P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Well it is nearly next year. Best wishes to you all and a prosperous and happy year. I don't usually make new years resolutions but a change is as good as a rest so I thought I would try and help my friends gain weight so that I look slimmer. I was thinking of quitting my bad habits but then thought "nobody loves a quitter"

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

Jane, so pleased you are on the road to recovery and posted at the end of a horrible year for you. You have given excellent service to your community and deserve peace and good health in the future. The people on this thread are a good bunch and care about each other, even though most have never met.

A Happy New Year to you and everyone else who grace these pages. Let's hope 23 is a good one for us all.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Jane - welcome back to your happy place !

We  have missed you. Hopefully you will have a glass or two  of  Adnams  when in Southwold. 

Thank you very much Wowzz. Unfortunately I don't drink alcohol of any kind these days but I love the smell of the brewery when wandering around the town! Happy New Year to you and Mrs Wowzz. Best wishes. Jane.xx

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Wow! What a marvellous welcome home you've all given me.  A heartfelt thanks to you all.

I started replying to you all individually but after I messaged Wowzz my quote button stopped working so do forgive this being a collective.

Just a couple of things to say to:

Lincslady. I am so sorry to hear about your husband. Christmas and New Year must be a very difficult time for you. I hope you are coping as well as you can and have family and friends to offer support.

Harry. Thanks Harry - you always understood. Since I left the practice, 2 docs have also taken early retirement which speaks for itself.

So whatever you are all doing tonight, have a peaceful time and here's to 2023 being a good, happy, healthy New Year for us all. 

With very best wishes.

Jane.xxxx

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

11 hours ago, Beckett said:

Hello Everyone

Some of you may remember me but most of you won’t know me from Adam!

I'm Jane, who used to post quite regularly during Covid times, when I was working as a Practice Manager at a GP Practice. Sadly the NHS and I finally parted company, after 33 years, at the end of May.  My stress levels were out of control and I became quite (very on occasion) ill.  Long story short, I more or less withdrew from life. Took myself off all social media and quietly disappeared from everyone except my closest family. 

Happily, things are so much better now for me. I've been looking at CC and reading the boards for a few weeks now and I'm so glad to see that all my old friends are still active. It was however Avril's lovely post just before Christmas when she sent good wishes to all on the forum including those who no longer post. I thought - that's me! That gave me the impetus to say hello to you all again so ...hello!

I haven't cruised this year but have taken a couple of breaks in Southwold in Suffolk which is my happy place. I have booked for October '23 on Britannia -  so I can once more be a valid contributor to CC.

I wish you all, old friends and new, a very happy and healthy New Year.

With very best wishes to you all.

Jane. X

A very good morning Jane😊

Welcome back into the family fold, you have been truly missed. I am so pleased you are posting again.

It's understandable how the past few years took it's toll, but being a strong determined lady you fought back and won. Now it's time to concentrate on yourself, your family, your friends, and enjoy your retirement. 

I'm pleased my post helped in some small way, and will admit that you were in the forefront of my mind when I typed those words.

I wish you and your family a very Happy and Healthy New Year Jane, you deserve it and keep posting whether cruising or not.

I wish I could give you a real hug, but this will have to do🤗🤗

Avril x

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

I'm afraid us 'oldies' can be a stubborn pain in the neck.  In a way it is a good sign, of grit and determination, but I know it can cause grief for the next generation.

I think it's more pride than stubbornness. Our mind contantly tells us we're 40 years younger than we actually are. At least mine does, but unfortunately the body doesn't agree.😒

Avril

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Well it is nearly next year. Best wishes to you all and a prosperous and happy year. I don't usually make new years resolutions but a change is as good as a rest so I thought I would try and help my friends gain weight so that I look slimmer. I was thinking of quitting my bad habits but then thought "nobody loves a quitter"

Hmm, what a good idea, I never thought of that. Easier and much more fun than trying to lose my own weight.😁

A Very Happy New Year  to you and yours. 🥂

Avril x

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, you are right, Avril.  Plus convincing the younger ones that we are possibly fitter than we actually are.  I certainly am of the opinion that I feel generally like someone of about 45 or 50, until I try to do something physically that I am not really capable of.  Although I have some neighbours and local friends who would rush to help if I needed it, I try no to worry the 'kids' as they both live several hours drive away.

I still have a over a year on my passport, and occasionally think about cruising again - maybe I will have the courage to take the plunge.  My best friend who used to cruise a lot has not renewed her passport, sadly, and is even older than me, so I would be a  'solo' cruiser, and for that reason and the transport I would probably be on a S*** ship (don't tell anyone) who are particularly good for solos and people with slight walking problems etc.  The P and O ships which would appeal would certainly be the older, much smaller ones, when I read reports on here.  As some of you say, they will probably be mothballed eventually, with the two new ones which will appeal to a wider and larger audience  (if P and O get their act together shortly with Arvia of course, which they no doubt will).  I wonder if they have done any shakedown trips for existing customers, free or reduced prices prior to the inaugural?   We did one some years ago on another line, four nights which you paid for but got all of it back if and when you booked another within a year or so - worked very well for the staff to see how everything shaped up with fewer on board.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

A very good morning Jane😊

Welcome back into the family fold, you have been truly missed. I am so pleased you are posting again.

