How are the Swans doing 2020

9 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Well what do you know, Swans 67 defeated Melbourne 46. One happy camper in Albuquerque.

9 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, no way those Crows will catch them now. Sydney with 5 wins now and up to 15th

Hooray, I knew they could do it!! Well, OK, maybe I wasn't completely sure but I was pulling for them. And I needed something to pick me up--I played a lousy round of golf today. I think I will have some wine with dinner tonight--to celebrate the Swans win and drown my golf sorrows 😁 I hate golf...

Go Swans! We're #15!!

• Like 1

They played quite well, and the Giants won as well, which means that the two Sydney teams did each other favours. They keep Carlton at 12th and one win away which makes Sydney's task of catching them and moving up the ladder easier, as they play them next. The Swans win over the Demons meant the giants could take the last place in the final 8.

At this stage of the season, the Swans moving up the ladder may not be in their best interests.

Draft order is based on final ladder placement, so lower gives a better draft position.  Although plenty of teams have squandered the early picks.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

They played quite well, and the Giants won as well, which means that the two Sydney teams did each other favours. They keep Carlton at 12th and one win away which makes Sydney's task of catching them and moving up the ladder easier, as they play them next. The Swans win over the Demons meant the giants could take the last place in the final 8.

I certainly hope the Giants send over some beer or pizza to the Swans 😉

Go Swans!

13 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

At this stage of the season, the Swans moving up the ladder may not be in their best interests.

Draft order is based on final ladder placement, so lower gives a better draft position.  Although plenty of teams have squandered the early picks.

Yeah, but the 2nd pick is almost as good as the 1st. I am familiar with early draft picks--my NY Giants (American NFL team) have been picking in the top 3-4 the last 4 years or so 😢

Maybe another young guy is just what we need. Or maybe we can work a trade??

OK--here's question for all of you--who should the Swans trade their pick for? I am thinking a player from another team--maybe one of those tall forwards??

6 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Who is the best AFL ruckman?

The best are unlikely to be traded. IMO they are,  in no particular order - Brodie Grundy Collingwood, Max Gawn Melbourne, Todd Goldstein and Nic Naitanui West Coast. There are a few younger ruckman coming through as well who are showing they could be amongst the best in years to come.

35 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The best are unlikely to be traded. IMO they are,  in no particular order - Brodie Grundy Collingwood, Max Gawn Melbourne, Todd Goldstein and Nic Naitanui West Coast. There are a few younger ruckman coming through as well who are showing they could be amongst the best in years to come.

If the AFL is anything like our NFL, anyone can be "available" for the right price!

Gawn and Grundy have all the stats covered and are talked about as the top.  Those in the know, like me, consider Naitanui as the best because of how he goes about the game and pure ruck impact,

I cannot see any of those being available.

Last off-season, Sydney made a play for Joe Daniher from Essendon. Tall forward with a lot of talent. Also a lot of injuries. He comes out of contract at the end of season, so may be looked at agin.

23 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

If the AFL is anything like our NFL, anyone can be "available" for the right price!

The AFL drafts and trades do not work like the NFL and the NBA. For a player to be traded, both the player and his present club have to agree to the trade and the present club has to receive either players or draft picks in return which are acceptable. AFL clubs have salary caps which have to be followed so the amount of money offered to players to trade is usually not excessive. It is not often that the very best players are traded. There are of course exceptions when for instance a player may want to reurn from one state to their home state or for other personal reasons. Most players traded are not the top echelon. 

There are also Unrestricted Free Agencey and Restricted Free Agency as a way of changing clubs - 

Restricted free agents are out of contract, in the top 25 per cent highest paid at their club, and have either been at their club for eight or more but less than ten years, or have been in the AFL for ten or more years but have not previously had restricted free agent status.

They can accept an offer from a rival club, but their current club has the choice to match the offer made to them and they must then seek a trade if they still wish to move clubs.

Unrestricted free agents are out of contract, and either have been at their current club for ten years or more and previously been a restricted free agent, or been at their current club for eight years or more and are not inside the top 25 per cent highest paid at their club.

They can accept an offer from a rival club and if they do then this is processed immediately. Their current club has no right to match the offer or block the move.

Leigh

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I would pick Nick Naitanui as well.

I think Nic and Max Gawn are about on par. I would be happy with either at Essendon although our young ruckman Sam Draper is showing promise and is not scared to have a go. I look forward to watching his progress. Fingers crossed he'll live up to his promise.

Leigh

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The AFL drafts and trades do not work like the NFL and the NBA.

Actually, that sounds a lot like what the NFL does, not sure about the NBA, I'm not  a big BB fan. I guess a subtle difference might be that some NFL players demand a trade and then act out to get one. Sometimes this doesn't work, often it does. Then the 2 teams just work out the details and offf the player goes. UFAs and RFAs are exactly the same as you describe, but the time periods are shorter.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 11:10 AM, NoWhiners said:

I went to check scores and the Swans schedule and saw this. Oh no, our lead over the Crows is shrinking! I don't see them beating Melbourne this week, so things are tightening up.

I thought it was played at night? Maybe that just because of the time difference and it is night here. Is it traditional to play in the afternoon?

On a related note, the Swans will be on this morning at about 12:40 am, but I can't watch because I have a golf match tomorrow. Much sadness 😞

Go Swans!

The Swans are 4 games clear of Adelaide, with only 3 games left to play in the Home & Away season.  Adelaide could theoretically catch North & Hawthorn, but it's highly unlikely with games against GWS & Richmond still to come.

In a shock, tonight I was scrolling thru the TV guide and noted that we will get the St Kilda-Hawthorn game--at 9 pm!! I will watch.

We will also get the Geelong--Essendon (11:30 pm) and Bulldogs--Eagles (2:00 am). I doubt I will make these but it's nice to have them available.

Go Swans!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

In a shock, tonight I was scrolling thru the TV guide and noted that we will get the St Kilda-Hawthorn game--at 9 pm!! I will watch.

We will also get the Geelong--Essendon (11:30 pm) and Bulldogs--Eagles (2:00 am). I doubt I will make these but it's nice to have them available.

Go Swans!

Enjoy watching ML.

Leigh