Just received Edocs for Apr 12 cruise out of Vancouver

bebe08

I understand that these are unprecedented times and X is very busy....but surely they should have pulled the plug on sending out edocs for a cruise that can't possibly go ahead as planned.  No mention in the email of any changes even though it was announced last week that port of Vancouver is closed until at least July 1st.  It worries me that there are people out there who aren't following the news who will attempt to show up at Vancouver port or this cruise.  I have done my best to be patient with Celebrity and give them benefit of the doubt but ...  The cruise industry already has a black eye and this is the type of thing that adds insult to injury.   

Yes I could cancel myself and take the FCC.  However based on the way this is being handled not sure how much cruising is in my future; in addition I already have a FCC for a cancelled Japan cruise so I don't have the need for more.

Here is an interesting article: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fpolitics%2Fcruise-ships-kept-sailing-as-coronavirus-spread-travelers-and-health-experts-question-why%2F2020%2F03%2F20%2F5b640f14-67e2-11ea-b5f1-a5a804158597_story.html%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2pS8lpwq9gFHrvVvQHCDOWy-nLFANscStB_GWLu3m7Pt8hWyFHY1cGcZA&h=AT0mXpIGXw9L5rwVSfNM5VVUg8digWZdeOprBSqDhWFUvd--DU0JGKDmusJqQB2P3Isf40bC-GHkztBzxLK_Gpare2Tbe4slnUNI8r-FYV3-JKeh3KVHapCV3BxRXIWr_oc

The edoc's for a 4/19 cruise have been available on my booking for about 6 weeks.  Not a big deal, like your 4/12 it is unlikely these will sail but until such time as they are cancelled the routine programmed information will continue to be generated.

36 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The edoc's for a 4/19 cruise have been available on my booking for about 6 weeks.  Not a big deal, like your 4/12 it is unlikely these will sail but until such time as they are cancelled the routine programmed information will continue to be generated.

To clarify I received an email today telling me docs were ready.  I had been watching online in my cruise planner and docs and luggage tags were unavailable which I took as a good sign.  Today the email advised they were available and sure enough they are.

bebe08.  I agree with Jelayne.  Probably all automated emails.  They will continue to be sent for all cruises that are after April 11 until the next round of cancellations. 

What people are not following the news?  Will they emerge from their caves happily unaware just in time to go on an expensive cruise?  😄

15 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

bebe08.  I agree with Jelayne.  Probably all automated emails.  They will continue to be sent for all cruises that are after April 11 until the next round of cancellations. 

What people are not following the news?  Will they emerge from their caves happily unaware just in time to go on an expensive cruise?  😄

True enough.  These are stressful times and receiving that email from X yesterday seemed like the last straw regarding our cruise. I am expecting a cancellation notice and instead I get an email that edocs are ready.  I do feel like they could be doing more with regards to communications.  Thanks for the laugh, you put things in perspective 🙂 

• Like 1

LOL! Today I received a second mailing of our luggage tags for our cancelled Edge cruise that isn't sailing tomorrow. I know they're stretched to the limit but it would have been nice to get my refund email instead of another set of tags. I was trying to transfer my travel insurance policy to my new cruise and they require an accounting of the refund. Hoping they accept the generic cancellation email that Celebrity sent to everyone. Happy sailing...

59 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

What people are not following the news?

Celebrity management? They don't seem to be aware of the Canadian ban on cruise ships, the border closure for tourists or the US Level 4 Do Not Travel warning.

Seriously, rather than saving them up and announcing cancellations in 30-day batches, they should at minimum have a weekly update looking ahead the next 4 weeks. It's patently obvious that @bebe08's cruise isn't going to go ahead, so why delay announcing the cancellation? All it does is frustrate the passenger still booked  -  I chose to cancel 2 weeks ago  -  and continue to raise questions about Celebrity's ability to respond to the situation.  

I received similar email with e docs and luggage tag for my May Bermuda cruise this morning.

It would take a miracle for it to be able to sail.  I'm not cancelling but I'm doubting Bermuda will have reopened its port by that time.  They are rich and don't need our money or germs.

On 3/20/2020 at 5:42 PM, jelayne said:

Computers are known to have viruses...but X's seem not to have succumbed to this one.

• Like 1

Yep, I still get e-mails about upcoming excursions.  And my luggage tags also arrived.  Sadly, the computer generated algorithms have not caught up to the times...How quickly things like eDocs and luggage tags have become part of cruising nostalgia.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

BTW, the Washington Post article is short sighted, IMO...In the US, reports about the virus hardly got a mention on the news until late February.  Nobody knew what this was going to snowball into, or how quickly.  The first ship that was quarantined was done so over in Asia where the virus had already been festering for a while.  The cruise lines, like much of the world, were not the only ones who were slow to react and with a few exceptions, remained healthy before they were forced to stop sailing.  The article implies that the cruise industry somehow had a hand in making this virus go from an epidemic to a pandemic.  I think one must take a much closer look at the point of origin before coming to that sort of conclusion.  On February 14th my daughter got married in New Orleans....during Mardi Gras season.  People were everywhere!  The city was a mass of humanity...a complete zoo!   Two days after their wedding, they got on a cruise ship for their honey moon.  Not a peep about Corona virus at that time.  Currently, in our area, even now, people have not heeded the warnings about social distancing.  News reports show throngs of teens hanging out in a nearby park and determined spring breakers filling up the beaches of Florida.  Indeed, articles such as these will ensure the slow rebound of the cruise industry...especially if people blame the industry for the spread.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

I think it’s important to get news from multiple sources.  It has been covered extensively in Washington state, and our scientists and medical personnel have been telling us for some time.  Listen to scientists, not opinion personnel on newsertainment channels on TV. 

On 3/21/2020 at 9:12 AM, TeeRick said:

Funny how we respect that they are "automated" but with any other business we would consider it incompetent.  The lack of adequate technology is mind blowing.  Always has been.

• Like 2

... Just received this email from Hawaii Tourism:

“Aloha from our home to yours.

Hawaii has a long tradition of welcoming visitors from around the world. The hookipa (hospitality) and Aloha Spirit that people feel as they explore our islands has become stuff of legends. 

At this time however, like many of you, we are focusing on the health and safety of our community, visitor industry employees, health care professionals and our healthcare system. As a small, remote island community, our residents are particularly vulnerable to the COVID-19 crisis. 

Hawaii Governor David Ige has asked that you postpone your trips to Hawaii to give us the opportunity to address this health crisis. To that end he has mandated a 14-day quarantine for all visitors and residents entering the state. In addition, the island mayors have over the past few days instituted home lockdowns except for essential personnel. 

Like all visitors to Hawaii, we would like you to experience the best the islands have to offer. Now, unfortunately, is clearly not the time. 

Mahalo and a hui hou (until we meet again). 

The Hawaiian Islands”
spacer50.gif