How did Princess and other cruise lines become the only ones at fault?

gottagocit

After posting a comment In a thread on this board where someone was beating up cruise lines for not reacting faster at the start of this crisis it occurred to me that I should put this into its on thread to allow more to see and respond to it. 

Some feel the cruise lines should have done many things including shut down operations immediately upon the outbreak. Many feel they should be responsible or even liable for exposure of some while onboard. A few are even suing them as we all know. Why do most not feel that way about airlines, subways, commuter trains, commuter bus systems, school buses, ski lifts, shopping centers, elevators, jail, tour buses, museums, sporting events or concerts? Shouldn’t they all have been shut down on day one also? 

Anyone who describes a cruise ship as a Petri dish but doesn’t see these examples in the same way is either not being honest OR doesn’t see the reality of life in this world. I’ve been packed in far tighter and far closer to masses of people while in these places from Beijing to Rome and countless cities around the globe than I have ever been on a cruise ship. 

The difference is the cruise lines are easy targets. Those onboard are often discovered to be infected PRIOR to leaving the ship and returning home and therefore the cruise line becomes totally at fault and entirely financially responsible even if the passenger was infected prior to boarding. All of these other places cause many thousands times people to become sick but they all go undetected while on/in the place where they contracted it but everyone in these places simply leave and the carrier or venue bares no responsibility. 

Just something to consider the next time you hear someone bash Princess or another crushes line.

Edited by gottagocit
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

I believe the cruise lines make an easy target, unlike the others you mention, and there are many more - think of 50k to 100k people jammed into a stadium for a football game.  However, a cruise ship packs the same people together in pretty close quarters for days, maybe weeks, even months!  That is the biggest difference I see.

We still know very little about this virus, like how long you can pass the virus on before you know you are sick, how long the virus stays active on various surfaces, how long or even if the virus leaves some immunity to those exposed. (Just a few big questions and there are any more.)

At this point I am not in a position to lay blame to any ship's captain, crew, or cruise line; they have been forced to react to very unusual circumstances.  Just look at the dis-coordinated actions of the various national, state, county, and city governments as efforts are taken differently to solve this problem.  

For a perspective, you might want to reread histories of the black plague, the Spanish flu, SARS, MERS, HIV, etc. 

4 hours ago, gottagocit said:

Just something to consider the next time you hear someone bash Princess or another crushes line.

Princess knowingly violated federal law today 3/31 with Crown Princess at Port Everglades.  Something for your consideration

18 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Princess knowingly violated federal law today 3/31 with Crown Princess at Port Everglades.  Something for your consideration

As I read the Miami newspaper report I noticed a ship is not required to report sick passengers to port authority official but rather it is required by law to report it to the CDC. I have no idea whether that is true now but I was aware that in the past it was the case when they dealt with norovirus so it seems official it would still be the case. I haven’t seen any reports about the CDC not being notified only that they didn’t report it to the port authorities. Just saying...

Edited by gottagocit

29 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Just now, c-boy said:

there's gonna be a lot of people that respond to this because they stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

Explain. Crown Princess is not due in till Saturday, unless something has changed. 

The report that I saw stated that it was a crew member, not a passenger.

How could the Crown be due on Saturday when Princess suspended operations several weeks ago?

(the Crown was definitely tied to a dock in the report I saw, tho location of the dock wasn't clear).

Honestly, we should blame soccer.  Or Football, whatever you choose to call it.  The vast European spread started at a soccer game between a team from Italy and a team from Spain.  Then many Italians took it to Colorado so they could go skiing.  Then many rich Mexicans also decided to go skiing.  Placing blame in one area is idiotic when we live in a world that is totally connected.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, thinfool said:

The report that I saw stated that it was a crew member, not a passenger.

How could the Crown be due on Saturday when Princess suspended operations several weeks ago?

(the Crown was definitely tied to a dock in the report I saw, tho location of the dock wasn't clear).

It has been trying to port in many places and no one will let them in except for resupplying which is probably what you saw.  

The only two Princess ships still sailing are the Coral and the Pacific.  You can check the princess website to confirm that.  Crown is at Port Everglades and has been since March 16.  Coral is headed to Port Everglades, while Pacific is headed to Los angeles.

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

What law? What egregious error have they committed?  

Please provide a reference to your comment, rather than just a unverifiable , vacuous statement.  

To the original question, "How did Princess and other cruise lines become the only ones at fault?"

It is the Law of Deep Pockets. This law states, "Never sue anyone that cannot afford the 40% pre-expense legal fees." Or whatever the going rate is now days.

There is also a psychiatric condition that may be at play in the desire to blame the cruise lines. In psycho-babelistic syndrome, which is also the Law of the King Baby: I want what I want, and I want it NOW! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaKa2002 said:

I believe the cruise lines make an easy target, unlike the others you mention, and there are many more - think of 50k to 100k people jammed into a stadium for a football game.  However, a cruise ship packs the same people together in pretty close quarters for days, maybe weeks, even months! 

Unfortunately, it does not take being together on a cruise ship for a number of days for the virus to spread.

Just two other current examples of one day events:

17 people who contracted the virus after attending a funeral

https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/family-of-17-reportedly-gets-coronavirus-after-attending-funeral/

Dozens infected after attending a church choir rehearsal

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Dozens-of-choir-members-sickened-by-coronavirus-2-dead-after-early-March-rehearsal--569251721.html

So if a cruise ship is to be considered a petri dish, so should houses of worship, funeral services, movie theaters, etc.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, caribill said:

So if a cruise ship is to be considered a petri dish, so should houses of worship, funeral services, movie theaters, etc.

Exactly my point. 1000’s time more people have become infected outside of the ships and yet since those walk away and are later diagnosed (and likely infect others) but it’s the ships who get bashed as being so ill prepared and negligent. And yet they are the only ones who assume financial responsibility and are taking the brunt of the bad PR etc.

All I’m trying to do it to point out that cruise lines should be among the least of our concerns (or at least no worse than many others areas of our lives before this began) when considering what contributed to our situation at the moment. As I said they’re simply an easy target and are getting a bad rap. 

17 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

This is the thread LMaxwell started on this topic. Easier to follow there rather than trying to transport it here.