How are the Swans doing 2020

Got to see Essendon--Melbourne last night at a very reasonable hour. Saw the first half, which was close. Switched to something else at half, by the time I got back, the game was very different! Sad loss for Essendon 😞

Now, I have a question--I see a lot of players wearing skinny armbands. Is this part of their uniform or something else? They seem too small to offer any actual use. And they look tight!

Go Swans!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

If they were black armbands, it is likely due to someone important had died, a clubman or family member of someone in the team.

Yes, both teams were wearing black armbands. Maybe a death due to covid? Thanks for explaining.

Go Swans!

All players in the first round of finals will be wearing 2 arm bands. One to honour the sister of a player and one for the child of another.

It is an important tradition. Sometimes confined to one team, sometimes across the league.

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/players-will-wear-two-black-armbands-to-honour-the-sloane-varcoe-families-this-week-108272

Edited by Docker123

48 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

All players in the first round of finals will be wearing 2 arm bands. One to honour the sister of a player and one for the child of another.

It is an important tradition. Sometimes confined to one team, sometimes across the league.

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/players-will-wear-two-black-armbands-to-honour-the-sloane-varcoe-families-this-week-108272

Wasn't that back in 2018 Adrian? Not these coming finals?

Yes it is an important tradition through I would say all football leagues.

Leigh

1 hour ago, NoWhiners said:

Yes, both teams were wearing black armbands. Maybe a death due to covid? Thanks for explaining.

Go Swans!

No, not a death to Covid ML. What game was this? If both teams were wearing armbands it was possible to honour a person connected to the league who has passed away or someone from each club perhaps.

You may have noticed that Essendon had yellow bands around the armholes of their jumpers, this was to recognise the work of Challenge, an organisation that supports children with cancer. This is also one of the charities the Essendon players support by spending time with some of the children and keeping in touch with them. The jumpers that the team wore yesterday are being auctioned to raise funds for Challenge. 

Leigh

19 minutes ago, possum52 said:

No, not a death to Covid ML. What game was this? If both teams were wearing armbands it was possible to honour a person connected to the league who has passed away or someone from each club perhaps.

You may have noticed that Essendon had yellow bands around the armholes of their jumpers, this was to recognise the work of Challenge, an organisation that supports children with cancer. This is also one of the charities the Essendon players support by spending time with some of the children and keeping in touch with them. The jumpers that the team wore yesterday are being auctioned to raise funds for Challenge. 

Leigh

I thought I saw it in the Essendon game, both teams wearing black armbands. In the past, I have seen 1 team wearing them but not the other. And maybe not all the players on the same team?

It's an interesting tradition.

5 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

I thought I saw it in the Essendon game, both teams wearing black armbands. In the past, I have seen 1 team wearing them but not the other. And maybe not all the players on the same team?

It's an interesting tradition.

I don't remember any players with black armbands yesterday ML, but is it not uncommon that a player wears an armband in memory of someone important to them. They may be the only person in the team to do so.

Leigh

I thought I saw both teams wearing them last night. Pretty sure it was this game, since it came on at an early enough time I could watch. I also watched part of the St Kilda game, so maybe that was it! Tonight, if I can stay up, the Swans are on. I am going to try and watch the first half--but I bet I fall asleep.

Go Swans!

• Like 1

It's my fault, I fell asleep at the half, couldn't stay awake to cheer them on 😉

And we don't even get the first draft pick. It's the end tp a perfect season <sigh>.

Are Brisbane the favorite to win it all? Or maybe Geelong? What is the current betting?

Go Swans (there's always next year)!