P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

13 minutes ago, happy v said:

Ohh, I may try some on my toasted hot cross bun. I'm not sure if it will clash with the cinnamon though. I will report tomorrow 

Lidl blackcurrant jam the best around IMO.Or mashed banana with a drizzle of honey.

12 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Lidl blackcurrant jam the best around IMO.Or mashed banana with a drizzle of honey.

Not keen on blackcurrant. Too astringent. I do have some homemade strawberry though 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Just my opinion but I don't like jam of any flavour but I do like Roses lemon and lime marmalade on toast.  I  might have to try mashed banana and honey.  I often have porridge with a chopped up banana and honey for breakfast.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Has anyone ever used the Elizabeth Hotel pre-cruise? We’ve just ordered a new car and it’s electric so I’ve been looking for a hotel with EV charging.

The thought of searching for hotels etc with EV charging is one of the reasons that we went for a Toyota hybrid rather than an EV car and why we are currently considering going back to a petrol car.  We both hate the Toyota and are agreed that we will never buy another Toyota which is why we are ready looking even though the Toyota is only just coming up to 6 months old.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

The thought of searching for hotels etc with EV charging is one of the reasons that we went for a Toyota hybrid rather than an EV car and why we are currently considering going back to a petrol car.  We both hate the Toyota and are agreed that we will never buy another Toyota which is why we are ready looking even though the Toyota is only just coming up to 6 months old.

Agree,I don't think the technology and infrastructure is quite there yet.Our daughter has a Tesla and when they go to her inlaws in Southport they have to charge up once on the way,it's only a few hundred mile journey.I am making the 1500 mile trip to Calabria in March and would dread having a EV.The deeper South you get in Italy the fewer the charging points.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Agree,I don't think the technology and infrastructure is quite there yet.Our daughter has a Tesla and when they go to her inlaws in Southport they have to charge up once on the way,it's only a few hundred mile journey.I am making the 1500 mile trip to Calabria in March and would dread having a EV.The deeper South you get in Italy the fewer the charging points.

Going to Southampton is about the furthest I drive but no way would I have considered an EV if I was driving to Calabria 😂

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We didn’t look at Toyota only BMW, Audi and Mercedes. All of which were a lovely drive and very comfortable.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

We didn’t look at Toyota only BMW, Audi and Mercedes. All of which were a lovely drive and very comfortable.

The car is comfortable and being hybrid is very economical.  The Toyota Hybrid actually self charges as you drive along and only uses petrol when you are crawling along in traffic. 

We have decided to go for a fully petrol car because we don't think that the car is as well built as the 4 Mazdas that we had before we switched to Toyota and we don't think that there are enough EV charging points yet.  It is looking likely that we will either go back to Mazda or VW.  When we were both working so had 2 cars I always had a VW but OH never stuck to one brand.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Has anyone ever used the Elizabeth Hotel pre-cruise? We’ve just ordered a new car and it’s electric so I’ve been looking for a hotel with EV charging.

We stayed there in August last year with our grandchildren. The rooms were very nice and breakfast was good. There is a nice pub across the road where we went to eat a meal as no food was available at the hotel. 

I would definitely stay there again

Michelle

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I am getting a hybrid for the first time on Monday. I am getting a self charging Hyundai Kona. They have introduced a new model which is quite a bit bigger than the old one so it can accommodate my mobility scooter. Looking forward to it 

Michelle

• Like 7

3 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Going to Southampton is about the furthest I drive but no way would I have considered an EV if I was driving to Calabria 😂

No worries,I hope you didn't think I was being critical of you,it's perfect for your needs.The irony is we have an 8 year old ULEZ compliant diesel and only pay 20 quid road tax but our daughter pays over 200 on her Tesla.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Tried it last year for a longer cruise as it is cheap for parking. However, it is not really a hotel, more a guest house with a very basic car park. Very nice people, reasonably priced accommodation. Bit old fashioned. Quite a way to the terminals. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brian1 said:

No worries,I hope you didn't think I was being critical of you,it's perfect for your needs.The irony is we have an 8 year old ULEZ compliant diesel and only pay 20 quid road tax but our daughter pays over 200 on her Tesla.

Same here my diesel Golf SV is £20 road tax and has only done 25000 miles, and will be 10 yrs old in October. But at my age there is absolutely no justification in laying out £30,000 -£40,000 for any new vehicle, which is unlikely to have much saving in running costs.

• Like 3

I have a completed bathroom so no need to go to the swimming pool for a shower tomorrow morning.   Negotiations with Ovo re my complaint are finished as well with profuse apologies offered.  An interesting insight into the state of British customer service.  No doubt you are very much aware I intensely dislike receing bad service and will not hesitate to fight my corner. 

