Many available cabins?

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

If Regent cancels our cruise, we should get refunds, not FCCs.  I too worry about what we would do with a mammoth FCC (which we would have after July 9th, which is final payment day.)  But if Regent does the cancelling, we should get our money back, right?

Yes, the 2022 itin. looks great, except perhaps for the cold weather up around Siberia, but I would do it in a minute of things were otherwise (our age, Regent's possible new draconian requirements for health, the loss of value of our stock portfolio, risk of virus recurring.)  Japan would be a huge bonus for us.

We are in generally the same boat. Although are health is good, we are over 70.  I don't  know what our doctors would sign.  Our stock portfolio has taken a major hit, but at the moment DH has assured me we have enough in cash that we could go all things being equal.  We are contemplating cancelling then rebooking the 2021 if they push us too hard on the final payment date and there are enough open suites that we can take the risk to hold out until September.  Then again, maybe not.  

24 minutes ago, wristband said:

I may not have been clear Wendy.  My concern if WE cancel before July 9th.  That's a personal decision - not NCL.

Your invoice page 2 has the "Guest Cancellation Schedule" when a pax cancels. See "terms & conditions" on the rssc site (specifically referred to on p. 2).

My point: our cruise contract is silent on the form a deposit refund will take if a passenger cancels. 

I infer a refund will be in the form of FCCs - or cash - based solely on what NCL decides in July.

Sorry Ben, I didn't recognize you from our roll-call list.  Yes, I have the guest cancellation schedule, I was looking for something about what happens if the cruiseline cancels the cruise.

I will have to read the whole damned thing again but I would be shocked if we didn't get our deposit refunded in full before July 9th.  But I could be wrong.

I guess we can discuss the specifics on our roll-call.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

17 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

While none of us know what path the virus will take, I'm looking at its short history.  China has gone back to work.

I don't think we know that.  China has not been at all forthcoming with the facts of what is happening there.  It is my understanding (opinion, since none of us really know what is happening in China) that SOME of China is starting to go back to work, not certainly not all of China.  And that their schools are still closed.  Despite what China says, I would feel much less safe traveling there right now than in our own USA hot spots.

• Like 2

And there was a news report yeterday that China has ordered everyone to stay home in an adjoining county since there was evidence of COVID-19. Washington state and California are also seeing growing cases and New York City and other parts of the country are exploding with new cases. Sadly, this thing has a long ways to go before it's over. Wimbledon (July) and the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh (August) have already been cancelled. There are 2 more open cabins on the September 2020 British Isle cruise as my friend and I have cancelled that cruise yesterday. We are very disappointed but taking the cautious approach.

• Like 1

I think the seasonal speculation about this virus gets complicated as it pertains to the cruise industry. Our January 2021 cruise originates in Cape Town and ends in Rio. I believe January is summer season in Cape Town and Winter in Rio. 
I’ve decided to worry about things other than my cruise issues. Kind of like Scarlet in “Gone With The Wind”; “I’ll worry about that tomorrow “.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, blacksmith said:

I think the seasonal speculation about this virus gets complicated as it pertains to the cruise industry. Our January 2021 cruise originates in Cape Town and ends in Rio. I believe January is summer season in Cape Town and Winter in Rio. 
I’ve decided to worry about things other than my cruise issues. Kind of like Scarlet in “Gone With The Wind”; “I’ll worry about that tomorrow “.

CORRECTION

Its Summer in both Rio and Cape Town in January 2021

Well it appears there is still enthusiasm for cruising. UBS analysts report an increase of 9% against last year for 2021 bookings. Off course this is partially offset by the number of transfer bookings from FCC.

Unfortunatley it doesn’t provide a breakdown to show FCC transfers against new business.

7 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I don't think we know that.  China has not been at all forthcoming with the facts of what is happening there.  It is my understanding (opinion, since none of us really know what is happening in China) that SOME of China is starting to go back to work, not certainly not all of China.  And that their schools are still closed.  Despite what China says, I would feel much less safe traveling there right now than in our own USA hot spots.

Of course you are right.  We do not know if what we are hearing from China is true or not.  I have received communication from three Chinese companies that are finally shipping items that we ordered a couple of months ago (but still have received nothing other than tracking numbers that do not seem to be working).  

There are still some places that I would feel fairly safe.  The cancelled March 14th cruise was leaving from San Diego, going to Mexico, Costa Rica and another place or two before transiting the Panama Canal - then going to Cartagena one island in the Caribbean and finally to Miami.  The only stop I would have been concerned about is Miami as Miami seems to be one of the last states to our precautions in place.

In any case once our May cruise is cancelled, we have nothing booked until November (and are crossing our fingers for that one).

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2020 at 6:46 AM, John182 said:

It strikes me that the whole cruise booking process is going to change to one where you have to be nimble enough to jump in quickly to make a booking as conditions quickly change. There are just too many unknowns with this virus. Everybody is focussed on the magical flattening of the curve for the current outbreak but that point is just to protect health services around the world and reduce the short term mortalities. What happens after that? The virus is still present. Not enough people will have been infected to produce the much hoped for herd immunity so there will be further outbreaks that will have to be controlled by social distancing and lockdowns in all likelihood.

Which countries are going to allow cruise ships to dock this year? I suspect very few if any. And what will be the triggers for them to do so in the future? I have not hear any port announcing what it will take for them to re-open.

And then there is the virus itself. It will mutate as all viruses do to survive. That may require vaccines to change year on year much as they do for influenza depending upon the degree of mutation. We can hope that the hotter weather brings some relief but that is just a hope at this point. Data from the Southern Hemisphere where the outbreak has been at the tail end of their Summer may gives us some hope but it is too early to tell yet.

