River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

9 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Thanks @Coral, our old-man dog has an extremely elevated liver "number", for lack of a better word, in his blood work.  Could be caused by Cushings (which can be treated with meds, I understand), or a tumor (hoping that's NOT it, obviously), or something else entirely.  We'll know in  a couple of weeks when they ultrasound his liver and adrenal glands.

Sorry about that. I have dealt with elevated liver number also with my best friend/dog. Hoping for the best!

You definitely have a cutie!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

It has been reported here in Germany that those getting the AstraZeneca reported typical side effects like raised temperature, muscle aches, etc. In one hospital half the staff was off work the following day. But it seems to be a 24 hour thing. 

Yea -I think most are experiencing side effects for 24-48 hours. It will be interesting on the approval of AstraZeneca in the US.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coral said:

Yea -I think most are experiencing side effects for 24-48 hours. It will be interesting on the approval of AstraZeneca in the US.

The BBC explained that AstraZeneca has not applied for approval yet, as the FDA wants a study in the US so that the cohorts represent the spectrum of ethnic groups in the US. The study is ongoing. If things are going ahead at this speed with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and the others - and non of those batches are exported - it looks as if you will not actually need the AstraZeneca to cover the population.

Big decision (?) day for the vaccine today and we expect an answer from the EMA later today. WHO wants to utter their comments tomorrow.

What ever happens, with the B117 raging through Germany we have a serious problem at our hands. I hope for the sake of the person's mental and physical well-being that the authorities never find the patient in Kent who created it. Here is the info on the AstraZeneca problem, the medical thing is called "cerebral venous sinus thrombosis", yeah that needs an abbreviation which is officially CVST: https://www.dw.com/en/astrazeneca-whats-the-deal-with-thrombosis/a-56901525

I did not even know you could have that 😱 !! Sometimes it is good to be blissfully ignorant of medical conditions. Still, the authorities promised us full transparency about the vaccines, so that is good. I said yesterday that there are ten cases, but the number is now up to 13, three patients have died from this condition. Not the fact that they happen is so important, but the short time frame in which they have occurred and the closeness in time of them having received the vaccine before they were diagnosed with the condition.

Today is a day of reflection, prayer and mourning in Italy. It is one year ago today that in Bergamo army trucks drove the dead during the night to the cemeteries, the funeral parlours could not handle the workload anymore. Of all the images I have seen that one is one that hit me hard and will stay with me for a long time... :classic_sad::classic_sad:

notamermaid

54 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

What ever happens, with the B117 raging through Germany we have a serious problem at our hands. I hope for the sake of the person's mental and physical well-being that the authorities never find the patient in Kent who created it. Here is the info on the AstraZeneca problem, the medical thing is called "cerebral venous sinus thrombosis", yeah that needs an abbreviation which is officially CVST: https://www.dw.com/en/astrazeneca-whats-the-deal-with-thrombosis/a-56901525

My Mom dealt with blood clots (not in brain) but they are scary and hers was a nightmare.

I’m really worried about any vaccine difficulties and I know any type of blood clot is not a pleasant thing to contemplate but compared with the numbers who annually suffer with them you’ll be surprised. I also doubt that the person in Kent who tested supposedly first with the variant didn’t make it as didn’t the Chinese people who first caught it. Us Brits have so far been accused of many dishonourable things during this pandemic which are blatantly untrue and I for one am getting really fed up with it, miss information and lies by reporters and others. CA

Some interesting info about the A-Z vaccine.

European Medicines Agency has now ruled it safe  https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-safe-european-medicines-agency-rules-n1261395?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Also, the US has decided to do a "loan" of some of it's supplies to Mexico & Canada https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/18/us-astrazeneca-vaccine-doses-mexico-canada

Who knows about that person in Kent? Really know idea apart from the fact that it comes from a single person. There is the fact that some people can harbour the virus for a long time and recover. I just hope we will never find out, so that we cannot put the blame on him or her whether that person has made it or not.  I also meant to imply that that person should never be told, who could live with such a knowledge? Bad enough for some people to have to assume that they infected their mother or father, etc.

I am glad to read that the religious leaders of this world are encouraging their followers. The troublemakers are some regional priests, etc. that think they have the "alternative truth". Incredible.

