Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How are things where YOU are?

Went to the last Christmas party of the season last night.  I was very nice and a lot of fun.  I had a longish drive so I stayed away from the adult beverages.  Now I need to bake a few batches of cookies.  Then I can relax until the 24th when I will need to get the house ready and the food ready for the big day.  

• Like 1

Many people with Covid in France , and hospitals going full  , the 80% are no Vax ...

We have a sanitary PASS since Agust very easy to use , all ciné, restautant, train TGV , theater, library , sport arena , fitness , hight schools, nurses , even to visit a familiar in hospital ..... 

In januar the sanitary pass will change to  Vax pass , people no vaccined even with PCR test cannot enter , that will be a sort of Vaccination obligation. 

Adults over 18 are at 90% vax but that means 5M of people are not , enough to full hospitals .

We weare mask in lifts, shops, every interior place , and in exterior crowded. 

I 'l escape in 3 days to Barbados and Grandeur of the seas , after  3 test in 4 days .... I hope !

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

80% of the people in my county are vaccinated, so only unvaccinated  wear masks nowadays with the exception of medical facilities.  My county never had that many cases to begin with.    Hospitalizations remain low with only 23 hospitalized and 1 death - a 91 year old woman with underlying health conditions in the past 24 hours.   The deaths here have mostly been elderly or those already with fatal illnesses who also caught Covid-19.   We continue to take precautions: avoiding crowded places, staying socially distanced if we don't know the person's vaccination status, washing hands frequently and using hand sanitizer. Other than that, life has mostly returned to normal and people are out in droves Christmas shopping, working, eating out and going about their lives. I shopped early to avoid crowds and long lines and am buying stuff online this week to avoid crowds.  I've had the booster, so I should be good, but am still being cautious.  We did go on a driving vacation for 4 nights, taking the usual precautions and had no problem at all.  We've been thinking about cruising again but my husband wants to stay off of airplanes - not because of Covid - because of the fighting.  So that would require a considerable drive but doable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SuiteTraveler said:

80% of the people in my county are vaccinated, so only unvaccinated  wear masks nowadays with the exception of medical facilities.  My county never had that many cases to begin with.    Hospitalizations remain low with only 23 hospitalized and 1 death - a 91 year old woman with underlying health conditions in the past 24 hours.   The deaths here have mostly been elderly or those already with fatal illnesses who also caught Covid-19.   We continue to take precautions: avoiding crowded places, staying socially distanced if we don't know the person's vaccination status, washing hands frequently and using hand sanitizer. Other than that, life has mostly returned to normal and people are out in droves Christmas shopping, working, eating out and going about their lives. I shopped early to avoid crowds and long lines and am buying stuff online this week to avoid crowds.  I've had the booster, so I should be good, but am still being cautious.  We did go on a driving vacation for 4 nights, taking the usual precautions and had no problem at all.  We've been thinking about cruising again but my husband wants to stay off of airplanes - not because of Covid - because of the fighting.  So that would require a considerable drive but doable.

What country are you talking about? 80% seems like a big number but it does not include children who can also transfer the virus and make it populate within the community. As long as young and active % of the population is vaccinated (and the elderly of course) - there should not be a problem

We live in a coastal town about a 4 hour drive from Sydney. We don't have too may cases of Omicron where we live at this stage but masks and mandatory QR checkin has just been introduced again for the next month.

We have 3B2B cruises booked out of Amsterdam next year, but at this stage unsure whether we will commit to them or not. It's the second tome we have re-scheduled them so hopefully we don't have to do it again.

About half the people in my state are vaccinated.  Most of my family works in the healthcare field (including me), so I can tell you for sure, there's not many beds left in the hospitals.  I can count on one hand how many I know of that are available.  

As far as Christmas yesterday, this is the second year in a row I was not able to see my niece and nephew due to them not being vaccinated (although one is in the process).  We did, however get together with other fully vaccinated members of my family.  We had a blast, and my parents and I all got each other cruise related gifts for our *hopefully* upcoming cruise in Feb. aboard Anthem.  My Mom got Bocca clips from me to use on the lounge chairs (she's always wanted some but never got any), my Dad got Aviator Sunglasses from me as well as a 360-degree wheeled suitcase.  My mom and I each got Jabra wireless earbuds to use on the trip!  I also volunteer for Fitbit and was able to get my Mom (who's been asking for an upgrade) a Fitbit Sense (as an upgrade from her Versa 2).

And of course I got some games to use with my seniors, including "Left, Right, Center" (which came in a box of 6 other games), "The 25,000 Pyramid" game, "Christmas Charades" game, a movie trivia game, "Ladder Toss", and "The Wonder Years" on DVD. 

Edited by broadwaybaby123
  • Like 1

Hi from northern NJ, Bayonne (Cape Liberty) to be precise.

It's very hard to get a test around here. Pharmacies that used to be wide open for testing have huge backlogs and delays. The City of Bayonne is testing people daily at the Ice Rink behind the high school, and two days a week at the museum. City MD cuts off their line at 11 AM. People line up at 6:00 AM to get a test. PCR tests are taking 5 days to turn around.

