P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Very mixed Harry but I've enjoyed it all. When I first started in Leicester Square, I, and most of us, were only 16/17 and we were given dire warnings about the whole area for our own safety, and naivety I suppose. "Under no circumstances venture into Greek Street during your lunch breaks" we were told. So where was the first place everyone went on that first day - Greek Street! It was a bit of an eye opener I must admit. Thankfully I came to no harm in my time in the West End. I only had to travel from the end of the Northern Line  so travelling was easy. It was a fantastic experience for a youngster.

Jane xxx

And under no circumstances expose breasts in shop windows.

• Haha 2

Kings College Hospital for me at first typing the reports .  The creme de a creme.   Very strict too.  We were looked over and our appearance checked.  Then on to Central London, mostly as Legal Secretary.  When the kids were young I was a secretary/Practice Manager for a local GP.

Best job and best boss was Winston, just two of us working in crime in Herne Hill/Brixton. rushing off to Courts, getting Defendants and "the lady night workers" out of their houses and into Court on time.   Very sad working on the tragic Deptford fire, do you remember that? Did Law Courts and Bailey just once or twice.    I'll never forget the funniest memory, but not a funny situation, we were sitting in Barrister's office when they had to look at some dodgy videos but on fast forward.   I looked out the window mostly!   I didn't realise that sometimes I wasn't safe till much later.

Memories of Choumert Road,  and Rye Lane, Peckham where you could get all your shopping for a few  quid in the 60s.  Now the very small houses by the market are over a million!

Now memories will be popping in my head all day and  will drive me nuts!

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

I did my store training in Dickens and Jones Gill - in 1973. I was at college in Leicester Square next to the big Odeon cinema. We had to do training in store each term. I went to John Lewis, Dickens and Jones, and Harrods. I was offered a job at Harrods which I did for a year but nearly got sacked because whilst dressing a window I left a mannequin with breasts exposed whilst I went to get more stock! Luckily, they let me off with a very stern warning. I loved working in Central London. 

I then moved on to a music publishing company for 17 years and finally general practice for the rest of my working life. Where have those years gone? 

Best wishes. Jane xxx

I went to the college at Leicester Square too on day release for 2 years whilst working at D&J….. worked in quite a few departments and then the stint in the buying office finished me off! 🤣

x

• Like 3

Reading about Greek Street.  In the very eary 60s,  or even maybe 59, before going to Kings I did a short stint as a very junior junior at the British Sugar Corporation at Piccadilly.

In the morning my job was to go to Shepherd Market to get the rolls.   For a while I didn't really know why the ladies were calling  and waving out of the windows.  I presumed everyone was just friendly. It took a while to sink in.  I still smile at my naivety now  😇

Edited by indiana123
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

As a gas board apprentice aged 15 in 1968 my 1st weeks wages was 5 quid take home.It did go up to around a tenner shortly after.

In 1965 my first wage as an apprentice was £1.17s & 6d for a 44 hour week....stayed at that for 6 months....next 6 months went up to £2.00

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Kings College Hospital for me at first typing the reports .  The creme de a creme.   Very strict too.  We were looked over and our appearance checked.  Then on to Central London, mostly as Legal Secretary.  When the kids were young I was a secretary/Practice Manager for a local GP.

Best job and best boss was Winston, just two of us working in crime in Herne Hill/Brixton. rushing off to Courts, getting Defendants and "the lady night workers" out of their houses and into Court on time.   Very sad working on the tragic Deptford fire, do you remember that? Did Law Courts and Bailey just once or twice.    I'll never forget the funniest memory, but not a funny situation, we were sitting in Barrister's office when they had to look at some dodgy videos but on fast forward.   I looked out the window mostly!   I didn't realise that sometimes I wasn't safe till much later.

Memories of Choumert Road,  and Rye Lane, Peckham where you could get all your shopping for a few  quid in the 60s.  Now the very small houses by the market are over a million!

Now memories will be popping in my head all day and  will drive me nuts!

Absolutely fascinating Indiana. I envy your past life. I'd have loved that. Unfortunately I didn't really know what I wanted to do until much later in life and by then I had been grabbed by the NHS where my heart still lies. Yes I do remember the Deptford fire. That must have been a very difficult one to work on.

I was one week after my 18th birthday when I got called for Jury Service at The Bailey. I didn't get on to a case during my 2 week stint (got rejected twice) but I loved just being there. 

I agree about memories popping back into your head. I'll be the same all day! Jane xxx

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I went to the college at Leicester Square too on day release for 2 years whilst working at D&J….. worked in quite a few departments and then the stint in the buying office finished me off! 🤣

x

It was a great place to be wasn't it Gill? The College for the Distributive Trades as it was called then. I think it's a radio building now. I couldn't have been a buyer - so much at stake if any of your buys disappear without mention!  I did design and window dressing and even did a short stint at St.Martins art college but to be honest I wasn't good enough - not when you get with the real elite. Jane xxx

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Last time I went 'Up West' Brian, and looked at the window displays, I'd probably get the sack for NOT exposing beasts now! Jane xx

Beasts or breasts - whichever way you look at it. Take Katie Price for example! J.xx

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Beckett said:

It was a great place to be wasn't it Gill? The College for the Distributive Trades as it was called then. I think it's a radio building now. I couldn't have been a buyer - so much at stake if any of your buys disappear without mention!  I did design and window dressing and even did a short stint at St.Martins art college but to be honest I wasn't good enough - not when you get with the real elite. Jane xxx

That was it…..