Happy to read that a local pharmacy here has joined in with offering tests, costs 24,99 euros. But we are also entitled to free testing under certain circumstances and at centres. Different varieties of tests, so please do not comment on the price. All helps.

Sorry to read that some vaccine appointments in England cannot go ahead. A dear person from Kent (they are usually dear but that one is dear to me :classic_smile:) told me yesterday.

notamermaid

8 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Thanks Daisi.

Here is how Deutsche Welle reports it: https://www.dw.com/en/astrazeneca-eu-regulator-rules-vaccine-is-safe-for-use/a-56910224

Safe, but we also take away from this the fact that "The agency also said it could not "definitively" rule out a link between the shot and blood clots." ... "The EMA will conduct additional scientific studies into the matter and recommended that leaflets about the vaccine include information about blood clot risks to raise public awareness."

Fair and transparent. Scientist will stay vigilant, good to know.

Will be interesting to see how things work with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine in the EU as it uses the same strategy, but just a different adenovirus. Does it make a difference to have one shot or two? We will find out late April, hopefully. Not getting any supplies in March here.

16 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Also, the US has decided to do a "loan" of some of it's supplies to Mexico & Canada https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/18/us-astrazeneca-vaccine-doses-mexico-canada

That is good to read. I look forward to reading that Germany will do that, I think we in Rhineland-Palatinate should donate some to Rwanda, our partner country in Africa. Would be lovely.

notamermaid

20 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Some interesting info about the A-Z vaccine.

European Medicines Agency has now ruled it safe  https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-safe-european-medicines-agency-rules-n1261395?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

That "loan" of AstraZeneca vaccines is actually sending us just 1.5 million of the 20 million doses that we have purchased. (For some reason, while our contracts for Pfizer and Moderna were written to source them from Europe rather than the US, to avoid this problem, the AstraZeneca contract states that the doses will come from a US plant.)

It might be different if the US had approved AstraZeneca, but I understand that they have millions of doses sitting in warehouses that could be used elsewhere.

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Oh, that is more than unfortunate. And the EU countries cannot send any to Canada as it violates the EU rules, that export ban. That is how I have understood it.

Sorry.

notamermaid

I'm not sure where the 300,000 doses of AstraZeneca that we have already received came from, but one of the reasons that I was lucky enough to get a shot as part of the 60-64 cohort was that we received these doses in early March, and some (or most) of them had expiry dates of April 2, so we had to get them into arms quickly, and AstraZeneca at the time was not recommended for 65+. (They have since changed the recommendation in Canada due to additional results from abroad.)

15 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I'm not sure where the 300,000 doses of AstraZeneca that we have already received came from,

Hmm, yes I have not read anything about how the supply chain works for the AstraZeneca.

The additional results helped here to change the recommendation as well. It think it was data from Scotland.

I still have absolutely no idea when I will be able to get a jab. Perhaps the Johnson & Johnson will help and I am in line by June. Would be nice.

notamermaid

The announcement of our health authorities came promptly after EMA gave its opinion on the AstraZeneca vaccine. Vaccination is resuming today. There will be a "warning" and info added of the rare possibility of developing blood clots so that medical personnel can react and the people who want to be vaccinated have the full info. Until the info sheet is rewritten, the new info is to be added in handwriting.

BBC said last night, that India will not ship as much vaccine as planned to Britain as they need it for themselves.

Paris is closing down again more and we may close some shops and the museums again that have opened in Rhineland-Palatinate. Not looking good here in Europe, B117 is fast replacing the original and overrunning countries to the East of Germany.

Our top virologist thinks life will be tough for the over 50's for weeks to come.

Indoor dining? River cruises? Laughable to even contemplate any kind of normal procedures happening soon. Easter will come and go and perhaps May will be a happier month - or not.