I am supposed to sail on Jan 10 so I booked rapid antigen tests on the 8th at CVS, but I will have to travel a half hour as that was the only place showing availability. 

On Dec. 22, Bayonne had 222 positive cases, but I expect the next update will have a huge increase. The town where I work, which has a population of about 1/3 of Bayonne's, listed 293 cases as of Dec. 26th. 

I'm a librarian, and our library consortium has multiple closures due to staff shortages caused by Covid-19. My library is still open but we've reduced capacity and removed public computers.

My husband passed in October, 2019. I was a hermit before covid hit, and my daughter and I are very much looking forward to getting back to traveling. She started college in September after spending most of her junior year and all of her senior year online. We booked for her winter break so if it doesn't happen, I am not sure what we will do. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, baileymouse said:

Hi from northern NJ, Bayonne (Cape Liberty) to be precise.

It's very hard to get a test around here. Pharmacies that used to be wide open for testing have huge backlogs and delays. The City of Bayonne is testing people daily at the Ice Rink behind the high school, and two days a week at the museum. City MD cuts off their line at 11 AM. People line up at 6:00 AM to get a test. PCR tests are taking 5 days to turn around.

I am supposed to sail on Jan 10 so I booked rapid antigen tests on the 8th at CVS, but I will have to travel a half hour as that was the only place showing availability. 

On Dec. 22, Bayonne had 222 positive cases, but I expect the next update will have a huge increase. The town where I work, which has a population of about 1/3 of Bayonne's, listed 293 cases as of Dec. 26th. 

I'm a librarian, and our library consortium has multiple closures due to staff shortages caused by Covid-19. My library is still open but we've reduced capacity and removed public computers.

My husband passed in October, 2019. I was a hermit before covid hit, and my daughter and I are very much looking forward to getting back to traveling. She started college in September after spending most of her junior year and all of her senior year online. We booked for her winter break so if it doesn't happen, I am not sure what we will do. 

We purchased kit from royal. You can also reserve a spot at pier

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 1:58 PM, Cruise a holic said:

Just visited my family in richmond for a long thanksgiving visit . People are wearing masks in restaurants, airport, mall, etc.  With the newest strain of covid arriving here, we all must continue to be diligent.  My family members include 3 physicians and made sure we practiced covid protocols.  We are looking foward to our upcoming cruises and don’t want to get covid.  We have worked so hard thus far.  Don’t want to spoil it.  Be safe

I live in NoVa and most people here are masked. I'm a teacher and am used to wearing a mask 8-9 hours/day, so it doesn't phase. E at all. It has actually been really nice not getting germs from my little ones! (Knock on 🪵). I have been super cautious and am definitely looking forward to my Jan 22, 2022 cruise 🙏)

We just got our airline reservation cancelled.  While they did move us to another flight- between the news and our kids pressuring us- we have canceling our  Oasis back to back reservation for Sunday.  Sad, but we want to enjoy future cruises and remain covid free.  Sailing- hopefully- in March on Celebrity.  

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 4:30 PM, broadwaybaby123 said:

About half the people in my state are vaccinated.  Most of my family works in the healthcare field (including me), so I can tell you for sure, there's not many beds left in the hospitals.  I can count on one hand how many I know of that are available.  

As far as Christmas yesterday, this is the second year in a row I was not able to see my niece and nephew due to them not being vaccinated (although one is in the process).  We did, however get together with other fully vaccinated members of my family.  We had a blast, and my parents and I all got each other cruise related gifts for our *hopefully* upcoming cruise in Feb. aboard Anthem.  My Mom got Bocca clips from me to use on the lounge chairs (she's always wanted some but never got any), my Dad got Aviator Sunglasses from me as well as a 360-degree wheeled suitcase.  My mom and I each got Jabra wireless earbuds to use on the trip!  I also volunteer for Fitbit and was able to get my Mom (who's been asking for an upgrade) a Fitbit Sense (as an upgrade from her Versa 2).

And of course I got some games to use with my seniors, including "Left, Right, Center" (which came in a box of 6 other games), "The 25,000 Pyramid" game, "Christmas Charades" game, a movie trivia game, "Ladder Toss", and "The Wonder Years" on DVD. 

Hello from Nashua (also in healthcare)! Totally true about no beds being available; needed to open second ICU and exploring a 3rd. Ugh. We’re scheduled on a 4-day on January 10th on Indy… crossing fingers. We really want to go away, but have a back up plan just in case. Anthem was my favorite ship! We did a 5-night Bermuda from NJ prior to COVID. Hoping you get to go!

