Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)

Quo Vadis?

Just wanted to say, very happy with Celebrity!  This was to be our first trip with them although we are not new to cruise travel.  We were to be on an Alaskan Land and Sea trip beginning July 20 from Anchorage and ending July 31 in Vancouver.  We cancelled (well, our TA cancelled for us on April 10) and on May 6, 100% of all charges were refunded to us.  Yes, we did have a refundable rate, but most of the trip was paid for so it was a fairly high balance.  We were a party of six.  I know this is a very difficult time for everyone right now, but patience was worth it.  Will hopefully book this same trip in the future, just not sure how comfortable I am with 2021 yet.  Stay safe, all and keep a positive attitude.

20 hours ago, Blue_Flame said:

Yes, I think you are correct when cards are canceled and reissued with a new account number. 

in my case, the cards were just canceled and the other cards we currently have with the same banks are not in anyway linked to the canceled cards. I have my doubts that my refunds will find their way to another open card account that is no way linked to the closed card. 

I think there is No way the money will find your card, you need to call Celebrity. One time this happen to us, Celebrity ask us to fill a Refund form with the data of the new Credit Card, They send us the form by email, fill and sign, scan then  send back to the  refund department.

I wanted to post something about how a GOOD company handles this.  We had purchased a medical travel insurance policy from Seven Corners last year which was supposed to cover our medical expenses while traveling abroad.  It is the kind of policy where you buy a year's coverage at a time and prepay for the whole year.  I contacted the company last Friday by email and mentioned that our policy still has about 5 months left on it but obviously we won't be traveling and wondered if they could refund the premium paid for the balance of the term or offer to suspend coverage until the world opened back up again.  They responded quickly that while the policy typically isn't refundable they are making exceptions and said they would refund the pro-rated amount left and sure enough this morning the credit showed up on our credit card.  So they have earned our business again when things open up.

As for cruise insurance, the WORST possible option is buying the coverage offered by the cruise lines.  They just market insurance from others and probably get a 50% kickback from the insurers.  Best option is to go for a credit card that offers travel insurance which our Chase card does.  It's not a free card but the annual fee is saved many times over by the perks like free travel insurance.  The only thing it doesn't cover is medical which is why I opted for the Seven Corners policy.  I'm sure that once the dust settles these policies will change again so it is best to read them carefully.

Having said that it is once again unconscionable that Celebrity kept the premiums paid for the CruiseCare coverage when a cruise is cancelled (either by the customer or cruise line) and the coverage wasn't even used as they apparently did to Chief190.  Most of the coverage you pay for is things like medical, lost luggage, travel interruption and those you could not even use!  It's nothing short of theft to keep the money under these special circumstances that nobody could foresee.  I am sure if you were a squeaky enough wheel you would get your money back or at least get coverage on the re-booked trip for free.  I would take my time and work my way up the food chain at Celebrity to see if I could get that resolved in my favor if it were me.  Maybe a call to your local TV station's consumer reporter would help grease the refund skids.

Edited by NHDOC

So I’m super annoyed today.  Was booked on Celebrity Reflection for Apr. 13 and my sister was booked on a Royal Caribbean ship on Apr. 27 ....when the announced on Mar 24th that we would be cancelled I immediately let Celebrity know I wanted a refund and then called my sister to tell her she could apply for a refund and she did.  Her refund was posted to her visa on Apr 19th..... I still do not have my refund.  There is no rhyme or reason to this.....smarten up Celebrity.

We purchased  Celeb Cruise care but  due to NY Law we have to buy it from a third party..It is quite a pain in the neck to get it..not just a click on your res.  And we do not get dbl cruise points on our  credit card as it is not added to final payment.

When we took the Cruise with Confidence plan,.no one mentioned we could not get a refund on the ins charges,  We lost out on thatm  as well as our additional med and evac policy costs.  

If we did not have a large fcc to use up, we would walk away from cruising esp with X or Royal C   We have enjoyed it for many years but now that Celebrity is Royal, it  isn't the same,  and has  now exposed its uglier  side. Can't put that meanie genie back into the jar!