I am getting scared of people, even seeing a group of five people - which is violating the rules if they are not from one or two households - makes me nervous.

notamermaid

Big news: according to DW news, a German teaching hospital has found the path how the AstraZeneca blood clot problem happens. This has been shared with hospitals around Europe, so I hope it is all legitimate reporting: https://www.dw.com/en/astrazeneca-german-researchers-discover-thrombosis-trigger/a-56925550

This is a German news report from Northern German radio/television: https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/mecklenburg-vorpommern/AstraZeneca-Greifswalder-Forscher-finden-Thrombose-Ursache,coronavirus4660.html

It means that the vaccine does it, but it is a rare reaction in a few recipients. The fact that they have found the direct immune response that causes it, also means they know how to treat it effectively.

Oh, and Hamburg returns to full lockdown...

According to the federal government news conference this morning, we can expect more lock downs and probably no easing of restrictions next week. The B117 is driving up infections even among schoolchildren. (add expletives of your choice at this point) We are in trouble - and any country that does not take the B117 seriously.

notamermaid

More good news here....they have now dropped down the age requirement in Ontario to those 75 and older, as those over 80 have mostly received their appointments.  This is a good 2 weeks earlier than planned, and now that the A-Z has been approved for those over 65, and the shipment coming in from the US, maybe we are finally getting on track.  

Still means no trip home this year, but looking more positive that maybe next year...and a chance of possibly opening the borders for travel by next year as well.  I really can't see them opening the border until most of the countries have this virus under some sort of control.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information. I hope they understand the problem in a little more detail... all I see is that platelets are activated. That's not much more specific that saying that blood clots form.

We have known for some time that COVID-19 infection itself causes abnormal clotting, but I don't think we know the mechanism very well. And there isn't a great consensus as to how to prevent it either. 

Edited by jpalbny

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Thanks for the information. I hope they understand the problem in a little more detail... all I see is that platelets are activated. That's not much more specific that saying that blood clots form.

We have known for some time that COVID-19 infection itself causes abnormal clotting, but I don't think we know the mechanism very well. And there isn't a great consensus as to how to prevent it either. 

It says it is a strong immune response like in wound healing, it seems that it is stronger in women especially younger ones (under 60, probably even under 50). I have read that somewhere else. This article also gives the name of the Greifswald researcher: Professor Andreas Greinacher

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/covid-2021-03-19/card/lwroZi9eJM7Yvxz7jv7F

I also read somewhere it has something to do with estrogen that makes it stronger in women. Like it occurs more often in late pregnancy as well, blood clotting I mean. Fascinating, even if only understand a tenth of it.

Yes, that blood clotting I read about a few months ago, a gruesome effect of Covid-19.

Thank you for your work, and your colleagues, we need all your expertise, people, more than ever. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info

@notamermaid, thank you for the added information. Will have to go looking for a primary source to try to understand it in more detail. I would not be surprised if we learn that the mechanism of blood clotting is similar with "natural" infection as well.

But not this weekend. I am right now enjoying a glass of Gewürztraminer. But will you be upset with me, when I tell you that it is from Italy? Yes, Sudtirol (Alto Adige) makes a very tasty version of that wine.  The cold climate gives it a fine acidity to go with the Gewürze. Full-bodied and a very deep yellow color in the glass. Some of the wines from that region have German on the label, though this particular one does not.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

Gewürztraminer from the "Etschtal"? No problem, I think I have had one myself not too long ago! Alto Adige, aach! (That is a German long sigh from me). Childhood memories of happy holidays. The region is officially bilingual, German recognized as a regional minority language. I do not know how many speak it but I remember that I spoke to the some locals who spoke it fluently. I went to the marble works at Laas (Lasa) and I have a photo of myself standing there at about the age of twelve. I love the region, the hills and Meran town, Kastelbell is grand to look at with its castle: https://www.suedtirolerland.it/en/south-tyrol/val-venosta/castelbello-ciardes/castelbello/

notamermaid

German and Italian are the official languages of Sud (South) Tyrol, with the majority of the population native German speakers.

