P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Sounds like your having a great birthday Pete ,Happy birthday " Soon be dinner time and 

you can eat what you like ..including the salad bar 😉

Enjoy your day 🙂

I will pass on the salad and leave it to others more needy than me. Spent the morning catching birds (not for lunch)

AA8488ED-BBA1-4E89-BFB9-910833642D57.jpeg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Ah, fabulous Thoresby Hall! I enjoy Warner Hotels but don't like the current menus with an emphasis on spicy food! Hope you are having a wonderful birthday!

We booked early enough to eat in the table service Brasserie which has a more varied menu ( for the same price)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Ah yes, but it seems our government prefers to get thousands of new (mostly very expensive) homes or solar panels built on farmers' fields...

We have 4 solar farms here, built by the local authority, all built on poor quality land suitable only for growing grass for grazing. I have seen sheep grazing amongst them, so still in use for agricultural purposes. The estimated payback has been 8 years for the first one, payback was achieved in less than half that period. What we should be doing is covering retail park car parks with solar panels, something I have seen happening in France and Spain. France has now made it a requirement that car parks of 80 or more spaces need to covered with solar panel canopies. Why isn’t the U.K. Government doing the same? 

https://www.cittimagazine.co.uk/comment/frances-plan-for-solar-panels-on-all-car-parks-is-just-the-start-of-an-urban-renewable-revolution.html

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I grew them in the unheated greenhouse the same as the tomatoes. I planted each seed in a fibre pot and put in a propagater in the greenhouse, they grew quickly, and when big enough planted them out into the greenhouse border. They need netting to grow against as they're climbers, but other than that, very straightforward. I followed the instructions on the packet and was surprised how easy it was. I grew all female flower cucumbers so no need to worry with the fertilisation of the flowers. If I can grow them anyone can.

Avril

Thanks. I might give it a go. We grow lots of fruit and berries etc but have never really tried veg.

My dad used to grow lots of salad, sybies and tomatoes in the greenhouse and the neighbours loads of different vegetables. There were always fresh veg of one type or another left at the door when there was a glut. I first tried purple sprouting broccoli from a neighbours garden.

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

Ah yes, but it seems our government prefers to get thousands of new (mostly very expensive) homes or solar panels built on farmers' fields...

There's loads of big allotments round our way still unscathed in very desirable building locations.I don't know if they have special status or not,Brian.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have spent most of the day touring car showrooms searching for our next car.  We finally settled on a Toyota, expected delivery September so we now have something to look forward to after our currently booked cruises.

What model have you decided on?

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have spent most of the day touring car showrooms searching for our next car.  We finally settled on a Toyota, expected delivery September so we now have something to look forward to after our currently booked cruises.

One of the most reliable brands available in the UK. And probably our next car too, for precisely that reason. With luck, you’ll spend less time in the garage with the SatNav!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Is it a hybrid  ? 

There have been battery issues - have a look at some of the Toyota owner forums.  

23 minutes ago, brian1 said:

There's loads of big allotments round our way still unscathed in very desirable building locations.I don't know if they have special status or not,Brian.

Allotments have some protection from development from the 1925 Allotment Act. My local council has further protected allotments by including them in its Green Network, along with Nature Reserves, SSSIs, Fields in Trust and Village greens. I understand other councils have done similar exercises.

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2023 at 2:45 PM, Peanut006 said:

Good afternoon everyone, hope you are all well today. 

We have finally made it onto the ship (Azura) after an early morning flight. I have managed to book The Glass House and Sindu restaurants so far. The weather is beautiful so currently laid on a sunned, hubby has gone to get me a Pina Colada. All is good!!! 

Take care everyone and have a nice weekend 

Michelle

Lovely! Love the Glass House on Azura, have a lovely cruise.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Is it a hybrid  ? 

There have been battery issues - have a look at some of the Toyota owner forums.  

Apart from Aygo and Land Cruiser all brew Toyotas are Hybrid or full electric.

