Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How are things where YOU are?

Most people wear masks in supermarkets in Dallas area, we go to restaurants a couple times a week , one has live music, we both have had two Covid shots and booster, did two concerts , one required masks other didn’t. Sailing on Allure Saturday in a grand suite so we having Covid test scheduled on thanksgiving, flying on Friday .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Coralc said:

Everyone wears masks here in the SF Bay Area. It is just what we do.

That's at least a good thing. Wish I could say the same here in Berks County.

Stubborn PA dutchmen  🤨  Our numbers of cases and hospitalizations just keeps shooting up, and yet people just keep going out and doing their thing like all is hunky-dory. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, JMKreno said:

Part of the issue with COVID is that it is the morbid "sweet spot" for being a big enough issue that society can't ignore it, but it is just survivable enough that most people don't see its effects first hand.

If COVID had a 10-20% IFR while maintaining its initial R0 of 2-3, the world would have done a hard lockdown like China. The national guard would have been ordered to enforce restrictions (possibly augmented by the military under the epidemic authorizations allowed for domestic military use in H.R. 5122). If things were not under control, even supply chain essential businesses would have been shut down - likely electricity restrictions, water restrictions, and other wartime-like controls would be put in place to limit the amount of people required to "keep the world turning".

But with an IFR of .5-.1% (Delta is likely closer to that 1% figure in immuno-naive individuals, although new treatments are helping) and heavily biased towards the elderly? It's just deadly enough that it's a big deal for society (and also is a severe enough disease to overrun medical systems), but not deadly enough that people see and feel the danger day to day. It allows denialism to fester, and allows people to rationalize the absurdity of not getting a safe and effective vaccine.

If COVID had an IFR of 10-20%, there would be no noise on vaccines being mandated. We wouldn't be having these conversations. If the disease was not controlled entirely by the hard lockdown mentioned earlier, the national guard would have had to secure distribution of the vaccine because people would have been so desperate to get it.

Unfortunately here we are with the IFR just under 1%, and so we're having a bunch of political and social drama about having to force people to do the right thing. Because it's necessary to protect the many, but it's not so dangerous that an individual can't roll the dice and end up ahead most of the time even without the vaccine.

I live in Florida, so I stick close to home and use a mask when I go out as well as hand sanitizer. Fully vaccinated and was boostered a few weeks ago. I'm catching up with old friends and learning a new language. After 17 cancelled/rescheduled cruises and three major trips cancelled in the past two years, this is definitely not how I planned to spend my retirement. The deaths are hard enough to deal with (three in my family last year), but people forget that the short and long term effects of COVID are still being investigated. One of my friends was among the first in January 2020 I knew who had the disease. She still can't walk 10 feet without breathing difficulty and they can't figure out why, the tests come back within normal range. My friend who contracted it in August (right before she was supposed to get vaccinated because her doctor finally cleared her medically to do so) still can't taste or smell properly. A healthy 26 yo contracted COVID in September 2020 and still has brain fog, while her boyfriend is fine. COVID will be considered a pre-existing condition since no one is sure how it will affect someone later on; medical premiums will be skyrocketing. Treatments have been successfully developed. Diseases should not be politicized. But people should ask themselves: "Do I want to be the one who turns out to be a long hauler?" We should all do what we can to be happy and healthy at the same time. 

Edited by Emelda1967
more to say
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Emelda1967 said:

this is definitely not how I planned to spend my retirement. The deaths are hard enough to deal with (three in my family last year), but people forget that the short and long term effects of COVID are still being investigated.

That statement sure nails it. Agree totally. It is time we never get back. As you say, so many people don't think about those who are seemingly "long haulers". 