I got a FCC for our  Edge 4/19 cruise we cancelled - but DH's FCC has  not arrived nor have port fees & taxed.  it took 36 business days so not too bad.  That was  better than the airline refund we are waiting for - they quoted 60 days

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

Yesterday was Sunday, the day some refunds come through

.Did anyone get their refund to their credit card?

We didn't.

Not yet but I have found that the refunds  excursions, beverage package upgrade took  a couple couple of days from when X processed them to when the credit card company posted to our account.

15 minutes ago, hcat said:

We didn't.

As Jelayne mentioned, it can take several days.  Two amounts I had credited both occurred on Sundays, but one didn't credit to my account until Friday, the other on Wednesday.  I have a Visa with Chase.  People that have AMEX cards report Sunday refunds showing up on Mondays. 

Harris

Got an email from Celebrity today.

Instead of 100% cash refund they gave me FCC.

It was for an April 5th cruise that was cancelled by them.

I applied online for a 100% refund on March 14.

After >55 days waiting I get FCC instead of a refund.

I have read on these boards that they have done this

trick to others.

After I complain, do I have wait another 2 months???

I think they will do anything possible to avoid giving refunds.

I'm UPSET!!!!

I'm just curious here about refunds and how long people are waiting.  If Celebrity, not you, cancelled your cruise, when was the cruise date, when was it officially cancelled, and when did you get your refund?  I'm not asking about FCC, just refunds.  :classic_smile:  I'm only asking because of the small possibility of my August cruise being cancelled and how long it would take to process.  For me, I also have airfare and an excursion included to be refunded, so length of time kind of matters for me...

Thanks!

Edited by K.T.B.

57 minutes ago, hcat said:

We didn't.

Diddly squat🤔 63 days, no FCC or refund. Latest apologetic communication received Sunday indicates 6 to 9 weeks from cancellation.😱

47 minutes ago, MAXII said:

Diddly squat🤔 63 days, no FCC or refund. Latest apologetic communication received Sunday indicates 6 to 9 weeks from cancellation.😱

I think I've talked to both "Diddly" and "Squat" at Celebrity.   Actually, the Celebrity reps that I've talked to have been friendly and as helpful as I believe they can be.    I talked to one of them on Saturday.   Since the accounting department doesn't work on weekends, they promised an email follow-up regarding refunds and FFC for our cancelled April TA.    So far today, I've received an email addressing our FFC, a document that I've had for several weeks, for a previously cancelled Alaska cruise.   

Edited by jerryd1
  • Like 1

Success!  Called yesterday and they told me it was pushed to my credit card on May 6 and this morning some of it is there including my non-refundable flights.  Expect the rest tomorrow.

Apr 13 Reflection - cancelled by Celebrity on Mar 24 - refund requested Mar 24.  Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

I am pleased to report that despite Celebrity's stonewalling that Chase Visa has given me provisional credit for our deposits which were charged in September of 2019 after I submitted a request in writing to them via mail last week.  I have now been given credit back for all of the money we paid for the two cruises that they canceled the day after we canceled.  Some still remains provisional but I am fairly sure they will become permanent credits eventually since the first batch I disputed became permanent last week. 

My suspicion is that it's probably illegal for Celebrity to force people to accept FCC for cruises they actually canceled regardless of whether the customer canceled before they did or not, not that they would disclose this.  Celebrity's original "Cruise with Confidence" offer of 100% FCC as long as you cancel no less that 48 hours prior to sailing date (while they were still sailing) was based upon them planning on them having to "eat" some vacant cabins when the cruises sailed and they could not resell them in time, but once they canceled the cruises it is a harder position for them to support forcing customers to accept FCC because they didn't have to sail with vacant cabins (they didn't sail at all). It's probably why they cannot fight the disputed charges or the credit card companies are basically interpreting the law themselves and saying to the cruise company that unless you can prove the cruise the customer paid for actually sailed you must give the customer their money back if they ask for it.