I for one am assuming that my holidays will be in the UK this year. Hopefully that will be travelling in my country rather than another tour around my back garden (yard)! My overarching impression is that we have a longer haul in front of us than many will have us believe. I would be delighted if I am wrong.

But when they do lift the barriers I'm outta here.

I have been following all threads related to coronavirus.  The most surprising thing that I've noticed is the views of people living in the U.S. vs. the U.K.  Many of us in the U.S. seem to feel that the virus will subside sooner rather than later.  Their "stay at home" rules are short (2 - 4 weeks) while, if what I have read is true, the U.K. will stay at home for 12 weeks.  There is no right or wrong here - just different perceptions.  On the other hand, it could be the news that we are reading in the United States vs. what people in the United Kingdom are reading.

Having said that, we fully expect to be onboard Explorer in November and will celebrate the holidays as normal.  We will try to book a cruise in January 2021 after we cancel our May 12th cruise.  

On 4/1/2020 at 8:27 AM, Travelcat2 said:

I am just thinking about the predictions that the virus could return annually.  If this were the case, it appeared in December, 2019 and is still active.  

While none of us know what path the virus will take, I'm looking at its short history.  China has gone back to work.  Washington state (where we live) had the first case and first death from coronavirus in the U.S..  Yesterday, the states of Washington and California were complimented by the government for the steps taken to slow the spread of the virus.  Despite some really stupid moves by a few people (specifically the choral group of 60 that practiced together resulting in almost all of them getting the virus and 2 dying), the cases in some parts of Washington state have leveled off.  I can almost see the end of the virus in this state.  So, there is a possible end in sight (fingers crossed).

Obviously, if it is proven that this will not return annually, the cruises next year will be fine.  If they find a cure or preventative measure, it will be a game changer.  

My son is doing trauma management in Washington.  He says he isn't worried and Washington is all good.  He is real near you.  Washington State flew him there to coordinate the management with healthcare and first responders.

I am not too worried about this virus.  I feel that they have the pedal to the metal and that we will have a vaccine towards the end of next year, and maybe even by the beginning of the year.  The restrictions on FDA have been lifted.  No one wants to see more loss of life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

The most surprising thing that I've noticed is the views of people living in the U.S. vs. the U.K.  Many of us in the U.S. seem to feel that the virus will subside sooner rather than later.  Their "stay at home" rules are short (2 - 4 weeks) while, if what I have read is true, the U.K. will stay at home for 12 weeks.  There is no right or wrong here - just different perceptions.

I truly hope you're right and that it is just perception.  But I rather think we will find one opinion right, and one wrong. But we won't know which except in hindsight.  For myself, sitting up in Canada, 2-4 weeks seems far too short.

I didn't feel that May would work so we have asked our TA to cancel and book a cruise for late January 2021. This is a popular itinerary and I suspect that, until recently, it was fully booked.  Fortunately I found one available suite that we wanted. Crossing my fingers that it works.

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I didn't feel that May would work so we have asked our TA to cancel and book a cruise for late January 2021. This is a popular itinerary and I suspect that, until recently, it was fully booked.  Fortunately I found one available suite that we wanted. Crossing my fingers that it works.

Jackie, I think you're right that May probably wont work. Is the January cruise a Caribbean cruise?

2 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

Jackie, I think you're right that May probably wont work. Is the January cruise a Caribbean cruise?

No, it is Auckland to Sydney - a cruise that we find too expensive.  We have been to both places on land trips but want to do a cruise that includes New Zealand. So, with the FCC's it is somewhat affordable. 

17 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

No, it is Auckland to Sydney - a cruise that we find too expensive.  We have been to both places on land trips but want to do a cruise that includes New Zealand. So, with the FCC's it is somewhat affordable. 

Certainly better than a Caribbean cruise though! Wish we could join you, but, like you say , a bit too $$$

10 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I have been following all threads related to coronavirus.  The most surprising thing that I've noticed is the views of people living in the U.S. vs. the U.K.  Many of us in the U.S. seem to feel that the virus will subside sooner rather than later.  Their "stay at home" rules are short (2 - 4 weeks) while, if what I have read is true, the U.K. will stay at home for 12 weeks.  There is no right or wrong here - just different perceptions.  On the other hand, it could be the news that we are reading in the United States vs. what people in the United Kingdom are reading.

Having said that, we fully expect to be onboard Explorer in November and will celebrate the holidays as normal.  We will try to book a cruise in January 2021 after we cancel our May 12th cruise.  

Totally true. Europe is looking at this differently to the US. We have a much more robust press which is National and impartial , take Fox in USA it's almost Presidential propaganda, your impartials like the  Washington Post, NY times are only in a small part of the US. There is also not the competition between Federal and State Gov't.

The BBC News is also holding the Government to account,

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Totally true. Europe is looking at this differently to the US. We have a much more robust press which is National and impartial , take Fox in USA it's almost Presidential propaganda, your impartials like the  Washington Post, NY times are only in a small part of the US. There is also not the competition between Federal and State Gov't.

The BBC News is also holding the Government to account,

40 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Wow, impartial Washington Post and NY Times. OMG

Could we maybe take the politics out of this, please, before the thread gets locked?  Thanks.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

Pappy1022, not sure why you would remove you post,  it is absolutely correct.  Berkshire's comments would be laughable if they weren't so absurd.

Agreed.  Berkshire's comments should be removed.  Leave politics out of this discussion.

• Like 2

Caroldoll's hope to have a vaccine before year end...I truly hope that proves to be so.

But I am skeptical.

There is no vaccine for HIV, SARS, MERV etc despite years of effort.  Hoping for an approved cure for COVID-19 within the next 9 months is awfully optimistic.  I hope that optimism rules the day for all of us!