what happens to the deposit if I cancel?

mailmama

I am so confused at the moment with all this canceling! Can someone help me? IF I cancel my Nov. 2020 cruise, what happens to my $900 deposit? Final payment isn't until Aug. 2020 so I am only out the deposit for now. Will I get the $900 if I cancel now? Or is it lost since it is the deposit. I know it is an nonrefundable deposit reservation. Does the deposit roll forward. Penalty? FCC?  So much going on with all these changes lately that I am confused!!  I hope to sail on the cruise but I need to be smart too!

With a non-refundable deposit if you cancel before final payment you will have a $100 pp administrative fee deducted from your $900 deposit.  The remaining $700 will be returned to you in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.

• Like 3

Why not wait to see if Celebrity is going to cancel your cruise?  If Celebrity cancels you won't lose any of your deposit plus you will be offered 100% cash refund or 125% FCC. Taxes and fees are not part of the FCC. Those will be credited back to your credit card if you decide to take the FCC. 

• Like 2

Like davekathy said, there is no point in doing anything before final payment.  The whole situation is just too fluid.  We are currently sitting on an Iceland/Ireland cruise in May to see if they cancel so we can have the option of a refund of FCC bonus.  Beyond that we are sitting on an Oct 3 sailing in Italy to see if it cancels before final payment.  No need to so anything now so sit back and wait. 

21 hours ago, jelayne said:

With a non-refundable deposit if you cancel before final payment you will have a $100 pp administrative fee deducted from your $900 deposit.  The remaining $700 will be returned to you in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.

Perhaps Celebrity changed their policy.

We recently cancelled a cruise for July 2020 that we booked on board this past December with a $200 NRD .

From what I was told by our TA and verified by Celebrity , they will issue a $ 200 FCC within the next 4-6 weeks.

Therefore, not losing the deposit. 

Let's see what happens.

Thanks for the info, Jelayne. We are not sure in the fluid moment what we are going to do but appreciate everyone's response and suggestions! Hubby is recovering from cancer treatment (which took us by surprise) so I don't want to compromise his health as this current cruise season looks. November is a bit down the road so it's a waiting game for sure!

3 minutes ago, oceanbill457 said:

I just received a $700 refund to my credit card not a FCC for my $900 deposit.

That's great (assuming it's what you wanted.) Was this for a cruise Celebrity cancelled? Or you cancelled?  TIA

On 4/1/2020 at 12:26 PM, Pinboy said:

Perhaps Celebrity changed their policy.

We recently cancelled a cruise for July 2020 that we booked on board this past December with a $200 NRD .

From what I was told by our TA and verified by Celebrity , they will issue a $ 200 FCC within the next 4-6 weeks.

Therefore, not losing the deposit. 

Let's see what happens.

They recently changed the 'ok to cancel' date to Sept 1st....I'm thinking if you cancel a cruise for July 2020 it should qualify for a total refund...or am I wrong in this?  My cruise is in Nov. 2020 so I can't cancel until/if they extend the Sept cancellation date to Nov without losing my deposit...at least that's what I understand the process to be.

2 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

They recently changed the 'ok to cancel' date to Sept 1st....I'm thinking if you cancel a cruise for July 2020 it should qualify for a total refund...or am I wrong in this?  My cruise is in Nov. 2020 so I can't cancel until/if they extend the Sept cancellation date to Nov without losing my deposit...at least that's what I understand the process to be.

We only had a $ 200 NRD on the cruise and Celebrity said that even though the deposit was Non Refundable they would provide a FCC for the $200.

1 minute ago, Pinboy said:

We only had a $ 200 NRD on the cruise and Celebrity said that even though the deposit was Non Refundable they would provide a FCC for the $200.

I understand.  My point was your cruise is in July and within the period you're allowed to cancel..$200 or $900...no difference...NRD or refundable.  Very gracious of them to do so.  My cruise is in Nov. which is beyond the allowable Sept. cruising date cancellation so I have to wait to see what they'll do with my deposit.  Most likely the same as yours, but things change often with this virus process.

Just now, oceangoer2 said:

I understand.  My point was your cruise is in July and within the period you're allowed to cancel..$200 or $900...no difference...NRD or refundable.  Very gracious of them to do so.  My cruise is in Nov. which is beyond the allowable Sept. cruising date cancellation so I have to wait to see what they'll do with my deposit.  Most likely the same as yours, but things change often with this virus process.

If you made a RD ,I assume you can get your deposit back anytime prior to final payment date.

If it was a NRD , perhaps you should wait and see if Celebrity extends the date ?

Otherwise, you will most likely lose your deposit.

Maybe better to call Celebrity or your TA .

Is Fleetwood 40 still operating in London ???

9 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

If you made a RD ,I assume you can get your deposit back anytime prior to final payment date.

If it was a NRD , perhaps you should wait and see if Celebrity extends the date ?

Maybe better to call Celebrity or your TA .

Is Fleetwood 40 still operating in London ???

Yes...this I know...I booked onboard last cruise as well with an NRD....I'd also have a $100 pp penalty....I've been in touch with my X rep;  just waiting to see if they'll move the date beyond Sept. 1st before I do anything, like cancel or move my cruise to next spring.  Not sure what you mean by Fleetwood 40....is that the car show...(googled it..lol).  http://www.fleetwoodcountrycruizein.com/cruise_nights/carshow.html

Edited by oceangoer2

Just now, oceangoer2 said:

Yes...this I know...I'd also have a $100 pp penalty....I've been in touch with my X rep;  just waiting to see if they'll move the date beyond Sept. 1st before I do anything, like cancel or move my cruise to next spring.  Not sure what you mean by Fleetwood 40....is that the car show...(googled it..lol).  http://www.fleetwoodcountrycruizein.com/cruise_nights/carshow.html

For my July cruise they waived the $100 per person penalty .