The only money we are still waiting for is the 25% refund we were promised for the 3/6-3/15 sailing we actually went on.  That's still in the works according to Celebrity but I have also now requested that Visa go ahead and dispute the 25% refund amount against that charge and sent them the letter indicating we were supposed to be refunded but never received it.  Since the dispute process has worked well so far and it's now been well over 60 days since they promised the refund I have nothing to lose by disputing that amount as well.

Edited by NHDOC

18 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

I'm just curious here about refunds and how long people are waiting.  If Celebrity, not you, cancelled your cruise, when was the cruise date, when was it officially cancelled, and when did you get your refund?  I'm not asking about FCC, just refunds.  :classic_smile:  I'm only asking because of the small possibility of my August cruise being cancelled and how long it would take to process.  For me, I also have airfare and an excursion included to be refunded, so length of time kind of matters for me...

Thanks!

There really doesn't seem to be any correlation between the dates of cancellation and dates of refunds being issued from what I have been able to observe from the posts made here.  There may be one factor though.  If you booked through a TA it is possible that the process takes longer than if you booked direct with Celebrity.  They may be in the process of trying to work out deals with TA's to get them some of their commissions on the cancelled cruises as I have heard that Carnival has agreed to let TA's keep their commissions.  So that might be part of the delays.  They don't want to alienate the TA's or have them favor a line who treated them better once cruises start sailing again so may be trying to settle with them before making refunds to their customers.  This is only conjecture though as I have seen a couple of posts from people who got their refunds fast who said they booked direct so it could be a factor. 

My advice to you for your August cruise is to wait them out if they have not cancelled it yet.  They most likely will but are hoping you will first so they don't have to offer you the sweeter deal of 125% FCC or refund.  You have until 48 hours prior to the sailing date to cancel and will get the same deal from them (100% FCC) so why cancel early?  If you want a refund wait for them to cancel, which they probably will, and then request it.  I don't think anyone will be on cruise ships in August (not this August anyway) so it's probably like 95% sure they will cancel. It will take as long as it takes but if they don't process it in a timely manner you can always resort to disputing the charges with your credit card company (assuming you paid by CC).  That will get you instant refunds. 

Edited by NHDOC

Celebrity cancelled our May 9th Norway cruise on March 24th.  We had booked direct with them and cancelled immediately using the link in the email.  Flights were also booked with Air Canada through Choice Air and were non refundable - email noted we would have to deal direct with Air Canada for flights (previous cancellations of non refundable air were refunded by Celebrity).  Air Canada directed us back to Celebrity as the booking was treated as a 3rd party booking.  I emailed Choice Air supervisors on the advice of the rep I spoke to, they said they would look into it and let me know in 7 - 10 days.  I know they were slammed so did not followup until 30 days later, again they said they would look into and get back to me which surprisingly, they did a couple days later.  Good news - AC agreed to refund the tickets but it would be 60 days!

In the meantime, no word from Celebrity when the cruise fares would be refunded.  Checked yesterday, nothing.  Checked this thread today since someone else said they had just received the refunds on their credit card and VOILA - full refund of the cruise fare!  Yippee!!!  Now I just have to fight with TD to get the refund back into my bank account - they will not transfer a credit balance to a bank account for some reason, I have to get a cash advance (which means I have to line up outside the bank for an hour, wearing  my mask!!!).

Guess I will have to wait for the AC refund but I am just happy they agreed to give back my money rather than a voucher.

Hang in there people!

2 hours ago, NHDOC said:

There really doesn't seem to be any correlation between the dates of cancellation and dates of refunds being issued from what I have been able to observe from the posts made here.  There may be one factor though.  If you booked through a TA it is possible that the process takes longer than if you booked direct with Celebrity.  They may be in the process of trying to work out deals with TA's to get them some of their commissions on the cancelled cruises as I have heard that Carnival has agreed to let TA's keep their commissions.  So that might be part of the delays.  They don't want to alienate the TA's or have them favor a line who treated them better once cruises start sailing again so may be trying to settle with them before making refunds to their customers.  This is only conjecture though as I have seen a couple of posts from people who got their refunds fast who said they booked direct so it could be a factor. 

