Ships which are banned from Canadian ports before July 01

Canuker

Vessels carrying more than 500 people are banned from Canadian ports (all three coasts) until July 01, 2020.
Here is a listing of vessels that intended to offer Alaska cruises in 2020 and whose passengers plus crew exceeds 500.
Note 1. The list includes ships that turn around at USA ports, as the Jones Law does not seem to have been waived by the US government (advise if this changes, please).

Note 2. For completeness, the list includes some ferries though the ban, at present, does not extend to them; but it might at some point.

Note 3. The number of people quoted is the maximum complement on board; in practice it may be less (e.g. the ship is not sold out or the total is intentionally capped).

Note 4. The 42 ships listed represent about half of the all the vessels that serve the Alaska market; so there are also as many vessels which are not affected by the ban. In terms of passenger capacity, however, the list accounts for 94% of the market.

The list is sorted alphabetically by cruise line, for easy lookup of a specific vessel.

Operator                                                    Vessel                                                     Total

Alaska Marine Highway System (ferry) Kennicott, M/V 506
Alaska Marine Highway System (ferry) Columbia, M/V 562
BC Ferries (ferry) Northern Expedition, M/V 638
BC Ferries (ferry) Northern Adventure, M/V 640
Carnival Cruise Line Carnival Miracle 3,510
Carnival Cruise Line Carnival Spirit 3,510
Celebrity Cruises Celebrity Millennium 3,587
Celebrity Cruises Celebrity Solstice 4,670
Celebrity Cruises Celebrity Eclipse 4,691
Cunard Line Queen Elizabeth, M/S 3,508
Disney Cruise Line Disney Wonder 3,403
Holland America Line Maasdam, M/S 2,098
Holland America Line Volendam, M/S 2,365
Holland America Line Westerdam, M/S 3,179
Holland America Line Noordam, M/S 3,186
Holland America Line Oosterdam, M/S 3,246
Holland America Line Eurodam, M/S 3,454
Holland America Line Koningsdam, M/S 4,219
Hurtigruten Inc. Roald Amundsen, M/S 750
Norwegian Cruise Line Norwegian Sun 3,170
Norwegian Cruise Line Norwegian Jewel 3,935
Norwegian Cruise Line Norwegian Bliss 5,809
Norwegian Cruise Line Norwegian Joy 6,441
Oceania Cruises Insignia, M/S 1,175
Oceania Cruises Regatta, M/S 1,175
Princess Cruises Pacific Princess, M/S 1,177
Princess Cruises Coral Princess 3,295
Princess Cruises Sun Princess 3,343
Princess Cruises Star Princess 4,215
Princess Cruises Golden Princess 4,258
Princess Cruises Grand Princess 4,272
Princess Cruises Ruby Princess 4,872
Princess Cruises Emerald Princess 4,879
Princess Cruises Royal Princess, M/S 5,618
Regent Seven Seas Cruises Seven Seas Mariner 1,224
Royal Caribbean International Radiance of the Seas 3,404
Royal Caribbean International Serenade of the Seas 3,439
Royal Caribbean International Ovation of the Seas 6,119
Seabourn Cruises Seabourn Sojourn, M/V 870
Silversea Cruises Silver Cloud, M/S 519
Silversea Cruises Silver Muse, M/S 1,099
Viking Ocean Cruise Viking Orion, M/S

Edited by Canuker

20 hours ago, Donald said:

But you missed the smaller ships that can still sail in Alaska:

Windstar

Sea Dream

Crystal

Un-Cruise

American Cruise Lines

Emerald

Silversea

There are a lot more than this, Donald. Please see note 4 in my original post.
The smaller the vessel, the shorter the distance it can travel (i.e. lower speed). Many of these (over 50 of them) vessels that offer onboard overnight accommodation sail out of Alaskan ports and never reach Canadian ports.

