Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

On 10/28/2023 at 1:45 AM, Host Hattie said:

Happy Black Cat Day from Biggles

I'm just catching up on the past few months of postings from this thread.  Sympathies @Colin_Cameron on your dad's health and travel changes.  Also @D&N on your loss of one of your companions.  .

And apologies to Biggles for missing "Black Cat Day".  After the Barcelona finish of our recent QE adventure in September, we went by train to Madrid for a bit of business before returning to Australia.  It wasn't all work, though, and we managed to fit in a day trip to Toledo.  We had a very nice day, and lunch was delicious Iberian ham sandwiches from a local shop.  While eating our lunch outside and enjoying the views out to the river, a local stray black kitten came by, hoping for us to share.  It looked like it hadn't had anything to eat in several days, and we were happy to provide a few small pieces of ham and cheese for which it (couldn't tell he vs. she) seemed very grateful.  I hope it found a home.

image.thumb.png.e0fa0d57643e52bbe0e3421ea71cc162.png

Edited by sfred
  • Like 4

Well, it's the week before Christmas. All of the decoration is done, but there are still gifts to be wrapped. Years ago when I was still at university. I got a Winter Break job at a local department store wrapping packages. I got quite good at it too. However sixty years later my skill or my dexterity seem to have failed me, so now just basic wrapping and tagging. No fancy ribbons or bows.

It will all be done by tomorrow as my cleaning crew comes Wednesday and the dining table, my wrapping station, needs to be cleared for them. My offspring declared that Amazon Gift Cards would be welcomed, and they come pre-wrapped and Amazon delivered. 

There are some good things about the modern age we live in. 

• Like 2

@Bigmike911 After filling many trash bins with wrapping paper I decided we were going to really take to heart Reduce-Reuse-Recyle. I bought lots of beautiful fabric and started sewing gift bags of all sizes. For many years I had purchased wired ribbon, so I attached them to the bags. It has really made getting presents under the tree an easy process. I wish I could say mine were all under the tree, but we don’t think we can do it until closer to Christmas because the 3-year old would want to open them immediately. I bet you’ve got your Christmas dinner all planned. Are you doing chestnut soup again this year? We’re having dinner on Wednesday at a restaurant with wonderful chestnut soup and I plan to order it. Happy Holidays!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, techteach said:

@Bigmike911 After filling many trash bins with wrapping paper I decided we were going to really take to heart Reduce-Reuse-Recyle. I bought lots of beautiful fabric and started sewing gift bags of all sizes. For many years I had purchased wired ribbon, so I attached them to the bags. It has really made getting presents under the tree an easy process. I wish I could say mine were all under the tree, but we don’t think we can do it until closer to Christmas because the 3-year old would want to open them immediately. I bet you’ve got your Christmas dinner all planned. Are you doing chestnut soup again this year? We’re having dinner on Wednesday at a restaurant with wonderful chestnut soup and I plan to order it. Happy Holidays!

Yes, it's cream of Chestnut Soup again this year. Along with Prime Rib with au jus, individual Yorkshire puddings, asparagus with Hollandaise, Waldorf Salad and Pecan Pie. The only change is instead of twice baked potatoes. Which have disappeared from the markets, I and doing English style roasted potatoes. With plenty of Vueve Clicquot to wash it down.

I like the idea of reusable gift bags, I will have to see if I can find some fancy ones. I have zero sewing skills. A loose button requires a trip to the tailor. Maybe Amazon?

• Like 3

Our Christmas card this year was printed in September before Carmel died. It's not really practical to leave it any later. I titled it "Daredevil Kitten".

I need to think up a theme for next year now. I should have plenty of photos of Coco and Ursel to choose from.

DaredevilKitten2023.thumb.jpg.a6487f79fdbc1ae63909c637ff7457a6.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Yes, it's cream of Chestnut Soup again this year. Along with Prime Rib with au jus, individual Yorkshire puddings, asparagus with Hollandaise, Waldorf Salad and Pecan Pie. The only change is instead of twice baked potatoes. Which have disappeared from the markets, I and doing English style roasted potatoes. With plenty of Vueve Clicquot to wash it down.

I like the idea of reusable gift bags, I will have to see if I can find some fancy ones. I have zero sewing skills. A loose button requires a trip to the tailor. Maybe Amazon?

Golly @Bigmike911, l’ve never tried to buy them. How about Etsy? Amazon provides them when you order an item from them and have it gift wrapped.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, techteach said:

Golly @Bigmike911, l’ve never tried to buy them. How about Etsy? Amazon provides them when you order an item from them and have it gift wrapped.

And the actually sell them too. I ordered a set of 12 and should have then tomorrow. I doubt they will be as elegant as your hand sewn ones, but likely better than my gift wrapping so far this year.  I still have four gifts to wrap, so I am counting on them working

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, techteach said:

Returned Friday from Las Vegas. I left $$$ and brought back Covid. Shouldn’t be much of a surprise, but this round is not as bad as my first. So much for a big family Christmas dinner. Happy Holidays everyone!

Yikes! Feel better and Merry Christmas. 

• Like 1

I got off an MSC cruise last Sunday (8 hours late into port) with a cold, that turned out to be Covid.  My first time.  I knew I was coming home to my niece who also has Covid.  At least we know we didn’t give it to each other.  Not real sick, just like a cold.  EM

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I got off an MSC cruise last Sunday (8 hours late into port) with a cold, that turned out to be Covid.  My first time.  I knew I was coming home to my niece who also has Covid.  At least we know we didn’t give it to each other.  Not real sick, just like a cold.  EM

Get well soon 

Hope that those with Covid feel better soon.

We had cold's in November. Nora brought one back from Scotland then gave it to me. Tested and not Covid. We've both had our sixth Covid jab and annual flu jabs and don't really mix in large groups.

Our biggest problem is that we decided to get Coco sterilised on January 9th as the vet is taking some time off at Christmas and New Year. Not having been in the situation of having a female cat who could go into season for over forty years I forgot about that possibility. Coco is quite vocal about her desires!

If I'd taken that into account she would have been in for the op at beginning of month.

We’re having a rainy day here in Coastal GA.  The garbage truck has come and gone, early.  Yes, Monday is trash day for us, and the trash people do not take holidays off.  I think some folks forgot, as the neighbors who always have two bins full did not put out any.  They have five children…. EM

• Like 1

Merry Christmas to everyone. 

It’s been a busy one.

Up early, out to the yard bringing in ponies for feed, treats. Groom and cuddles then back out again. 

Home, then round to local pub for a fabulous Christmas lunch followed by a few refreshments. 

Now back home, with track suit on with a cup of tea enjoying my new Tim Peake book whilst the others watch TV. 

Simples. 

Sorry to hear some folks under the weather. There is definitely “a bug” going round as a lot of folks up here have been sick. Otherwise, enjoy your day. 

• Like 3

Merry Christmas to everyone, especially anyone feeling under the weather today (and it has been a typically damp although mild one here). 

We had the quiet, pleasant day that, for various reasons, I didn’t think we’d be getting a few days ago, so that was the “gift” I most appreciated today.  Not perfect, but a quite nice time, with lovely food, including turkey sandwiches this evening, my festive favourite. 

• Like 2