My advice to you for your August cruise is to wait them out if they have not cancelled it yet.  They most likely will but are hoping you will first so they don't have to offer you the sweeter deal of 125% FCC or refund.  You have until 48 hours prior to the sailing date to cancel and will get the same deal from them (100% FCC) so why cancel early?  If you want a refund wait for them to cancel, which they probably will, and then request it.  I don't think anyone will be on cruise ships in August (not this August anyway) so it's probably like 95% sure they will cancel. It will take as long as it takes but if they don't process it in a timely manner you can always resort to disputing the charges with your credit card company (assuming you paid by CC).  That will get you instant refunds. 

That's my assumption.  They want the passengers to cancel so they can get out of actually issuing refunds.  I won't do that since I have "non-refundable" airfare booked through Celebrity.  If I cancel, I lose that money; if Celebrity cancels, they must refund.  It benefits me to wait.  If it's not cancelled, I go.  Though I just found out the Cayman Islands is closed to tourists until Sept. 1, but I'm ok with that.

On 5/11/2020 at 12:49 PM, CruzrwKidz said:

Just wanted to say, very happy with Celebrity!  This was to be our first trip with them although we are not new to cruise travel.  We were to be on an Alaskan Land and Sea trip beginning July 20 from Anchorage and ending July 31 in Vancouver.  We cancelled (well, our TA cancelled for us on April 10) and on May 6, 100% of all charges were refunded to us.  Yes, we did have a refundable rate, but most of the trip was paid for so it was a fairly high balance.  We were a party of six.  I know this is a very difficult time for everyone right now, but patience was worth it.  Will hopefully book this same trip in the future, just not sure how comfortable I am with 2021 yet.  Stay safe, all and keep a positive attitude.

Its posts like this that worry me.  I cancelled on 25th March and as at 12th May no sign of a refund., so an extra 3 weeks wait and still no money They cruise was all paid for in January so there is a large balance owing.  No real communication from Celebrity other than its being processed.

Does anyone know if Celebrity have any kind of system for refunds?

20 hours ago, BP99 said:

Got an email from Celebrity today.

Instead of 100% cash refund they gave me FCC.

It was for an April 5th cruise that was cancelled by them.

I applied online for a 100% refund on March 14.

After >55 days waiting I get FCC instead of a refund.

I have read on these boards that they have done this

trick to others.

After I complain, do I have wait another 2 months???

I think they will do anything possible to avoid giving refunds.

I'm UPSET!!!!

Same thing happened to us, and yes we now have to wait another 60 days.

Beware. If you payed off a cruise early and try to cancel Celebrity will try to charge you a $900 cancellation penalty. Even if you booked with a $50 dollar refundable deposit. I am fighting with them over it right now. 

Edited by clskinsfan

We opted to have a refund on march 24 after X cancelled our Equinox 21 April cruise. We noticed a refund to our credit card on May 7 and a second one on May 10 for the rest port taxes and gratuities. No notice on anything in writing. So, instead of a nice letter from Lisa we got nothing. 

We are still waiting for something on March 21 cruise on the Edge that we opted for FCC. We used a TA on this cruise. Bad mistake. 

2 hours ago, mahi mahi said:

Checked this thread today since someone else said they had just received the refunds on their credit card and VOILA - full refund of the cruise fare!  Yippee!!!  Now I just have to fight with TD to get the refund back into my bank account - they will not transfer a credit balance to a bank account for some reason, I have to get a cash advance (which means I have to line up outside the bank for an hour, wearing  my mask!!!).

I had already checked with TD BEFORE I got the refund....they told me to wait 3 day after I see it posted to my account and then cal them back and they will transfer the credit to my account.  I called the 800 # on the back of my credit card.  I will call them Friday to get mine done.