We live about 45 min north of Tampa, Florida and we've traveled all over the state visiting family, landmarks, parks and amusement parks since Covid started with my husband, 3 toddler kids and myself plus extended family-essentially continued to live our lives.  I got a Covid test in Nov 2020 and in Aug 2021 and my husband got a test done in Oct 2021 and all were negative.  We are both vaccinated but our kids are under 5 and therefore too young.  My 4 year old has been in his first year of school with VPK and after 4 months of in-person learning nothing but common colds.  Quite frankly I'm surprised we've never gotten it, and neither have any of my immediate family members (mom/dad/bro/sis/inlaws/stepparents/etc) who have also continued to live their lives-maybe not "like normal" but with as much semblance of normalcy as we can.

• Like 1

We just got off the New Year’s Eve cruise on Independence of the Seas out of Cape Canaveral Florida. We are triple vaccinated and live pretty normal lives. We had a great time and I can tell you the cruising experience is super safe.I am sure I put myself in much higher risk elsewhere. It was not crowded, clean and all rules were gently enforced and reinforced. No areas were congested, or crowded. You could not touch anything. The staff in the windjammer was 10 times what it used to be handing you coffee, water, food. I will cruise again soon! If I get Covid it will likely be from my daughter who is a teacher or elsewhere. I hope the cruise business can survive all this attention they are getting right now from the CDC. It felt so great to get back on a cruise ship. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kimboriffic said:

We just got off the New Year’s Eve cruise on Independence of the Seas out of Cape Canaveral Florida. We are triple vaccinated and live pretty normal lives. We had a great time and I can tell you the cruising experience is super safe.I am sure I put myself in much higher risk elsewhere. It was not crowded, clean and all rules were gently enforced and reinforced. No areas were congested, or crowded. You could not touch anything. The staff in the windjammer was 10 times what it used to be handing you coffee, water, food. I will cruise again soon! If I get Covid it will likely be from my daughter who is a teacher or elsewhere. I hope the cruise business can survive all this attention they are getting right now from the CDC. It felt so great to get back on a cruise ship. 

Great.  My nephew got off of a new years eve cruise on the ncl breakaway.  Not a good experience.  No shows, people unmasked and didn’t follow protocols.  Short staffed

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

Son fully vaccinated was with the entire family on Christmas day. Was feeling poorly so went the following day (Sunday) to Med 1st and was diagnosed with bronchitis .... but they did a covid test and he got a call several hours later that he was covid positive. We all took the necessary precautions but NOBODY (out of 12 people) got sick and ....... he got NO meds for covid. Only a prescription for steroids to help with the bronchitis.

Had a friend that spent Christmas in the hospital with covid but also bacterial pneumonia !!!  I'm beginning to think the flu and bronchitis and pneumonia are all included in the covid category !!!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Tuckster said:

I'm beginning to think the flu and bronchitis and pneumonia are all included in the covid category !!!

Covid and bronchitis can share similar symptoms. Covid can definitely lead to pneumonia. 

On 1/3/2022 at 11:00 PM, Kimboriffic said:

I can tell you the cruising experience is super safe.I am sure I put myself in much higher risk elsewhere.

Others have said this as well. Very possibly true but I know many people, like myself, feel less worried about getting really sick as they do the possibility of quarantine and other unforeseen issues. Time will tell I suppose. 

Can you go ashore at perfect day coco cay. We just sailed near the island and saw a ship do not know if it could let off passengers. I am on ncl, we cannot go ashore at great stirrup cay. Say new Bahamas restrictions. Will be sailing around. Bummer!

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2021 at 1:14 PM, Betsynh said:

Hello from Nashua (also in healthcare)! Totally true about no beds being available; needed to open second ICU and exploring a 3rd. Ugh. We’re scheduled on a 4-day on January 10th on Indy… crossing fingers. We really want to go away, but have a back up plan just in case. Anthem was my favorite ship! We did a 5-night Bermuda from NJ prior to COVID. Hoping you get to go!

Thank you for everything you do.  It's not easy, I don't know how folks in the hospital setting do it.  

We ended up canceling our Feb. cruise, so we're praying for April.  Still on Anthem, identical itinerary, but with an extra day, so I'm excited!

11 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Thank you for everything you do.  It's not easy, I don't know how folks in the hospital setting do it.  

We ended up canceling our Feb. cruise, so we're praying for April.  Still on Anthem, identical itinerary, but with an extra day, so I'm excited!

We canceled January Oasis b/2/b and are looking foward- maybe- to our March Reflection cruise.

We live in Edmonton an we are going on Ovation of the Seas in May for a Alaska cruise. Getting to the ship and on the ship with all the necessary vaccines and tests is NOT a problem BUT.... when we arrive and disembark in Seattle Washington will be tricky? Any Canadian that gets off the ship and intends on going back to Canada will need testing (not antigen tests) PCR testing etc... So the problem will be time? If a couple of thousand Canadians disembark and intend on going back to Canada that day everyone will be scrambling to get one of these tests. 

Here in Berks County, PA, there is some small drop in the daily covid numbers, so hopefully it's the beginning of a downward trend. Averaging about 1,000 new cases a day over the past several weeks. Our county population is about 420k. We're about 62% vaccinated - could be aLOT better.