Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

I have not been to any DNA lectures, but I did research on DNA testing and found 1 company(23 and me) that tests for the most common Cystic Fibrosis gene.  When our 1st grandchild was born in 2000 and nearly died from a CF intestinal blockage called Maeconium--10 weeks in the NICU-  we asked about being tested for the CF gene and were told it would be too expensive and not covered by Health Ins, since we were past child bearing age.  We did the 23&me test l2 years ago) and I am the CF gene carrier.  We now have 2 Cf grandchildren.  Both are still alive, ages 21 and 14.  They are well, enough to come with us on a 52nd ann. cruise later this year(50th cancelled by Covid).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

I have not been to any DNA lectures, but I did research on DNA testing and found 1 company(23 and me) that tests for the most common Cystic Fibrosis gene.  When our 1st grandchild was born in 2000 and nearly died from a CF intestinal blockage called Maeconium--10 weeks in the NICU-  we asked about being tested for the CF gene and were told it would be too expensive and not covered by Health Ins, since we were past child bearing age.  We did the 23&me test l2 years ago) and I am the CF gene carrier.  We now have 2 Cf grandchildren.  Both are still alive, ages 21 and 14.  They are well, enough to come with us on a 52nd ann. cruise later this year(50th cancelled by Covid).

So glad they are well!

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 9:54 AM, nordski said:

We also have “mud” season when trucks are limited as to Gross Vehicular Weight.

There is a perhaps an apocryphal story from the prairies that a spring road sign carried this message:

Be careful which ruts you choose to drive in,

You are going to be in them for the next 5 miles.

Love this sign we encountered one day:

20070715-11-CypressHillsIPP-WelcomeToSaskatchewan1.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Aardvaark said:

Love this sign we encountered one day:

20070715-11-CypressHillsIPP-WelcomeToSaskatchewan1.jpg

I love this photo and it reminds me of a fishing trip with my Great Uncle near Kelvington.

He assured me that there were pickerel in the lake, but we didn’t catch any 🥲.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

It’s that time of year again’

DE43E56A-FE7E-4C5C-861C-5A38DA34D8BF.jpeg

BCEE08C5-3AFC-430E-AF5F-317BFEDDB903.jpeg

Delicious!

There should be a local holiday for the first run. 😀

We are slightly behind you but this weekend looks promising.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, nordski said:

Delicious!

There should be a local holiday for the first run. 😀

We are slightly behind you but this weekend looks promising.

We are getting a big snowstorm this weekend. We haven’t actually tapped our tree yet, but soon!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

It’s that time of year again’

DE43E56A-FE7E-4C5C-861C-5A38DA34D8BF.jpeg

BCEE08C5-3AFC-430E-AF5F-317BFEDDB903.jpeg

OK, Betsey, maybe this is a dumb question (actually, no maybe about it!), why the pickle? and is that salt?  

(confession, I can't do straight maple anything - many years ago on a cycling trip in Vermont, I was almost "evicted" for asking for jam for my pancakes. Sorry! Well, that does leave lots more for the rest of you!!)

2 hours ago, the mice said:

OK, Betsey, maybe this is a dumb question (actually, no maybe about it!), why the pickle? and is that salt?  

(confession, I can't do straight maple anything - many years ago on a cycling trip in Vermont, I was almost "evicted" for asking for jam for my pancakes. Sorry! Well, that does leave lots more for the rest of you!!)

Not dumb at all! Your are looking at a seasonal specialty called Sugar on Snow. Maple syrup boiled to the soft taffy stage and then poured over snow (or crushed ice if snow not available). Traditionally served with a pickle and a doughnut to cut the sweetness. They tend to be served with a cake doughnut these days, but in my youth, it was always a plain raised doughnut (less sweet). I try to have this once a year!

• Like 3

Thanks for the explanation.   I'll just have the donut and leave the maple syrup for you!  