Uncruise has cancelled their April/May cruises so will be sailing from Seattle to Alaska with no passengers but they still plan on doing their trips within Alaska.  With the Port of Seattle suspending cruises indefinitely there won’t be any ships departing with passengers from Seattle, at least from the two terminals.

Alaska hasn’t weighed in much in support of cancelling Alaska cruises although with the spread of coronavirus spreading rapidly there, including SE, they may put a halt to cruises temporarily as well.  Residents in smaller SE communities that don't depend much on cruise tourism are becoming vocal that they don't want cruise ships in Alaska at this time.

On 3/26/2020 at 11:01 AM, Donald said:

But you missed the smaller ships that can still sail in Alaska:

Not really.  All bets are off for ANY cruise ship heading to Alaska with calls scheduled in Victoria, BC to presumably satisfy PVSA requirements.  GVHA which controls the Victoria cruise port has banned cruise ships of ANY size from docking until July 1, 2020.

https://gvha.ca/cruise/cruise-schedule/current-season/

Could they take the ferry type vessels that have around 500 - 600 passengers, restrict them to 499 passengers and then use them to take people to Alaska.  Would not be a cruise ship but you would be able to get to really interesting ports.  I have done AK on the Alaska Marine Highway ships and they were a different but fun experience.

DON

• Like 1

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Could they take the ferry type vessels that have around 500 - 600 passengers, restrict them to 499 passengers and then use them to take people to Alaska.  Would not be a cruise ship but you would be able to get to really interesting ports.  I have done AK on the Alaska Marine Highway ships and they were a different but fun experience.

DON

Note 3 of the OP suggests that this won't be possible.

The Alaska Marine Hwy (ferry) is still taking reservations .  There are 2 ferries that leave from Bellingham WA and the first stop is Ketchikan; ends in Skagway.  I did this many yrs ago and it was a great experience.

I considered it as an option for my 3 month RV trip this summer, but it's just too expensive to take a 22ft motorhome on the ferry.  Plus my 2 dogs would be uncomfortable being cooped up in the RV except for their timed potty breaks which is the only time I can see them. So I've cancelled my trip. Too many things are up in the air  ..... border crossings, availability of state and provincial parks,  and will Denali be open past Milepost 42.  Spending a week in Denali to ride the bus every day was one of the things I was most looking forward to.  If this can't be the trip I want, I don't want to settle.  

I still say that people who had their heart set on visiting Alaska this yr, should fly into Anchorage, rent a car or RV, and explore on your own.  You'll see far more of Alaska than you would on a cruise.  For a sea adventure you can take a Kenai Fjords day cruise out of Seward or a Prince William Sound cruise out of Whittier.  OR, fly into Juneau and on to Gustavus to spend a few days at Glacier Bay. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

The Alaska Marine Hwy (ferry) is still taking reservations .  There are 2 ferries that leave from Bellingham WA and the first stop is Ketchikan; ends in Skagway.  I did this many yrs ago and it was a great experience.

I considered it as an option for my 3 month RV trip this summer, but it's just too expensive to take a 22ft motorhome on the ferry.  Plus my 2 dogs would be uncomfortable being cooped up in the RV except for their timed potty breaks which is the only time I can see them. So I've cancelled my trip. Too many things are up in the air  ..... border crossings, availability of state and provincial parks,  and will Denali be open past Milepost 42.  Spending a week in Denali to ride the bus every day was one of the things I was most looking forward to.  If this can't be the trip I want, I don't want to settle.  

I still say that people who had their heart set on visiting Alaska this yr, should fly into Anchorage, rent a car or RV, and explore on your own.  You'll see far more of Alaska than you would on a cruise.  For a sea adventure you can take a Kenai Fjords day cruise out of Seward or a Prince William Sound cruise out of Whittier.  OR, fly into Juneau and on to Gustavus to spend a few days at Glacier Bay. 

I did the Marine Highway from Haines to Prince Rupert w stops en route.  It is a a great way to travel.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1