Amateur Predictions of Regent's Updated Cruise Dates

mrlevin

According to Jackie, schedule update should be available by Monday; therefore, I think it might be fun for us to be amateur prognosticators with what we think Regent's new schedule might look like.  Mine is a bit optimistic:

Navigator - 15 June New York City to Reykjavik (may have to cancel the three Canadian ports)

Splendour - 16 June Barcelona to Monte Carlo (a nice cruise to start Med season although probably too early)

Explorer - 30 June Copenhagen to Stockholm (still think Explorer staying in Caribbean is a possibility)

Mariner - 1 July Vancouver to Seward (technically the 24 June cruise doesn't stop in Canada until 1 July so may be possible)

Voyager - 14 November Lisbon to Cape Town (doesn't make sense to have both Splendour and Voyager in Med this summer)

Just my two confederate sense,

Marc

Edited by mrlevin

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Navigator - 15 June New York City to Reykjavik (may have to cancel the three Canadian ports)

We are booked on this cruise all the way to Dublin.  We are also booked on the June 5 from Montreal to New York. Guessing the first will cancel, but the New York to Dublin, if it goes, wonder what the port situation will be like and the odds of getting back to the U.S. from Dublin. 

Sad times for sure. 

35 minutes ago, What A Market said:

It’s a sad state of affairs, but I don’t think your worry will be getting home from Dublin.

Why?

Zero chance Dublin (or any city for that matter) allowing a cruise ship originating from NYC to dock in its port.

Yeah,... I was thinking that very thing. Still waiting to see what happens, but expect to get my cancellation notice any day.😞

They won't cancel a June 15 cruise until a  few days before. ANd keep in mind, the faster people get sick, the faster this ends...with the downside being more people will die. But there will probably be a time that NYC is safer than other paces because it has burned through the people there. Anything thinking this won't ultimately infect everyone is dreaming...the hope is to push it back far enough that you can actually get some medical care.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

According to Jackie, schedule update should be available by Monday; therefore, I think it might be fun for us to be amateur prognosticators with what we think Regent's new schedule might look like.  Mine is a bit optimistic:

Splendour - 16 June Barcelona to Monte Carlo (a nice cruise to start Med season although probably too early)

Explorer - 30 June Copenhagen to Stockholm (still think Explorer staying in Caribbean is a possibility)

Mariner - 1 July Vancouver to Seward (technically the 24 June cruise doesn't stop in Canada until 1 July so may be possible)

Voyager - 14 November Lisbon to Cape Town (doesn't make sense to have both Splendour and Voyager in Med this summer)

Just my two confederate sense,

Marc

Very optimistic!!

Not on this planet.

Especially NY and Barcelona read THE CURRENT news

Assuming that whenever Regent proposes to restart the cruise calendar, their goal is to keep the same cruises beyond that point in time, they will need repositioning cruises to get the ships there.  They might dead-head to the restart locations or they may insert repositioning cruises in advance.  Given the need for cash, I'd bet on the repositioning cruises at a hefty discount.  Using Marc's speculation, for example if the first Explorer cruise is the 30 June cruise from Copenhagen to Stockholm, they'll have to transit from the Bahamas (or more likely Miami if they add this as a passenger carrying cruise) to Copenhagen.  Since port arrangements are made a long way out, these possible repositioning cruises will probably be non-stop...would truly be for those who like days at sea.

As posted on another thread - I'd say anyone expecting cruising to resume before September is being extremely optimistic in my view. 

You are starting to see rates of infection rising steeply in the USA, as in most of Western Europe. That won't peek for several more weeks yet - after that the impact will remain for months, until the rates fall below the current level. There is no prospect of a vaccine becoming available during that period. It is going to be impossible to safely visit huge swathes of the world fir a very lengthy period.  

The clues are there.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Interesting coincidence(?). Holland America was going to release more cancellations but decided to wait until Monday, March 30th.  This is the same day that Regent should be doing an announcement.  

I wouldn't be surprised if the "accounting" quarter ended Friday, 27 March; therefore, the cancellations, and the allocation of refunds would be a second quarter charge.  If that is the case, they might cancel more of the schedule this time.

Marc

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the "accounting" quarter ended Friday, 27 March; therefore, the cancellations, and the allocation of refunds would be a second quarter charge.  If that is the case, they might cancel more of the schedule this time.

Marc

Your post made sense until I realized that Monday is still the first quarter of 2020.  If they waited until Wednesday, it would be a second quarter change.  I have no idea why HAL and Regent will be announcing cancellations on Monday but that is what I was told (in writing).

15 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I understood that we (i.e., Canada) weren't allowing ships over 500 pax.  This would mean Navigator might slip by that restriction.  Too bad they couldn't deploy her in in Alaska if it's safe to do so by then.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I understood that we (i.e., Canada) weren't allowing ships over 500 pax.  This would mean Navigator might slip by that restriction.  Too bad they couldn't deploy her in in Alaska if it's safe to do so by then.

Wendy, unless the rule has changed recently, my understanding is that the limit of 500 people applies to the total number of passengers and crew on the ship. So the Navigator would not be allowed unless the number of passengers and crew was severely restricted.

Dave

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Your post made sense until I realized that Monday is still the first quarter of 2020.  If they waited until Wednesday, it would be a second quarter change.  I have no idea why HAL and Regent will be announcing cancellations on Monday but that is what I was told (in writing).

Jackie, even though Friday was the 27th, some companies always close the books on a Friday even though the 31st (or 30th) is on some other day.

Marc

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 9:58 AM, Pcardad said:

They won't cancel a June 15 cruise until a  few days before. ANd keep in mind, the faster people get sick, the faster this ends...with the downside being more people will die. But there will probably be a time that NYC is safer than other paces because it has burned through the people there. Anything thinking this won't ultimately infect everyone is dreaming...the hope is to push it back far enough that you can actually get some medical care.

You are suggesting that everyone in China will ultimately be infected?  Perhaps you are just having a nightmare, since the data suggests otherwise.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaveFr said:

Wendy, unless the rule has changed recently, my understanding is that the limit of 500 people applies to the total number of passengers and crew on the ship. So the Navigator would not be allowed unless the number of passengers and crew was severely restricted.

Dave

Dave, you're right, it says "carrying 500 people", not passengers.  Oh well.