At the beginning of Februaty I opened a Nationwide Flex account to be able to take advantage of the travel insurance for myself and in particular my husband.  I opened the account with £25.00 with a view to starting to make payments in monthly from 1 March.  However during the months of December, January and February I have accumulated cheques from the various organisations where I've had big problems and ended up complaining.   

Because I have been unwell I have been putting them in a drawer.  Following today's discussions on the plumbing issues I have been told a cheque for £250 will be winging it's way to me so I decided to take all of the cheques out of the drawer to pay them into this new account.  Imagine my shock to find they add up to over £1,050 with this £250 due on top.  These payments for poor service are from banks, insurance companies, retailers, telephone providers and an electrical supplier in other words lots of types of organisations.  Add to this £20 Sainsburys gift card for return of out of date food and although a very nice little collection I find myself despairing at the state of customer service and the reliability of staff to carry out fairly normal and mundane things I've paid them for. 

On the other hand it will make a nice inroads into my required cruise deposit for Cunard on 5 March!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, brian1 said:

Lidl Raspberry with the extra 50% fruit is our favourite, we have just started our sixth jar since coming to Fuerteventura neary six weeks ago. We don't use Lidl much at home but are hoping they have it in the Barnsley store.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Lidl Raspberry with the extra 50% fruit is our favourite, we have just started our sixth jar since coming to Fuerteventura neary six weeks ago. We don't use Lidl much at home but are hoping they have it in the Barnsley store.

We've got the Lidl plus app here and Italy.I meant to say to you, you could get it there in Spain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Tried it last year for a longer cruise as it is cheap for parking. However, it is not really a hotel, more a guest house with a very basic car park. Very nice people, reasonably priced accommodation. Bit old fashioned. Quite a way to the terminals. 

I would agree it’s more like a guest house, very clean though. We didn’t park there, parked at ABP. I would say it was about 10 mins to City Cruise Terminal.

Michelle

10 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We both love our Toyotas, we have had them over a year now, I find my Yaris Cross Hybrid handles much better than  my previous petrol Renaults, plus we have had excellent service from the Dealership. 

Edited by Snow Hill

12 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Good news mate.Screenshot(36).thumb.png.42dc215f4e3054bd65c8852ee3f31a62.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

We both love our Toyotas, we have had them over a year now, I find my Yaris Cross Hybrid handles much better than  my previous petrol Renaults, plus we have had excellent service from the Dealership. 

Perhaps it is because neither of us like driving an automatic / hybrid?  We are agreed that we will definitely buy a manual car in the future.  We also think that the finish inside the Toyota seems to be plastic when compared to the other cars that we have had.  I am assuming that your dealship isn't Pinkstone in Stoke because several people who we know have said that they take their Toyotas to Stafford for servicing because they don't find Pinkstone very helpful.

A very good morning!

We have 4˚C, bright skies and a woodpecker tapping away in a tree just outside. 

Grocery delivery expected any-time soon. Nothing missing and no substitutions... so that's a very good start to the day. It includes the supplies in for this week's "Gala Dinner"... a very retro hark back to the Bernie Inns of half a century ago... complete with prawn cocktail, steak and chips and an indulgent pudding! And the muzak... a brand new CD has just arrived to accompany the experience... the Wurzels... how many folk remember... "I've got a brand new combine harvester?" 

(If anyone reading this doesn’t know what a CD is... it's just like a portable streaming service but without the subscription costs... and has the advantage that it can easily convert into a hi-teck device to protect new lawn-seed from the wood pigeons.)

Off to see the Bob Marley biopic this afternoon... according to the booking plan we have the cinema almost to ourselves... probably a bit too wet and cold today for the usual weekday afternoon cinema audience in Dorking. The only town in Britain where the roundabout at the top of the High Street is adorned by the most gigantic Cockerel!

Hope all are well, in good cheer and good spirits!

Edited by twotravellersLondon
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Perhaps it is because neither of us like driving an automatic / hybrid?  We are agreed that we will definitely buy a manual car in the future.  We also think that the finish inside the Toyota seems to be plastic when compared to the other cars that we have had.  I am assuming that your dealship isn't Pinkstone in Stoke because several people who we know have said that they take their Toyotas to Stafford for servicing because they don't find Pinkstone very helpful.

Until I had my Yaris Cross, I or my wife had never owned an automatic, I must admit I was dubious about it, but after a year I can honestly say I won’t be going back to manual cars. My wife suffers from sciatica in her left leg which caused her pain when driving long distances, with automatic she has no problem driving long distances in her Yaris hybrid and is getting close to 70mpg on average, so is very happy with it. 

No our dealership isn’t Pinkstone, its a long standing Family run Shropshire based Dealership, W. R. Davies. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1