Fingers crossed. 

Are we on Candid Camera?  🍷

3 hours ago, Magicat said:

Hope able cross, supposed stop few hrs ago: 

President Donald Trump on Friday said the US and Mexico have agreed to temporarily restrict nonessential traffic across the border amid the coronavirus pandemic. The president said the move won't impact trade and other essential travel. 

Trump announced a similar move along the northern border with Canada on Wednesday. 

During a coronavirus task force briefing at the White House, officials said the restrictions along the northern and southern US borders go into effect a midnight Saturday and will be reviewed in 30 days. 

16 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Hope able cross, supposed stop few hrs ago: 

President Donald Trump on Friday said the US and Mexico have agreed to temporarily restrict nonessential traffic across the border amid the coronavirus pandemic. The president said the move won't impact trade and other essential travel. 

Trump announced a similar move along the northern border with Canada on Wednesday. 

During a coronavirus task force briefing at the White House, officials said the restrictions along the northern and southern US borders go into effect a midnight Saturday and will be reviewed in 30 days. 

I would hope that someone who is returning home falls into the "essential travel" category.

Friends just drove back home from Florida to Ontario - crossed the border into Canada at Niagara Falls yesterday.   Here's their experience coming back.

NJ

"Our last stop was in Washington, PA (just south of Pittsburgh) and the drive home from there on Sat was eerie... very few cars on the road, almost all from ON, and the NY State Thruway was almost empty at times.  Crossing the border took less than a minute ("are you feeling ok?, have you had contact with anyone from China, Iran or Italy?, do you have anything to declare?  go into isolation for 14 days") he hands us a paper with instructions re isolation and that was that."

Here is the update:  Here 3rd plane arrived and left on time from Monterrey Mexico to Atlanta.  The airport was very empty, at security there was a guy with a hand held thermometer taking temperatures.  Standard questions at check in, have you been to China, Europe, etc... 

In our weekly meeting this morning, my manager mentioned that the mayor of Detroit is locking it down.  I haven't had an opportunity to check.  Perhaps that is why the flights to Detroit have all been cancelled.

7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I would hope that someone who is returning home falls into the "essential travel" category.

They never asked why she was travelling.  Perhaps they were smart enough to figure out that her end destination was Canada and she was travelling on a Canadian passport.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Magicat said:

They never asked why she was travelling.  Perhaps they were smart enough to figure out that her end destination was Canada and she was travelling on a Canadian passport.  

Very likely true. I'm sure that if I drove up to the border I would face some questions about my reason for going to Canada (it's only an 8 mile drive). I also suspect that US border officials would be a little more inquisitive on the return journey. I'm not bored enough to try it out, though.😀 Glad she made it back.

Edited by sparks1093