P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

22 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Probably not, but it's quite likely that the second hand value of petrol and diesel cars will by then exceed the cost of a new electric car.

You could be right, especially in the years just after the change over date whenever that actually is. Citroen and Vauxhall have two new cars (Frontera and eC3) coming out in the UK where the electric version is the same as the petrol so I am sure there will be others. There will always be the die hard's who are determined to stick with the old ways, bit like P&O. I am now more attuned to purchasing an electric car that I was a couple of years ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Is the country honestly going to be ready for all electric cars when it should be?  I find it hard to believe that everyone with a car will be able to charge it as and when needed, whether at home or 'on the road' the way things are at present.  Opinions,  please.

At the moment I would say NO. 

Our country has a bad habit of running before it can walk .

Take the coal mines/steelworks to name a couple,too dependant on overseas,we never 

think these thigs through .Now what seems like a mad dash for electric cars ?

Don't get me wrong ,these cars are get better but we need more support/charging

throughout the UK. I have driven electric loco's and fork trucks in the past, the 

pulling power is amazing . The part which bothers me would be the 2'nd hand market

as you could be buying a battery that's halfway through it's life span,should that fail

then at a guess a replacement for the car would not be cheap?

A few more years and see what happens cos as the petrol /diesel cars get less,

I think the powers that be will start loading the road tax onto these cars .

Wait and see as there is no rush for me as yet .

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Getting the charger for free was a bargain. I'm told around £1200 by my electricity supplier plus £30 a metre for underground cabling to connect to mains.

It was such a bargain, we would have been paying around £1,200 to £1,300 otherwise plus the charging credit of £90 if we used Octopus Energy which we were anyway.

We had some minor issues connecting the charger to Octopus initially which were quickly sorted but they gave us another £30 credit as a result.

The car I bought was the second one I ordered but both had a free charger on offer at the time of ordering so there are deals to be had with the manufacturers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is a milder 11°C and cloudy here.

Fortunately Pauline picks,irons and packs all of my clothes and I do the 325 miles drive to Southampton.

I hope everyone is safe and well and you all have a happy weekend.

I always pack for both of us as I don't trust DH to pack the right clothes for wherever we are going.  I once suggested that he put the things that he wanted to take on the spare bed and when I went to put them in the cases he had put heavy sweaters and no shorts even though it was August and we were going to the Mediterranean.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

You could be right, especially in the years just after the change over date whenever that actually is. Citroen and Vauxhall have two new cars (Frontera and eC3) coming out in the UK where the electric version is the same as the petrol so I am sure there will be others. There will always be the die hard's who are determined to stick with the old ways, bit like P&O. I am now more attuned to purchasing an electric car that I was a couple of years ago.

I am puzzled as to why an electric car is more enviromentally  friendly than a clean petrol one. If we all change to electric what is the cost of producing thousands more electric units both fiancially and environmentally? Producing electricity can be harmfull eg  Drax Power Station being worse for the environment than coal.We will need a massive capacity for the surge in power and we have not enough for our needs at present.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

It was such a bargain, we would have been paying around £1,200 to £1,300 otherwise plus the charging credit of £90 if we used Octopus Energy which we were anyway.

We had some minor issues connecting the charger to Octopus initially which were quickly sorted but they gave us another £30 credit as a result.

The car I bought was the second one I ordered but both had a free charger on offer at the time of ordering so there are deals to be had with the manufacturers.

We have been looking for a while. At the higher mid to vrry high end of the market you do seem to get the charger deal more regularly but at the lower end not many incentives.  Apart from my 2003 Ford Focus inherited from my father I had a Peugeot diesel 3008 and we had a Toyota Yaris.  Neither Peugeot or Toyota were interested in any help with charging point when we enquired.  I eventually sold the Peugeot to my friend as it was not going to be useable in the ULEZ (ironically my dad's car is) and my husband swapped his Yaris for a Citroen C3.  I am nearly two years in still looking at electric and hybrids to replace my Peugeot but the prices are high in the crossover range, format least to me £40,000 electric compared to £29,000 seems to be.

I only want the larger car for my long distance journeys to visit family and my racing trips and I am very nervous about the charging as I make these journeys alone.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pete14 said:

I wish you luck with getting a power supply sufficient to charge a car to your remote garage. I was all set for getting a full electric car a couple of months ago and the fuss and cost of getting a home charger installed outside our garage which is only 20 metres from the electric meter was prohibitive. Getting home broadband to extend as far as the charger in order to access the cheap tariffs was also an issue as was the refusal of my insurance company (and others) to cover the new electric car I was planning to buy. I bought another self charging hybrid instead.

You can also use mobile data for where difficult to access home broadband, uses 4g signal, so cheaper tariffs can still be accessed. 

I am surprised to hear insurance companies not covering electric cars, my son has had 2 electric cars he has not had a problem with insurance cover.

He works in the field of EV chargers and there companies developing options for terraced properties and remote garages, including a solar option. Hopefully when I come to change my car next these options may well be on the market here. I think the Netherlands already have options for terraced style properties. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

At the moment I would say NO. 

Our country has a bad habit of running before it can walk .

Take the coal mines/steelworks to name a couple,too dependant on overseas,we never 

think these thigs through .Now what seems like a mad dash for electric cars ?

