P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Seems a strange juxtaposition.  Food banks posts, followed by photos of expensive meals.

Its going to be a long hard winter for many people.

I guess those of us on here should  be thankful that, in the main,   we will still be able to live a comfortable existence.  

• Like 7

I don't look at the meals photos as i admit i find them somewhat nauseating, hope i dont offend 🤞

Medical issues complicates matters again. Yesterday morning I had my 2 year delayed diabetes review. All OK except a slightly raised red blood cell sugar count. Prostate problem also discussed and OK for another year. However the doppler check on my foot blood supply showed that I have an irregular heartbeat, crikey. Had an ECG at the local hospital yesterday afternoon, wires everywhere but they let me go home saying nothing there that would make them keep me in. Dropped the ECG traces into the doctors on the way home and mentioned that I need to discuss because of travel insurance.  I have a fly cruise booked for late September and another for November

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It was gravy in the pot.

I never put gravy onto food so that suits me.

The shepherds pie was delicious.

I love your food pictures graham and nice to see where you visit each time for your lunches , enjoy everyone of them you work hard for it and life’s to short for Pauline to be cooking all the time 😉

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Morning everyone, not a bad morning here in Lytham, a mixture of sun and clouds and there has been a odd shower.

We are all packed and ready to fly tomorrow to Spain, taking four grandchildren with us. I will probably need another holiday at the end of it to recover. They are all super excited.

I must admit I am dreading going through Manchester Airport even though I have booked special assistance as we are taking my wheelchair and mobility scooter.

Dogs are going to dog sitter this afternoon, they love their visits to her.

Hope you all have a nice day

Michelle

Have a lovely holiday Michelle especially with your grandchildren, my grandchildren are arriving tomorrow to join us out in fuerteventura, it’s hot but windy here .

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

I love your food pictures graham and nice to see where you visit each time for your lunches , enjoy everyone of them you work hard for it and life’s to short for Pauline to be cooking all the time 😉

Thank you.

Dinner last night.

IMG_20220804_190206.jpg

IMG_20220804_190231.jpg

IMG_20220804_194729.jpg

IMG_20220804_194741.jpg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Have a lovely holiday Michelle especially with your grandchildren, my grandchildren are arriving tomorrow to join us out in fuerteventura, it’s hot but windy here .

That sounds amazing.

I hope you all have an enjoyable time together.

Graham.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I don't look at the meals photos as i admit i find them somewhat nauseating, hope i dont offend 🤞

Medical issues complicates matters again. Yesterday morning I had my 2 year delayed diabetes review. All OK except a slightly raised red blood cell sugar count. Prostate problem also discussed and OK for another year. However the doppler check on my foot blood supply showed that I have an irregular heartbeat, crikey. Had an ECG at the local hospital yesterday afternoon, wires everywhere but they let me go home saying nothing there that would make them keep me in. Dropped the ECG traces into the doctors on the way home and mentioned that I need to discuss because of travel insurance.  I have a fly cruise booked for late September and another for November

Sorry to hear about your issues Dave.

You must speak to your travel insurance and  🤞 they are sympathetic and keep you insured.

After my heart attack our long time insurance cancelled our policy when we rang them but there are others who will insure you.

Graham 

• Like 4

Hi all,flying back to Italy tomorrow for 60 days and driving back in October.Our Russian neighbours are there at the moment,which is good cos they owe us 500 Euro.They support you know who so will do my best Basil Faulty impression and not mention the war.Should be OK as we do get on with them.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Britboys said:

Food presentation fads exasperate me. I do like a dish to look nice but for goodness sake arrange it all nicely on the plate. No little jugs, fancy paper underneath fish or chips in a little metal basket...🙄

It's the way of the world, now little jugs and pots seem to be the norm ,sometimes you 

don't even get a plate ,some old roof tile or chopping board instead .

When we are away the cooked breakfasts always seem to come with a pot of beans.

Now I don't know about you lot but when it's like that ,no messing about for me ,they

get  tipped onto the plate .Some like to dip and dab at them and that's ok .

Some cooked breakfasts come with "vegetation" that looks pretty, what is that stuff?

I have nicknamed it pond weed  and I never eat it anyway.

As said by others lets be thankful we can have nice meals to eat.

