P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is sunny and 8°C here.

Both of my arms are slightly sore after the vaccines yesterday.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Negative test this morning, so we can go to Gail's relatives this evening....oh well.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Morning all,

A cool morning at 13c here expected to get to 15c but sunny.

My flu and covid jabs are booked for tomorrow.

Washing machine is on and a trip to the shops is on the cards this morning, as we only have bread, milk and ham in the house which my daughter dropped off yesterday, so we had something in the house to return to.

Hope you all have an enjoyable day.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Negative test this morning, so we can go to Gail's relatives this evening....oh well.😂

Might be a good evening Zap,think positive.

• Haha 3

It’s bright and chilly here today. Dark last night at just after 7pm.

Well we are off tomorrow early hours so the joy of today is cleaning the house fridge while it is almost empty. I cleaned out the other one earlier in the week. It’s a good opportunity to check the dates on things like mustard and mayonaise that lurk at the back of the fridge for months.

I end up throwing out things like horseradish as it is always out of date  before it’s finished. I wonder why companies don’t do much smaller jars of these kind of condiments.

I never actually throw out a jar. They are always cleaned out and reused for something, usually at Christmas time for chutneys, cranberry sauce etc. . 

Have a good day all and I’ll catch up on al your news in a couple of weeks. Not sure how the WiFi will be where are staying.

• Like 8

Have a lovely holiday Eglesbrech and I hope it’s sunny and hot where you’re going.

Ive been busy today doing 3 washes and all dried now and bed remade , then I done 1 packing holdall all the shoes and walking boots and thick coats for Norway all the awkward shapes go in it instead of my suitcase which I like to keep just clothes in .

Bright blue skies at the moment but chilly, hope all sore arms get better soon, we have booked our flu jabs for November, we have decided not to have Covid jabs this year.

• Like 2

I just need to let off a bit of steam - does anyone else have problems sometimes with trying to deal with companies over the phone, when you get put through to an 'adviser' and can't understand a word they say.  Sometimes English is not their first language, but this morning the first one I spoke to (before saying goodbye and phoning again) had such a peculiar accent I could not understand a word he said, and I had to apologise for having to give up.  Rang again and got a female with a strong Irish accent, but at least could follow her because she spoke loudly and slowly enough.  I admit to being a bit deaf, but normally can follow anyone who phones me.  

• Like 6

Yes I can , I have plenty of phone calls to do with phone companies who say I have a contract with them all in a stone accent I don’t understand, sometimes I say sorry I didn’t understand a word you said and when they repeat themselves I just put the phone down, it’s normally the long silence before they start talking is a give away to put the phone down .

Mine was me phoning them for advice (a building society).  I suspect they are all working from home, and spend most of their time reading stuff from a card, which must be very boring, but the company really need to make sure that they have a fairly intelligible accent for everyone to understand.  The worst was when all calls to HMRC were directed to Glasgow, (apologies to Glaswegians) and the speakers all had the most extreme accents, so that everyone with tax problems got very cross which made things worse.  My DH once said to one 'put me through to someone who speaks English' - very rude I know -and they slammed  the phone down on him.  I did tell him off.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

4 hours ago, brian1 said:

Might be a good evening Zap,think positive.

Soon be Christmas ,Gail could ask them over for a few days 🙃

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I suspect they are all working from home, and spend most of their time reading stuff from a card, which must be very boring,

Does working from home change their accent then? 🙂

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, lincslady said:

The worst was when all calls to HMRC were directed to Glasgow,

I once got a call off them they accused me of tax fiddling . I told them it could not be me as I have never paid a tax bill😉

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Mine was me phoning them for advice (a building society).  I suspect they are all working from home, and spend most of their time reading stuff from a card, which must be very boring, but the company really need to make sure that they have a fairly intelligible accent for everyone to understand.  The worst was when all calls to HMRC were directed to Glasgow, (apologies to Glaswegians) and the speakers all had the most extreme accents, so that everyone with tax problems got very cross which made things worse.  My DH once said to one 'put me through to someone who speaks English' - very rude I know -and they slammed  the phone down on him.  I did tell him off.

They would be reading from a screen not a card, no different to what they would be doing in the office. 

Most businesses with call centres across the country or overseas will if one centre is busy automatically overflow calls to a less busy centre elsewhere, so you will almost certainly encounter regional accents from time to time. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the information - if most are in an actual centre it would make life more interesting for them, though some I have spoken to and actually chatted with have said yes, they are at home, and I have often had really pleasant phone chats.  However, this morning was one of those where it all seemed very robotic and they had to spout lots of legal jargon which does tend to make you use a sing-song voice when you have done it 100 times I am sure.  I dare say it is all my fault for being a bit deaf; when you can't see faces and not lip read, which we all do unconsciously, it makes strong accents more difficult to follow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waju said:

Hey everyone have you noticed this thread is now 2,500 pages long!  That's amazing 😊

How many have been here since the start?

I first posted post 46, a day after Sharon started the thread. I have no idea how many posts I have made on here but it is not as many as some. 

3 hours ago, Waju said:

Hey everyone have you noticed this thread is now 2,500 pages long!  That's amazing 😊

How many have been here since the start?

I came in on page 3 (nowt to do with my looks ) and around the same time fired up

the Lets Smile Page in the Pub Forum. We had all supported each other through 

some very dark days of the cruise world.

Looking around other pages of other cruise lines ,the P&O (this thread ) seems to

keep on going and may it long continue .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

I have just woke up at 4pm and been in bed asleep all day.

After the vaccines yesterday I have been extremely tired all day.

Did Starbucks, or Greggs phone....Where are you this morning Graham ?....we are a bit worried.🤣🤣

• Haha 2