16 hours ago, Emelda1967 said:

Diseases should not be politicized

This REALLY says it all....and is a very 'loaded' statement. I could say a whole bunch of stuff that I shouldn't - at least on this forum.    😉  I'll go as far as to say that the politicization is a key reason why so many people won't mask. Our church has been a disaster from day one in terms of people not masking. It was never enforced or encouraged. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

I am in the Dominican Republic.  Masks are mandatory and most follow the rule.  We had been under a curfew for many months but it was done away with I think it was July.   some especially the younger ones are not getting vaccinated. Vaccinations are free.  Our  numbers were going down but have really increased again mostly among the younger ones and the unvaccinated ones.  They have now instituted a requirement to enter supermacados, banks, public buildings etc. that you show proof of vaccination or negative tests.  However, like some of the rules here, not all stores are checking.  Our religious meetings are on zoom and will continue to be until this is under control.  I don't want to be one who infects someone else nor do I want someone to give it to me either.  We are all in this together and must look our for each other.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cindyscruise said:

Masks are mandatory and most follow the rule.

I think there'd be open revolt if there was another attempt to enforce that here in PA. There are already enough people ready to run our governor out of town on a broken horse for how the mandates were enforced from day one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Everyone must continue to be diligent.

You're right. Omicron will surely spread all over. Seems inevitable. I worry that so many people, variants or no, are simply done with it (masking and so forth). They've had it. At least in my part of the county. Even the employees in grocery stores aren't masking anymore for the most part. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

14 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

You're right. Omicron will surely spread all over. Seems inevitable. I worry that so many people, variants or no, are simply done with it (masking and so forth). They've had it. At least in my part of the county. Even the employees in grocery stores aren't masking anymore for the most part. 

We would shop in another store or order delivery 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We would shop in another store

Doesn't matter which store you go in here. Order/delivery for groceries is a PITA. Sometimes they substitute items. While I want to be as cautious as I can, I agree with what some other posters are saying - that it's not desirable to live one's life in total fear and sort of in a bubble. I even doubt myself sometimes relative to the extent that I'm carrying the precautions. DW and I are fully vaccinated, are getting the booster, and yet are behaving the exact same way we did before there were vaccines. Somehow that seems a bit over the top, but we've been doing it anyway. No way I'm spending the rest of my life wearing a freakin' mask all the time. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I think there'd be open revolt if there was another attempt to enforce that here in PA. There are already enough people ready to run our governor out of town on a broken horse for how the mandates were enforced from day one. 

Masks are being reintroduced in shops and transport from Tuesday in the UK  because of the new variant. Before this it was optional and is about 50/50 

Will be interesting to see if people comply this time round 

Edited by sgmn

I'm in Virginia and things are pretty much back to normal. The are I live in outside of Richmond, there are a few people that wear a mask in the supermarket but that just picked up with the new variant. I'm older and retired and treat this just as I would the flu. Use common sense and wash your hands often. It's kind of hard to listen to the government on mandates when our southern border is wide open with no covid testing being done.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tuckster said:

I'm in Virginia and things are pretty much back to normal. The are I live in outside of Richmond, there are a few people that wear a mask in the supermarket but that just picked up with the new variant. I'm older and retired and treat this just as I would the flu. Use common sense and wash your hands often. It's kind of hard to listen to the government on mandates when our southern border is wide open with no covid testing being done.

Just visited my family in richmond for a long thanksgiving visit . People are wearing masks in restaurants, airport, mall, etc.  With the newest strain of covid arriving here, we all must continue to be diligent.  My family members include 3 physicians and made sure we practiced covid protocols.  We are looking foward to our upcoming cruises and don’t want to get covid.  We have worked so hard thus far.  Don’t want to spoil it.  Be safe

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 10:58 AM, Cruise a holic said:

Just visited my family in richmond for a long thanksgiving visit . People are wearing masks in restaurants, airport, mall, etc.  With the newest strain of covid arriving here, we all must continue to be diligent.  My family members include 3 physicians and made sure we practiced covid protocols.  We are looking foward to our upcoming cruises and don’t want to get covid.  We have worked so hard thus far.  Don’t want to spoil it.  Be safe

Masks are still required in airports 

On 12/5/2021 at 3:50 PM, broadwaybaby123 said:

they are all at capacity. 