About 30-40 years ago my cycling club used to bike to a local town up-county which has now become very trendy and upscale.  There was a small local farm and cider mill that had wonderful cider and donuts, much appreciated after our hilly ride to get there.  No maple sugaring, however.  Sadly, they sold the property to a developer and it is now a pricey gated community.   And, around here it seems like cake donuts are the thing now, instead of the traditional yeast raised ones.  

• Like 1

I just got the expected email from Noble Caledonia about my upcoming Baltic Odyssey cruise.  Three days in St Petersburg – gone.  Instead, more time in Gdansk (with an evening concert), Tallinn (also a concert added in the evening) and Stockholm plus new stops in Mariehamn in the Aland Islands and Parnu in Estonia.  Added to the existing itinerary it makes a very comprehensive cruise in the Baltic, while avoiding Russia.  We were iffy about visiting Putinland anyway, so it feels like a good act of defiance to spend money in all these neighboring countries without giving him any!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Not dumb at all! Your are looking at a seasonal specialty called Sugar on Snow. Maple syrup boiled to the soft taffy stage and then poured over snow (or crushed ice if snow not available). Traditionally served with a pickle and a doughnut to cut the sweetness. They tend to be served with a cake doughnut these days, but in my youth, it was always a plain raised doughnut (less sweet). I try to have this once a year!

If you are sitting in a Muskoka rather than an Adirondack chair, the product of maple syrup on snow might be called “maple taffy” (or “maple toffee” by the true Anglophiles). Perhaps “tire d’erable” in Québec.

But we have no counterpart for that rather concerning pickle. 😄 Is that absence a sign of superior judgement in these matters?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, nordski said:

If you are sitting in a Muskoka rather than an Adirondack chair, the product of maple syrup on snow might be called “maple taffy” (or “maple toffee” by the true Anglophiles). Perhaps “tire d’erable” in Québec.

At Atwater Market in Montreal, they roll it up on a popsicle stick - cabane a sucre.

14 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

At Atwater Market in Montreal, they roll it up on a popsicle stick - cabane a sucre.

It is unfortunate that we don’t have an indigenous term to use for this product, or at least I can’t find one. We can assume that it would have been a term created by women, since it was they who oversaw the collection of the sap, its “boiling down”, and no doubt the subsequent sharing of this knowledge with Europeans.

It appears that we are skipping a month of coolish weather and, by the end of this weekend, will he heading to a “warmth” wave. 

In my experience, that will not help production.

1 hour ago, nordski said:

It is unfortunate that we don’t have an indigenous term to use for this product, or at least I can’t find one. We can assume that it would have been a term created by women, since it was they who oversaw the collection of the sap, its “boiling down”, and no doubt the subsequent sharing of this knowledge with Europeans.

It appears that we are skipping a month of coolish weather and, by the end of this weekend, will he heading to a “warmth” wave. 

You’re right with tire d’érable! I live in Montreal and has never seen doughnuts or pickles served to cut the sweetness of maple toffee. More sweet, better it’s 😋

1 hour ago, sovilav01 said:

You’re right with tire d’érable! I live in Montreal and has never seen doughnuts or pickles served to cut the sweetness of maple toffee. More sweet, better it’s 😋

Since our local sugarbush provides only pancakes, I am beginning to think that we are an unimaginative lot.

A cake doughnut has some attractions.

And the pickle, that at first I summarily dismissed, lingers in my thoughts.

So I have to thank Mackdogmolly for expanding the possibilities!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sovilav01 said:

Yes, the pickles and doughnuts are a Vermont tradition 

10 hours ago, nordski said:

You are correct Nordski. We need temps below freezing at night and above during the day. We are headed into some warmish weather too, with many nights well above freezing. 😟

Preparing to play at Mass yesterday and honor the people of Ukraine, I found this beautiful rendition of their national anthem:

https://nj1015.com/beautiful-nj-teen-plays-her-cello-version-of-ukraine-anthem-on-beach/

PS – and notice my new avatar!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1