It's understandable how the past few years took it's toll, but being a strong determined lady you fought back and won. Now it's time to concentrate on yourself, your family, your friends, and enjoy your retirement. 

I'm pleased my post helped in some small way, and will admit that you were in the forefront of my mind when I typed those words.

I wish you and your family a very Happy and Healthy New Year Jane, you deserve it and keep posting whether cruising or not.

I wish I could give you a real hug, but this will have to do🤗🤗

Avril x

Dear Avril

Thank you for the hugs - they were warm and welcoming and just lovely.

It was entirely your post that brought me back into the fold - so not in a small way at all. I'm so happy today to be talking to old friends again and so thankful to you Avril.

I send my very best wishes to you and Frank and all your family for 2023. Be well, be happy, and keep being your lovely caring self.

With love.

Jane.xxxx

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Dear Avril

Thank you for the hugs - they were warm and welcoming and just lovely.

It was entirely your post that brought me back into the fold - so not in a small way at all. I'm so happy today to be talking to old friends again and so thankful to you Avril.

I send my very best wishes to you and Frank and all your family for 2023. Be well, be happy, and keep being your lovely caring self.

With love.

Jane.xxxx

Lovely post Jane.

Wishing you All the best.

Graham xx

ny-278.gif

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Beckett said:

Hello Everyone

I'm Jane, who used to post quite regularly during Covid times, when I was working as a Practice Manager at a GP Practice. Sadly the NHS and I finally parted company, after 33 years, at the end of May.  My stress levels were out of control and I became quite (very on occasion) ill.  Long story short, I more or less withdrew from life. Took myself off all social media and quietly disappeared from everyone except my closest family. 

Happily, things are so much better now for me. I've been looking at CC and reading the boards for a few weeks now and I'm so glad to see that all my old friends are still active. It was however Avril's lovely post just before Christmas when she sent good wishes to all on the forum including those who no longer post. I thought - that's me! That gave me the impetus to say hello to you all again so ...hello!

I haven't cruised this year but have taken a couple of breaks in Southwold in Suffolk which is my happy place. I have booked for October '23 on Britannia -  so I can once more be a valid contributor to CC.

Jane. X

Hi Jane

Great to hear from you and a very happy new year to you. Unfortunately life in the NHS has not improved since you left and I’m also considering how much longer I can tolerate it for. Lots to plan and consider in 2023.

I’m so glad you’re feeling better and have lots to look forward to.

Deb x

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Busy in port today - three on berth and sat with a cold drink watching two tendering.

And several more turning up later for the fireworks. 

I would love to see some photos of the fireworks if you find time. It's been a few years since I last saw that magnificant display.

Have a Happy New Year .

Avril

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Hi Jane

Great to hear from you and a very happy new year to you. Unfortunately life in the NHS has not improved since you left and I’m also considering how much longer I can tolerate it for. Lots to plan and consider in 2023.

I’m so glad you’re feeling better and have lots to look forward to.

Deb x

That’s a very sad and worrying post. NHS workers have been treated appallingly since the pandemic, but the pressure’s never eased and the staffing gets worse.

How incredibly hollow and cynical all those public displays of cheering and clapping were!

• Like 8

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

That’s a very sad and worrying post. NHS workers have been treated appallingly since the pandemic, but the pressure’s never eased and the staffing gets worse.

How incredibly hollow and cynical all those public displays of cheering and clapping were!

The other side of the coin we never hear about is when thigs go right ..

My Mrs is now eligible for her pneumonia jab and a tv advert prompted her to ring our 

local surgery up yesterday afternoon .

The receptionist said "Yes we will see you Tuesday if that's any good"

"What this Tuesday coming ?" asked Mrs K  

They do a great job through these difficult times through no fault of their own .🥰

• Like 10

17 hours ago, Beckett said:

Hello Everyone

Jane. X

Lovely to see you posting on here again.

Sorry to hear you haven’t been so well but hopefully you are in the road to recovery and that 2023 will be much better for you

Michelle

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

BF609974-803C-4CDD-9769-043A88DE2AB8.jpeg.eb0b38450f8a0fb6624a408de520b11a.jpeg

The one I used to go to was so posh, they called it the James .

The fist time I went there the instructor instructor advised me to wear loose clothing

while  I'm exercising. I would not have joined the gym if I had any loose clothing !

They had all sorts of equipment you could use, so I decided to hop on a treadmill 

but everyone gave me strange looks until I ran on it same as others using them .

Next year I really need to call down there and cancel my membership  as it's just 

not "working out for me "😉

Take care and best wishes to you all :classic_love:64627-3199391e-3406-497d-9aa3-aa91ad369ec4.jpg.0d8369c1c964c73a9a0c5ee71c6963c5.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1