Have a nice day everyone:classic_love:

• Like 9

Beans in a little pot is definitely the way it should be done - I can't stand having baked beans for breakfast, so if they were on the plate it would put me right off; with the little pot I can just put it to one side.  We don't all love beans - or mushy peas.  The same applies with them for fish and chips.  I think restaurants and pubs are realising this, and it is a very good reason why most of them present them this way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Beans in a little pot is definitely the way it should be done - I can't stand having baked beans for breakfast, so if they were on the plate it would put me right off; with the little pot I can just put it to one side.  We don't all love beans - or mushy peas.  The same applies with them for fish and chips.  I think restaurants and pubs are realising this, and it is a very good reason why most of them present them this way.

Have you ever thought to request breakfast without beans ?

Seems wasteful if you do not eat them .😇

• Like 1

I like looking at photos of peoples food but I wonder how people can eat so much, nowadays I have a much reduced appetite and I'm not 60 yet! After eating out a quite a bit in May during family celebrations and uk break I haven't eaten out since, I just don't have the inclination and my wife and I enjoy cooking at home.

• Like 3

I remember once on the Azura when we were having breakfast and I could eat

just about anything I fancied, we were sat in the MDR on a table for two.

Mrs K ordered hers and then I ordered mine which was a full English .

Sat very close to us was two ladies and as they ordered one in a loud voice 

told the waiter " I will also have the full English ..But no bacon ,no mushrooms,

no tomato ,no hash browns ,no .."  When she had finished , the waiter smiled 

and said " So that's sausage and a poached egg Mam"😑

Just one of those mornings you never forget 😀😇😍

• Haha 7

We were on a table for 6 or 8 on Oriana 10 years ago for breakfast and a person started a guessing game. Out of the blue he said to the table "I'm retired now but what do you think I used to do?", there were various guesses from the table thinking it must be some impressive job all guesses met with "no,no,no". I was getting frustrated and jokingly said "a brain surgeon", " no, no,no" was the response. He FINALLY turned out he worked in a tyre factory!! We could have been still at that breakfast table 10 years later and still not guessed it.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

It's the way of the world, now little jugs and pots seem to be the norm ,sometimes you 

don't even get a plate ,some old roof tile or chopping board instead .

When we are away the cooked breakfasts always seem to come with a pot of beans.

Now I don't know about you lot but when it's like that ,no messing about for me ,they

get  tipped onto the plate .Some like to dip and dab at them and that's ok .

Some cooked breakfasts come with "vegetation" that looks pretty, what is that stuff?

I have nicknamed it pond weed  and I never eat it anyway.

As said by others lets be thankful we can have nice meals to eat.

Have a nice day everyone:classic_love:

My American and Canadian friends love food pictures and always ask for more pictures.

I can't cook and Pauline is not keen on cooking so we go out a lot.

Hopefully it helps the UK hospitality industry.

Breakfast this morning.

IMG_20220805_091721.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Hi all,flying back to Italy tomorrow for 60 days and driving back in October.Our Russian neighbours are there at the moment,which is good cos they owe us 500 Euro.They support you know who so will do my best Basil Faulty impression and not mention the war.Should be OK as we do get on with them.

I hope you have a wonderful time away Brian.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Britboys said:

Food presentation fads exasperate me. I do like a dish to look nice but for goodness sake arrange it all nicely on the plate. No little jugs, fancy paper underneath fish or chips in a little metal basket...🙄

The Fish and chips in the Quays on Iona are presented in a metal basket.

54 minutes ago, lincslady said:

+1.

My sentiments exactly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I like baked beans, but I'm a bit strange in that I don't like them touching the rest of my food, my youngest daughter is the same, so when I have them at home I dish ours up in little pots on the side of our plates.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Sorry to read that. I hope they get it sorted and you manage to arrange insurance for your cruises.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Have you ever thought to request breakfast without beans ?

Seems wasteful if you do not eat them .😇

Yes, of course I do.  And the same with the fish and chips - but they often arrive with them anyway!  So long as they are in the pot I don't mind.

Remembering food rationing, I hate waste.  (I do like beans, but on toast for lunch).

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We were on a table for 6 or 8 on Oriana 10 years ago for breakfast and a person started a guessing game. Out of the blue he said to the table "I'm retired now but what do you think I used to do?", there were various guesses from the table thinking it must be some impressive job all guesses met with "no,no,no". I was getting frustrated and jokingly said "a brain surgeon", " no, no,no" was the response. He FINALLY turned out he worked in a tyre factory!! We could have been still at that breakfast table 10 years later and still not guessed it.

Was he the Michelin star mystery diner.

• Haha 6