Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

They have now gotten some sense about requesting a PCR test for returning Canadians on the land border who are in the US less than 72 hours.  Thank goodness.  This is wonderful news for day trippers. 

I can't get my mind off the terrible disasters we have in BC with that torrential rain we had last Sun/Mon.  Heard today it is the worst disaster Canada has ever seen.  I could cry thinking of all the animals drowning in the fields and all the chickens in the flooded barns.  I feel terrible for all those farmers.  I don't think at the present time you can drive from Vancouver to the rest of Canada as many of the roads are flooded and broken up and they are still looking for missing people who were victims of a terrible slide.  Others were trapped in their cars for nearly 20 hours between two slides.  They had to be rescued by helicopters.

2 hours ago, TeaBag said:

They have now gotten some sense about requesting a PCR test for returning Canadians on the land border who are in the US less than 72 hours.  Thank goodness.  This is wonderful news for day trippers. 

I can't get my mind off the terrible disasters we have in BC with that torrential rain we had last Sun/Mon.  Heard today it is the worst disaster Canada has ever seen.  I could cry thinking of all the animals drowning in the fields and all the chickens in the flooded barns.  I feel terrible for all those farmers.  I don't think at the present time you can drive from Vancouver to the rest of Canada as many of the roads are flooded and broken up and they are still looking for missing people who were victims of a terrible slide.  Others were trapped in their cars for nearly 20 hours between two slides.  They had to be rescued by helicopters.

It's a shocking event.  The Pacific NW has been repeatedly slammed with these weather events, I'm so sorry.

Despite the photos and journalists' reports, it is very difficult to comprehend the extent of the damage nor the length of time that restoring basic and auxiliary services will require. 

In the spirit of those who are making great efforts to help their neighbours, it is time for me to reflect more seriously upon the role I play in impacting the environment.

Thanks, Teabag, for making these events more immediate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Indulging your patience again, the review of my second Noble Caledonia Hebridean Sky cruise (Andalucian Odyssey) is now available on Cruise Critic [link below].  A more detailed day-by-day blog with lots of pictures is available here:  https://jazzbeauxandalucianodysseyblog2021.wordpress.com/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is an photo (via drone) of my city of Burlington. The lit up street is Church St, a pedestrian mall that is our main shopping district. Unseen behind, is the Unitarian church, from which it got its name. In the distance, on the right, is beautiful Lake Champlain.

C95B99E7-48FA-463A-8F50-61624537764D.jpeg

Edited by Mackdogmolly
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

This is an photo (via drone) of my city of Burlington. The lit up street is Church St, a pedestrian mall that is our main shopping district. Unseen behind, is the Unitarian church, from which it got its name. In the distance, on the right, is beautiful Lake Champlain.

C95B99E7-48FA-463A-8F50-61624537764D.jpeg

Gorgeous!

Although most are actually filmed in Canada, this could be the setting for one of those Hallmark Christmas movies in which a young career woman living in a metropolis discovers that, during this season, love and happiness are found in more bucolic settings.

Are the impressive buildings in the foreground built of clay brick or some colourful local stone? Are they centres of the municipal government?

They suggest a prosperous past enjoyed by your city. 

2 hours ago, nordski said:

Are the impressive buildings in the foreground built of clay brick or some colourful local stone? Are they centres of the municipal government?

https://www.uvm.edu/~hp206/2015/King/king.html

Long story short, they are brick and date back to the 1890’s. The church dates back to 1816, the oldest church in Burlington. And no, not municipal buildings, but they are impressive!

24 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

https://www.uvm.edu/~hp206/2015/King/king.html

Long story short, they are brick and date back to the 1890’s. The church dates back to 1816, the oldest church in Burlington. And no, not municipal buildings, but they are impressive!

Thanks for that really informative article.

I have always thought of The Masonic Lodge as a rather secretive organization, but the impressive Temple makes me reconsider that uninformed opinion. It certainly makes a statement.

Is there any city that can’t be improved with a pedestrian mall?

Edited by nordski

2 hours ago, nordski said:

Thanks for that really informative article.

I have always thought of The Masonic Lodge as a rather secretive organization, but the impressive Temple makes me reconsider that uninformed opinion. It certainly makes a statement.

Is there any city that can’t be improved with a pedestrian mall?

The pedestrian mall saved downtown Burlington, at a time when shoppers were fleeing downtowns for suburban malls. Our downtown is healthy and vibrant - not that COVID hasn’t had an impact.

In the spirit of, as uktog phrased it, “clinging to the wreckage” of our plans for Christmas, I thought I would share some travel-focussed TV distractions.

Although no doubt already familiar to British posters here, CBC GEM is now showing actor Richard E. Grant’s “Write Around the World”, a travel show that reflects on the writings of famous authors concerning locales centred on the Mediterranean.

He had us with a visit to the Naples of Elena Ferrante and Dickens, and the three shows in the series are brilliant evocations of some of our favourite destinations.

The seriousness of the writings is leavened by visits with several expats from the UK who would sometimes meet our definition of “eccentric”.

Secondly, and more contentious, is our enjoyment of “Emily in Paris”. Based upon some of the broadest of cultural stereotypes, this is the second season of a series that has evoked widely differing reactions.

All I can say is that incidents in the shows remind me of encounters in France in general, and Paris in particular. The first show this season had a scene in a “couchette” and it evoked a memory of my reaction to a similar railway car although, in my case, it was much less elegant.

Lily Collins plays Emily as a “naïf” abroad and perhaps it is telling that I can identify with her reactions. However, she has some of the charisma of her father, Phil, and that, certainly, is something we do not share.

I’d appreciate any suggestions of TV shows that help keep the optimism burning for a future in travel.

• Like 2

Merry Christmas to all!

A quiet one at our house, but a face time call with interstate family after their lunch was good.

I am sure those of you who are lucky enough to be spending time with family over the holiday period know you are the lucky ones. Stay safe and well everyone!

A memory of a Christmas past

031 P1150940 Grand Foyer dressed for Christmas ss - Copy.JPG

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Tom47 said:

I just watched an episode of Travels with Darley.  She visited Yorkshire and Wales.  Among other things she interviewed The Calendar Girls.  Recommended.

Unfortunately, we seem to be living in a Travels with Darley desert here.

We are living in a deep freeze here in Vancouver.  We are setting new records every day.  We are trying to keep our hummingbirds alive by swapping the feeders every hour or so.  Even though I have increased the proportion of sugar to water, it still freezes very quickly.

Happy New Year everybody.

• 2 weeks later...