From what I have read the battery issue appears to occur mainly with those cars which aren’t used on a regular basis or only driven short distances.

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Is it a hybrid  ? 

If you based your buying decisions on the negative threads of any owner forums you’d never buy another car!  Every brand, every model, has its faults (Lexus probably having the fewest) but they’re somewhat overemphasised on forums.

Perhaps like the ‘lowering standards’ threads here?  😉

• Like 3

7 hours ago, pete14 said:

Thanks Avril. It has started well with a nice breakfast of eggs Benedict and a couple of rashers of bacon, washed down with lashings of hot black coffee.

No champagne ?????

Hope you had / are having a great birthday celebration ! You kept that quiet ... not secret any more 😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Hi Brian, nothing to do with allotments but help needed re Italy in April over Easter.

We are off to Sorrento for a week over the Easter break and though we have been a number of times in August have no idea what to expect at all in terms of weather, what to wear, what Easter Sunday will be like. We are planning to avoid anything on the Amalfi Coast over the weekend etc but not sure what to expect in the hotels in terms of dress code that time of the year. We are normally in nice Summer wear ! Help (Staying at a nice 4 star hotel --- Grand Hotel de La Ville) .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Hi Brian, nothing to do with allotments but help needed re Italy in April over Easter.

We are off to Sorrento for a week over the Easter break and though we have been a number of times in August have no idea what to expect at all in terms of weather, what to wear, what Easter Sunday will be like. We are planning to avoid anything on the Amalfi Coast over the weekend etc but not sure what to expect in the hotels in terms of dress code that time of the year. We are normally in nice Summer wear ! Help (Staying at a nice 4 star hotel --- Grand Hotel de La Ville) .

No worries P2 I will formulate an answer in the morning as we have just finished our drinks and dinner.A few factors involved,cheers,Brian.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

To anybody posting kind birthday wishes which I have not acknowledged, many thanks. 

Just had a very nice Warners brasserie evening meal. Sauvignon Blanc instead of Champagne with a starter of Garlic mushrooms in tarragon sauce with sourdough toast and a poached egg, chicken, pea purée, creamy potatoes and purple carrots and a pudding of Bramley Apple and caramel galette with ice cream. Finished off with a nice brandy.

C757048A-F506-4D62-B7A3-A29809DDBE39.jpeg

8632BAFD-88C2-4C30-B40F-2855B80BB368.jpeg

D2B4C9DC-5D7D-48F8-ADD5-7B3AAEB420C2.jpeg

77B36284-BAEF-4B57-AB6A-7C487DE781C0.jpeg

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, pete14 said:

To anybody posting kind birthday wishes which I have not acknowledged, many thanks. 

Just had a very nice Warners brasserie evening meal. Sauvignon Blanc instead of Champagne with a starter of Garlic mushrooms in tarragon sauce with sourdough toast and a poached egg, chicken, pea purée, creamy potatoes and purple carrots and a pudding of Bramley Apple and caramel galette with ice cream. Finished off with a nice brandy.

C757048A-F506-4D62-B7A3-A29809DDBE39.jpeg

8632BAFD-88C2-4C30-B40F-2855B80BB368.jpeg

D2B4C9DC-5D7D-48F8-ADD5-7B3AAEB420C2.jpeg

77B36284-BAEF-4B57-AB6A-7C487DE781C0.jpeg

Looks very nice --- hope you have had a good day and the headache tomorrow wont be too bad :-)

Us Prestos :-)

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

PS Did they all stand around in a circle and sing 'Happy Birthday to you !'

I think they were too busy to even think of singing, for which I am grateful.

Home tomorrow, Wales on Wednesday (probably).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I think they were too busy to even think of singing, for which I am grateful.

Home tomorrow, Wales on Wednesday (probably).

Happy birthday to you -- clap, clap. clap

Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday, happy birthday

Happy birthday to you .. clap, clap,clap

Fill in the tunes yourself 😉

• Like 2