Fleetwood 40 is or was a recreational facility in London Ontario 

1 hour ago, oceanbill457 said:

I cancelled the cruise. I didn't want a $700 FCC which I might never use.

Thanks. I have cruise scheduled for late in they ear so it's good to know I might be able to get my deposit back.  I definitely prefer a refund to FCC.

I had planned a cruise next September. I ended up cancelling that on March 10th, and was told by Celebrity Cruises that I would get a refund in 10 days or so. Well, it's April 3rd and I still don't have my money. They keep saying it is "in process". Outrageous!

1 hour ago, rosadilla said:

I had planned a cruise next September. I ended up cancelling that on March 10th, and was told by Celebrity Cruises that I would get a refund in 10 days or so. Well, it's April 3rd and I still don't have my money. They keep saying it is "in process". Outrageous!

I would say slow, but when you look at the situation it unlike anything before and “outrageous” is a stretch. 

The first group of cancelled cruises numbered around 50 sailings.  Using a low estimate of 1,400 passengers per sailing that would be 70,000 passengers for which refunds of port fee,  taxes, excursions, dining packages, and other purchases must be refunded.  These are all individual transactions.  Then there are FCC for cruise fare for some, cash refunds for others and for some both a cash refund and a FCC.   Of course there are the passengers like you that cancelled before final payment who also have refund for deposits and purchases that need to be processed. 

I know many companies are having to limit the staff that can work in the office, particularly those businesses that are not deemed essential.  I doubt that cruise lines are considered essential.  I don’t know what impact the city, county or state  mandates may be having on the staffing at Celebrity.  But in these unusual times patience and a smile are better than stressing when others are doing there best given the circumstances.  

The choice one must make about a cruise outside of final payment is whether you are happier with a future cruise credit after you have given them the full amount payable.  Losing $200 now may be a better bargain than waiting months to get a FCC once they have all your money.

We will have to make the same decision later on this year.  We are booked for a back to back on Summit through the canal.  The longer that we have to wait for a cash refund promised March 7th, a canceled cruise march 15 th and 27th, the less likely I we will pay the full fare.

• 1 month later...

DaveKathy - Hi from Canada - I thought I read a recent post that you wrote that you received a refund recently for an upcoming cruise f(it was or a non-refundable deposit)? Am I remembering that correctly? We are scheduled to sail Infinity Sept 9 this year out of Lisbon and our final payment date is June 1 - we requested a cxlation from our TA and they said "nope" all the offers Celebrity has that is not one of them. If that was you that mentioned that about this kind of refund, what magical touch do you have or convincing kind words you used to receive that refund? 🙂 We do not want to reschedule for a future cruise. Thanks in advance for any help/perspective.

On 3/31/2020 at 1:17 PM, davekathy said:

Why not wait to see if Celebrity is going to cancel your cruise?  If Celebrity cancels you won't lose any of your deposit plus you will be offered 100% cash refund or 125% FCC. Taxes and fees are not part of the FCC. Those will be credited back to your credit card if you decide to take the FCC. 

DaveKathy - Hi from Canada - I thought I read a recent post that you wrote that you received a refund recently for an upcoming cruise f(it was or a non-refundable deposit)? Am I remembering that correctly? We are scheduled to sail Infinity Sept 9 this year out of Lisbon and our final payment date is June 1 - we requested a cxlation from our TA and they said "nope" all the offers Celebrity has that is not one of them. If that was you that mentioned that about this kind of refund, what magical touch do you have or convincing kind words you used to receive that refund? 🙂 We do not want to reschedule for a future cruise. Thanks in advance for any help/perspective.

If you cancel a NRD reservation prior to final payment your only option is FCC.  I believe with CWC they are waiving the $100 pp admin fee so I think you can expect a FCC for the full amount.  No cash refund.  That's what you signed up for when accepting a NRD.

12 hours ago, art4u said:

When Celebrity cancelled our B2B cruise ( 28 March and 4 April) on 13 March I requested the cash refund option thru my TA. Both cruises were made with non refundable deposits. Celebrity and my TA told me the non refundable deposits would also be refunded. I've been getting cash refunds for our B2B Summit cruise that Celebrity cancelled but not all at once. First credit back to my credit card was on 28 April. Second credit was made to my credit card on 4 May. In weird amounts. Celebrity/RC still owes me additional dollars, so maybe this coming week!:?   I was under the impression/assumption (:classic_rolleyes:) the full amounts would be refunded back to my credit card at the same time.

We also have another cruise booked for September with final payment due in June. I will let Celebrity decide for us if we are going or not. I'll pay the final payment when due if Celebrity doesn't cancel the cruise before the final payment date. That cruise was also booked with a non refundable deposit. 

Thanks for the quick reply - I think the difference is that I see is that Celebrity cxld your cruise - so it appears perhaps that when that happens one would receive a refund for a NRDeposit VS us wanting to cxl - we will wait to May 31 as our full payment is due June 1 - our TA says for sure CC won't refund our NRD at this time - would love it if you would keep us posted re: your Sept cruise and final payment due in June. Cheers 

28 minutes ago, art4u said:

Thanks for the quick reply - I think the difference is that I see is that Celebrity cxld your cruise - so it appears perhaps that when that happens one would receive a refund for a NRDeposit VS us wanting to cxl - we will wait to May 31 as our full payment is due June 1 - our TA says for sure CC won't refund our NRD at this time - would love it if you would keep us posted re: your Sept cruise and final payment due in June. Cheers 

I will. The cruise is out of Vancouver BC and final payment is due to the TA 13 June. I'll let BC and Celebrity collectively decide if we are going or not. I'm sure I'll be paying final payment before a decision is made by Celebrity if the cruise is a go or a no go.