Don't get me wrong ,these cars are get better but we need more support/charging

throughout the UK. I have driven electric loco's and fork trucks in the past, the 

pulling power is amazing . The part which bothers me would be the 2'nd hand market

as you could be buying a battery that's halfway through it's life span,should that fail

then at a guess a replacement for the car would not be cheap?

A few more years and see what happens cos as the petrol /diesel cars get less,

I think the powers that be will start loading the road tax onto these cars .

Wait and see as there is no rush for me as yet .

I say No to all Electric cars.

Our alarms guy changed the battery in our control box and said some of these Electric cars have the batteries built in to the car and when the batteries failed the car was a write off.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Funboy said:

I am puzzled as to why an electric car is more enviromentally  friendly than a clean petrol one. If we all change to electric what is the cost of producing thousands more electric units both fiancially and environmentally? Producing electricity can be harmfull eg  Drax Power Station being worse for the environment than coal.We will need a massive capacity for the surge in power and we have not enough for our needs at present.

That is a debate that will run for years to come. Emperors clothes springs to mind, unfortunately we will not get much of a say in it regardless who we vote for and what we think. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I say No to all Electric cars.

Our alarms guy changed the battery in our control box and said some of these Electric cars have the batteries built in to the car and when the batteries failed the car was a write off.

True unless you have an estimated £7-8K spare .Life span is owt from 10 to 20 years 

but most car dealers only cover around 8 years to save payouts on warranty .

Worth noting that a regular rapid charge can take toll on these batteries lifespan.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/do-electric-car-batteries-need-replacing-it-expensive

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think it is more to do with your own personal car usage and circumstances than whether the country is ready

That’s a fair point. If you live in a fairly populated area with lots of facilities it is fine to make the change over.

If however you live in a more rural area, where there are few public charging points many, many miles apart (and have to keep heating on in the car in the much colder winters which drains the battery) then the infrastructure is not ready.

Add to that the fact that those in power up here actually don’t want car usage in the first place.

I don’t have any issue with changing technology but right now there is just not sufficient infrastructure, here at least.

• Like 1

Good afternoon All.  

we arrived back home late last night after a small delayed inbound flight ( heavy rain across Europe) then landing at hrw early the airbridge decided not work for 25 mins.  

then had to get a taxi up to hotel as hoppa buses only run hourly late at night. 

Any how on the subject of CARS, as a retired professional Chauffeur for over 25yrs, I refuse / never will have a EV. my new replacement petrol KIA arrives by end of this month.

I see too many  entitled T drivers on the roads, then at the service ares they are all queing up the charge the B''dy things.

Rant over.😇

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, kalos said:

True unless you have an estimated £7-8K spare .Life span is owt from 10 to 20 years 

but most car dealers only cover around 8 years to save payouts on warranty .

Worth noting that a regular rapid charge can take toll on these batteries lifespan.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/do-electric-car-batteries-need-replacing-it-expensive

My Toyota hybrid battery has 15 year warranty as long as I have it serviced annually by Toyota and given I had 4 years free servicing with the car that will happen, unlikely I will own the car in 15 years. 

Battery technology is improving all the while, so who knows what we will see in a few years time, it was only 15 years ago when electric cars started to come on the mass market.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

My Toyota hybrid battery has 15 year warranty as long as I have it serviced annually by Toyota and given I had 4 years free servicing with the car that will happen, unlikely I will own the car in 15 years. 

Battery technology is improving all the while, so who knows what we will see in a few years time, it was only 15 years ago when electric cars started to come on the mass market.

As you say they are improving all the time but for me they are in their early years and 

I would not like to be the one buying ,lets say a 8-10 year old car that is heading for 

a battery failure at some point.As I said not for me at the moment .

Hydrogen could take over in the coming years ..Who knows ? 🤔

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Funboy said:

The last time we visited Skagen there was no need for a shuttle as you could see right up the main street from the ships berth...about 200yds!.

It’s not a long way, but for some people, taking the shuttle means that they can then explore more of the town, safe in the knowledge that the shuttle will help again on their return. It really makes a difference - physically and mentally. It’s enabling. 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 3

I am interested to see that the majority of you are equally unsure about the possibility of all electric cars being the norm or even obligatory in the near future.  I had heard about the possibility of using hydrogen, and feel sure that a better sustainable source of power for cars and indeed buses and lorries will be found in the not too distant  future.

• Like 4

We had a self charging Toyota Yaris hybrid but only kept it for 8 months because we didn't like it.  I got used to it but DH would only drive it if he had no other way of getting to wherever he absolutely no other way of getting to wherever he had to go.  We went back ro a Mazda petrol car which we are happy with.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I am interested to see that the majority of you are equally unsure about the possibility of all electric cars being the norm or even obligatory in the near future.  I had heard about the possibility of using hydrogen, and feel sure that a better sustainable source of power for cars and indeed buses and lorries will be found in the not too distant  future.

Over the next year or so,any saving may be taxed away .We will wait.

• Like 2

Good morning 🙂 Not a lot doing here ,just a lazy Sunday today.

Just had a look at the Southampton web cams and it looks to be good weather

for them today..I will be tuning in later as there are 5 ships parting today from 

5pm onwards .So with the boat show as well  down there is going to be busy ?

Hope you all have a great day -Take care 🙂

• Like 7