Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Just as I was reading this earlier the wind strengthened and the power went off !

It was back on within about 20 minutes and fortunately the wind had dropped by the time I drove home. This was the road between our village and the nearest town. 

Sorry to see the pics of the floods and your power loss. 

Sadly, it is happening all too often now. My thoughts go out to those who have been hit hard with this terrible weather.  I see it every day as I drive back and forth to the livery yard with all the fields flooded. It's tragic.

On a happier note, We added another cruise prior to our April 2025 Transatlantic to allow us some time in the Caribbean before we sail back to UK. Its with another line, but its ok, we also have the QM2 in Jan 25 (and July 24) to look forward to.

I always say, the next best thing to being on a cruise is planning for the next one ! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Just as I was reading this earlier the wind strengthened and the power went off !

It was back on within about 20 minutes and fortunately the wind had dropped by the time I drove home. This was the road between our village and the nearest town. 

FB_IMG_1704210787470.jpg

Yikes!

22 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

FB_IMG_1704210787470.jpg

Gosh, grim. What does Mr. Biggles think of the wind?

On 1/2/2024 at 11:18 AM, Host Hattie said:

FB_IMG_1704210787470.jpg

I hope the weather improves for you, all. We have been having back to back storms a couple of days apart, they then head northeast over the Eastern Seaboard, across the pond to you. We have one more to go of this series, tomorrow, Monday 8th Jan, and I hope they use all their energy on this side of the Atlantic. 

Good Luck. 

• Thanks 1

Belated Christmas & New Year's wishes to all, hope everyone had a great time, I couldn't read it all as I had 3 or 4 pages full of posts and I am painfully slow at reading at the mo, but enjoyed those photos! 

The weather here is the very worse I have faced in 30 something years in England, hope with all my heart that those of you in areas affected (not just in the UK) with floods and speedy winds are staying safe.

I wonder how affected the ships that are sailing around the areas of the storms are doing... this made me re-think as we realized late that the cabin we were given for next Christmas is right in the very front of the boat...we booked on board so as we were booking an access cabin, I assumed it would be placed in a balanced place... called Cunard see if we could, not change, but cancel that booking and buy another in a different cabin, we asked for a cabin in the region of the one we were in September in deck 6... we would have to pay more money, not too much,  but we would also loose some of the onboard credit we were given, so we decided against, we want to book another cruise and also have some other travels we need to do, which makes the need to keep saving... 

Once again, hoping you all had a great Christmas, wishing you all the best for this new year 🙂

• Like 3

We had our first real snowfall yesterday here in Maine.  This morning I saw 3 mourning doves warming themselves on the heated birdbath.  Smart birds!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, alc13 said:

We had our first real snowfall yesterday here in Maine.  This morning I saw 3 mourning doves warming themselves on the heated birdbath.  Smart birds!

Heated bird bath, You are a generous host. Well done.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We had snow here on Tuesday, the last of the ice has finally gone today. It was minus 6 on Wednesday night so we've had a taste of winter. 

Not a lot else to report here just plodding on and trying to make it to February 🙃

Edited by Lanky Lad
  • Like 2

This on Thursday when it was -9C. 
Pleased to see it’s now a balmy +8C however we are bracing ourselves for yet another storm tomorrow with severe gales. 
Apart from that all is well!

IMG_1676.jpeg

IMG_1677.jpeg

• Like 3

No snow here although there was some in Pembrokeshire. It was certainly cold for the reporters outside our Works Entrance on Thursday and Friday. 

Getting ready for the wind now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

It was certainly cold for the reporters outside our Works Entrance on Thursday and Friday.

I assume that's about a recent big news story. Not that it's any of my/our business, but is what's happening there a problem for you?

3 minutes ago, D&N said:

I assume that's about a recent big news story. Not that it's any of my/our business, but is what's happening there a problem for you?

Potentially, I'm a Union rep so it's going to be very busy whatever happens. 

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

Good luck anyway.

Don't know much about the commercial side of it and can appreciate reservations in subsidising an international conglomerate, but seems a bit short sighted to allow production of such a strategically important commodity to be eliminated.

• Like 3

We were out Friday evening and my wife decided to make it a Coco-Canel themed evening.

Photo could have been clearer but was difficult to get Coco to look at camera.

IMG_20240119_203820490crop.thumb.jpg.d7aea064979ca4afd4bf89ce7f33ef83.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I know it’s not the right place, but have the four blast  furnaces at Scunthorpe closed? Like Cunard ships, they were called after four queens.

16 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I know it’s not the right place, but have the four blast  furnaces at Scunthorpe closed? Like Cunard ships, they were called after four queens.

Not yet, they still have 2 of the 4 running. I'm not sure why theirs had impressive names and ours just numbers. 

Just now, Host Hattie said:

Not yet, they still have 2 of the 4 running. I'm not sure why theirs had impressive names and ours just numbers. 

Well, what else is there in Lincolnshire? (Apart from a spectacular cathedral.) 😀

41 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

That's a very interesting bit of trivia this American can say he learned today. Quoting from the Wikipedia article for Scunthorpe Steelworks:

"Primary iron production was at four blast furnaces first established or expanded in the 1950s, and known as the four Queens: named Queen Anne, Bess, Victoria, and Mary."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Perhaps so they didn't have to say things like "Queen Mary shut down for repairs".

8 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Perhaps so they didn't have to say things like "Queen Mary shut down for repairs".

I'm not sure when Queen Mary was last in use, they are currently using Queen Anne and getting Queen Bess ready again after problems with Queen Victoria. 

11 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I'm not sure when Queen Mary was last in use, they are currently using Queen Anne and getting Queen Bess ready again after problems with Queen Victoria. 

Probably got rust on the outside and strange smells emanating. Oh, sorry, that’s the ship…😀

• Haha 1