Yep...same here. Talk of having to ship people to hospitals out of the area, and vice versa. Health care workers quitting due to the continued stress, etc. So possible limits being imposed on the number of nurses, etc. per patient. Most of the hospitalizations are unvaccinated. Need I say more? 

On 12/6/2021 at 7:13 AM, Cruise a holic said:

and you need to cover both up.  

This thing about only wearing a mask over your mouth is something I've never comprehended. Makes no sense, and yet I see it all the time. 

40 minutes ago, Keksie said:

We have been to 2 parties so far and next Friday is another one.

Nope...wouldn't catch me at one, unless everyone is either vaccinated or masked. I was invited to one that a fellow retired teacher always hosts, but kindly declined since the invitation said masks are optional. Last year they didn't do it. Have not been inside a restaurant - except to get takeout food - since June and no plans to go anytime soon. 

As to Christmas, as a Catholic church organist I know all about being busy getting ready for Christmas and the bulk of it is totally independent of getting and putting up a tree or wrapping gifts. Not to sound Scroogish, but I'm less and less fond of Holidays as I get older. One of these years I'd like to go on a trip during Christmas and have nothing else to do! 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Haha 1

As  covid rates are increasing- including the new omicron, hopefully people aren't engaged in  dangerous behavior-  Would hate to miss my cruise.  Keep those masks on- We are getting together with  only vaccinated family, but in a scaled down manner- practicing social distancing.

Be safe all-

58 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Nope...wouldn't catch me at one, unless everyone is either vaccinated or masked. I was invited to one that a fellow retired teacher always hosts, but kindly declined since the invitation said masks are optional. Last year they didn't do it. Have not been inside a restaurant - except to get takeout food - since June and no plans to go anytime soon. 

As to Christmas, as a Catholic church organist I know all about being busy getting ready for Christmas and the bulk of it is totally independent of getting and putting up a tree or wrapping gifts. Not to sound Scroogish, but I'm less and less fond of Holidays as I get older. One of these years I'd like to go on a trip during Christmas and have nothing else to do! 

OntheJourney, definitely recommend treating yourself one holiday season.  We've done this most of the past 12 years being on cruises with family and friends for either Xmas, New Years or both.  Together with Thanksgiving, these are some the best times to cruise.  Everyone is in a really good mood, you have a great time and there is no clean up!  Have a happy and safe holiday season!

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

I don't know if everyone was vaccinated at either party and no one wears masks around here.  I have been around the same people off and on for the last two years so don't feel that a party was anymore dangerous then normal. We have been eating out this entire time at least twice a week except for March and April of 2020.  I love the holidays especially now that I am close to family and can celebrate.  It does take me much longer to decorate (5 trees etc.) but being retired I have more time to do it.  Before we moved here and after my parents had passed we went on a cruise for Thanksgiving.  It was very relaxing and a lot of fun.  

3 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Everyone is in a really good mood, you have a great time and there is no clean up!  Have a happy and safe holiday season!

Thanks...this is good advice!  Never done it but sounds good. Part of my hesitation is my commitment as a paid church organist and choir director. Christmas and Easter are not exactly  'days off' ! Busiest times of the liturgical year. Most of what I've been doing the past 2 weeks is planning for Advent and Christmas services. I'm so glad when January rolls around...until we get into Lent. I have cruised during Lent, which only involves sometimes missing a rehearsal or two, but then Holy Week and Easter is a totally different story. Oh well....we all do what we do. 

In the midst of 12 Christmas parties at work!  I'm an Activity Director for a local Retirement Community.  Every year I do a "12 Days Of Christmas" event and everyday leading up to Christmas, there is an event.  They love it so far, it's the first year they've done this, and my 2nd year (I wasn't allowed to do it the last 2 years due to COVID precautions).

• Like 2