Capital Radio was in that block at one point (no idea if it still is).

Loved my time at D&J altho some of the buyers were dragons!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Very mixed Harry but I've enjoyed it all. When I first started in Leicester Square, I, and most of us, were only 16/17 and we were given dire warnings about the whole area for our own safety, and naivety I suppose. "Under no circumstances venture into Greek Street during your lunch breaks" we were told. So where was the first place everyone went on that first day - Greek Street! It was a bit of an eye opener I must admit.

Must have been Ian Hislop, Willie Ruston and all those other naughty people in the Private Eye offices! They’d have corrupted you, Jane - very anti-establishment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Reading about Greek Street.  In the very eary 60s,  or even maybe 59, before going to Kings I did a short stint as a very junior junior at the British Sugar Corporation at Piccadilly.

In the morning my job was to go to Shepherd Market to get the rolls.   For a while I didn't really know why the ladies were calling  and waving out of the windows.  I presumed everyone was just friendly. It took a while to sink in.  I still smile at my naivety now  😇

True story.When I was a service engineer for Ascot/New World I had a job in Shepherd market.The lady's name was Fifi and was a French model.An old lady let me in and showed me into the bedroom,Fifi was sitting there in her nightdress,I thought blimey this modelling lark must be tiring.Anyway I carried out my service and she gave ME a tenner tip.This was in the 70s where they had little gas water heaters over the sink.

Edited by brian1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, brian1 said:

True story.When I was a service engineer for Ascot/New World I had a job in Shepherd market.The lady's name was Fifi and was a French model.An old lady let me in and showed me into the bedroom,Fifi was sitting there in her nightdress,I thought blimey this modelling lark must be tiring.Anyway I carried out my service and she gave ME a tenner tip.This was in the 70s where they had little gas water heaters over the sink.

I’ve always wondered who that bloke was that interrupted things. Nice to have met you, Brian - what a coincidence!

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

That was it…..

Capital Radio was in that block at one point (no idea if it still is).

Loved my time at D&J altho some of the buyers were dragons!

Yes, Capital Radio is still there alongside the umbrella company, Global, which incorporates Heart, Magic, LBS, and a few others. What an incredible coincidence we've uncovered Gill! Xxx

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Must have been Ian Hislop, Willie Ruston and all those other naughty people in the Private Eye offices! They’d have corrupted you, Jane - very anti-establishment.

As am I Harry, as am I - must have been in the right place and the right time to be corrupted. Ian Hislop is still one of my favourite people!  Jane xxx

• Like 3

The tales of places you were advised to avoid brings back more Navy memories. When we were visiting foreign ports we were given stern words in Daily Orders of places to avoid. Needless to say they were the first on the must does, unless a badgeman (someone with a few years service) advised against it, which weren't many !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beckett said:

That was my late dad's favourite expression too Graham - they knew a thing or two these dads. These posts have been great fun and given us all a chance to wander down memory lane.

Loved the photos from your meal out with Sarah. The food looked superb. I'm so glad to hear Sarah's doing well and hope it continues. Have a lovely weekend Graham.

Best wishes. Jane xxx

Thank you for your lovely words Jane.

It is nice having you posting regularly again and I hope you also have a lovely weekend.

Graham xx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Beckett said:

Very mixed Harry but I've enjoyed it all. When I first started in Leicester Square, I, and most of us, were only 16/17 and we were given dire warnings about the whole area for our own safety, and naivety I suppose. "Under no circumstances venture into Greek Street during your lunch breaks" we were told. So where was the first place everyone went on that first day - Greek Street! It was a bit of an eye opener I must admit. Thankfully I came to no harm in my time in the West End. I only had to travel from the end of the Northern Line  so travelling was easy. It was a fantastic experience for a youngster.

Jane xxx

When I left school I worked in Chancery Lane. Friday nights was middle earth  or an all night at the lyceum seeing  bands like Jeff Beck, The who. Kinks etc and walking home to Putney in the early hours of Saturday. My mum worked in Oxford Street until she retired. Nothing to beat Central London in those days......Now...not so sure.

• Like 3

Just now, zap99 said:

When I left school I worked in Chancery Lane. Friday nights was middle earth  or an all night at the lyceum seeing  bands like Jeff Beck, The who. Kinks etc and walking home to Putney in the early hours of Saturday. My mum worked in Oxford Street until she retired. Nothing to beat Central London in those days......Now...not so sure.

You're making me jealous !

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Age 15 Grays Inn Road. for Sunday Times, Messenger for 10 months, took me all over London 57 years ago

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Wow. You've seen the best of the best Zap. Did you ever go to The Roundhouse in Camden for the Sunday concerts? They were great too - a bit progressive but some great bands. Having said that it was a real hippy hang-out and the air was thick with the smell of illegal smoke. Maybe that's why I enjoyed them so much! Central London is, and never will be, the same again. Now it's full of rough sleepers, beggars, and dodgy geezers. J.x

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Wow. You've seen the best of the best Zap. Did you ever go to The Roundhouse in Camden for the Sunday concerts? They were great too - a bit progressive but some great bands. Having said that it was a real hippy hang-out and the air was thick with the smell of illegal smoke. Maybe that's why I enjoyed them so much! Central London is, and never will be, the same again. Now it's full of rough sleepers, beggars, and dodgy geezers. J.x

There was a pub in Dagenham called the Roundhouse with a hall at the back called the Village.All the top headbanging bands there like Deep Purple etc.Even saw Elton John there just b4 he was world famous.

• Like 4