The linguistic breakdown according to ASTAT 2014 (based on the census of 2011) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Tyrol😞

Language Number %
German 314,604 62.3%
Italian 118,120 23.4%
Ladin 20,548 4.1%
Other 51,371 10.2%
Total 504,643 100%

Wikipedia has an interesting write-up (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_system_in_South_Tyrol) on the socio-linguistic foundations of second language acquisition with regard to three types of area:

• The urban areas (with an Italian population of approximately 40% to 70%) in which speakers of Italian and German have manifold opportunities to practice their respective second language
  • The valley areas (with an Italian population of approximately 10% to 70%) in which the German-speaking has considerably fewer opportunities to practice Italian
  • The rural areas/mountain areas, in which very few Italians live (less than 10%) and the German-speaking population treats Italian basically as a school subject and makes little use of the access to Italian media
  • Thanks 1

News is coming in of Germany's vaccination plans and lock down or not and other countries in the EU suffering and lock downs, I find it difficult to get my head round it. What stands out is the sad news that another woman has died after having been given the AstraZeneca vaccine. She was only 37. There seems to be a strong link of sex and age range to the side effects, as I have mentioned before. It is still rare, so rare that in a cohort of 10,000 (as a typical example) during clinical trials this may not even happen. I wonder what the statistics are if you adjust them now that large populations have been vaccinated and just look at vaccinated women aged 20 to 50 and then look at the occurrence. I reckon it will not be 1 in 50 million and jump to "rare" rather than "extremely rare". Our leader said she would take the AstraZeneca vaccine - she is over 60 mind you, easy choice for her.

France has reacted and does not recommend the vaccine to people under 55.

And I have made my decision.

Oh, and you may have read it: a long dormant volcano has erupted in Iceland. No direct impact on Europe expected this time, but Iceland has cancelled flights.

notamermaid

11 hours ago, notamermaid said:

News is coming in of Germany's vaccination plans and lock down or not and other countries in the EU suffering and lock downs, I find it difficult to get my head round it. What stands out is the sad news that another woman has died after having been given the AstraZeneca vaccine. She was only 37. There seems to be a strong link of sex and age range to the side effects, as I have mentioned before. It is still rare, so rare that in a cohort of 10,000 (as a typical example) during clinical trials this may not even happen. I wonder what the statistics are if you adjust them now that large populations have been vaccinated and just look at vaccinated women aged 20 to 50 and then look at the occurrence. I reckon it will not be 1 in 50 million and jump to "rare" rather than "extremely rare". Our leader said she would take the AstraZeneca vaccine - she is over 60 mind you, easy choice for her.

France has reacted and does not recommend the vaccine to people under 55.

And I have made my decision.

Do you have access to either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine?

24 minutes ago, Coral said:

Do you have access to either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine?

We have the Pfizer/BioNTech, the Moderna, the AstraZeneca and the Johnson & Johnson approved in Germany (and the EU). Me personally, I have no access to any of them, meaning I have no chance of getting an appointment for any of them soon, as I am too young, too healthy (thankfully) and not relevant to the system, no helper in any type of vaccine centre and not a carer for a sick or disabled person. I hope that by the time I am eligible, I will have a choice.

We will get more doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech soon, more than was planned for March by the company (after they had had to revise their delivery promise) meaning that GPs will be able to vaccinate from April all across the country, but the doses are very limited. I hope I can get a relative into the scheme, meaning her GP can assess if she should be prioritized, something they would likely decline in a vaccination centre.

Germany is also shifting the focus from fair and even distribution across the country to sending more doses to municipalities bordering on countries where the variants are rampant. Which now includes Poland that is a by new regulation classified as a high risk and incidence area (or whatever they call it) from tomorrow. The German authorities will only allow entry into our country with a negative PCR test (exceptions apply).

Basically we are scr**** with our many borders and not enough vaccines to satisfy the needs of Europe.

Sorry, you just asked a quick question and I ramble on. I think I should go to bed... The thought of having another birthday in a kind of lock down is getting me down.

Tomorrow will be no better day, but perhaps the sun will be out and my neighbour's cats will be happy.

notamermaid

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Basically we are scr**** with our many borders and not enough vaccines to satisfy the needs of Europe.

Sorry, you just asked a quick question and I ramble on. I think I should go to bed... The thought of having another birthday in a kind of lock down is getting me down.

I completely understand! I turned 50 last year under lock down and will be 51 next month and will not have traveled more than 1-2 hours. I had an amazing trip planned for my 50th that got cancelled. 

I hope Europe is able to get more vaccines soon! If it wasn't for my job - I would probably be a month or two away from a vaccine also. I know it is frustrating.

• Like 2