Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

13 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

-6F, -21C predicted for tomorrow, with wind chill much lower. A cruel return from 2 weeks of sunny, warm weather! 

Thanks for doing the conversion to Celsius. We are presently at -23C, with a windchill of -27.

As a much younger person, I once participated in a nordic loppet when the starting temperature was -40, a temperature at which the two scales converge. How cold was it? It was so cold that service trucks were providing blow torch service to return the engine oil in some cars to a fluid state.

What does it say about me that I am now reluctant to go out for a walk?

Or that your recent Caribbean cruise is a far more attractive thought than that long-ago day on the trails?

Now that I am back in a positive mood 😄, I will share a book note particularly with Mackdogmolly.

I have just finished reading In The Woods by Tana French. It’s a very gripping mystery that doesn’t focus on plot as much as psychological issues.

The relevant point is that the author is Tana French, a native daughter of Burlington, Vermont. However, I must concede that her insights into human frailties seem to be much more informed by the much longer period of her life spent in Dublin, Ireland.

That allows me to relate the book to an upcoming cruise that departs from that city.

But this is a bit of a stretch, as French focuses even less on place than on plot.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, nordski said:

Now that I am back in a positive mood 😄, I will share a book note particularly with Mackdogmolly.

I have just finished reading In The Woods by Tana French. It’s a very gripping mystery that doesn’t focus on plot as much as psychological issues.

The relevant point is that the author is Tana French, a native daughter of Burlington, Vermont. However, I must concede that her insights into human frailties seem to be much more informed by the much longer period of her life spent in Dublin, Ireland.

That allows me to relate the book to an upcoming cruise that departs from that city.

But this is a bit of a stretch, as French focuses even less on place than on plot.

I also read and enjoyed this book.  My review    https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1053423717

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nordski said:

Thanks, @nordski! I will look for it! Right now we are still burning our way through all of the Louise Penny books! I want to move to Three Pines!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Thanks, @nordski! I will look for it! Right now we are still burning our way through all of the Louise Penny books! I want to move to Three Pines!

DW and I are working our way through this series.  I have read 6 books, and DW is almost finished #10.  My review of book 1    https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1281167864

Edited by Tom47
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Glad you like the series. I think many of us would like to live there, if just for the croissants!

When you get to A Rule Against Murder you will find that The Manoir Hovey, in North Hatley in the Eastern Townships, is one of the settings. We would like to stay there once travelling is safer. We could search for pieces of Vilas and/or Roxton maple furniture that were produced in the area (Cowansville and Roxton Falls).

The Manoir itself is modelled on Washington’s Mount Vernon.

22 hours ago, nordski said:

When you get to A Rule Against Murder you will find that The Manoir Hovey, in North Hatley in the Eastern Townships, is one of the settings. We would like to stay there once travelling is safer. We could search for pieces of Vilas and/or Roxton maple furniture that were produced in the area (Cowansville and Roxton Falls).

My DH and I stayed there for a week over New Year's in 2001-02, after deciding not to make our usual Thanksgiving trip to Europe post-911 that year.   We were intent on X-C skiing, but on our first day out I mis-read a topo map, ended too far uphill and fell, slammed my knee, bruising it and putting an end to that activity until the end of the week.  But the funny part of our stay was that I had booked a room with a jacuzzi tub (for apres-ski soaks) and a fireplace to cozy up after skiing.   Our first night there we were awakened by a loud sound - it turns out that the gas fireplace was tied into to the heating system, so it was like a furnace firing up once the room temperature dropped below the set threshold.   Surprise!!  

I don't know if things have changed in 20 years, but I can tell you that woke us up many times over the week.  Good for a laugh now, but not so funny at the time!  Other than that, food was stellar - we tried everything on the menu over the course of the week.  It was a bit more formal than we care for now-a-days (suits in the dining room) but I have fond memories of that trip.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nordski said:

Glad you like the series. I think many of us would like to live there, if just for the croissants!

I’ve read it! And Louise Penny lives in the Eastern Townships village of Knowlton. It looks like they have made a cottage industry of being the inspiration for Three Pines. It’s not too long a drive from here, although off the beaten path. Plan to visit someday!

1 hour ago, the mice said:

My DH and I stayed there for a week over New Year's in 2001-02, after deciding not to make our usual Thanksgiving trip to Europe post-911 that year.   We were intent on X-C skiing, but on our first day out I mis-read a topo map, ended too far uphill and fell, slammed my knee, bruising it and putting an end to that activity until the end of the week.  But the funny part of our stay was that I had booked a room with a jacuzzi tub (for apres-ski soaks) and a fireplace to cozy up after skiing.   Our first night there we were awakened by a loud sound - it turns out that the gas fireplace was tied into to the heating system, so it was like a furnace firing up once the room temperature dropped below the set threshold.   Surprise!!  

I don't know if things have changed in 20 years, but I can tell you that woke us up many times over the week.  Good for a laugh now, but not so funny at the time!  Other than that, food was stellar - we tried everything on the menu over the course of the week.  It was a bit more formal than we care for now-a-days (suits in the dining room) but I have fond memories of that trip.  

Ouch! I winced at the thought of your skiing accident.

I have stories about backcountry ski trips turning into potential disasters, but only one involves a topo map and my failure to read it correctly. As I age, those days are over and cell phones have also removed some of the danger/excitement. That is, if you can get a signal 🙀.

But I really appreciate your comments about Manoir Hovey, and I had never considered how formal it might be. We love the ambience of Azamara so might be out of our comfort zone if staying at the Manoir.

The fireplace issue would be both humorous and aggravating.

Your post is really helpful!

Edited by nordski
  • Like 1