Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

6 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I'll agree with one of your three reason. No need for Wi-Fi.

I can't agree with the other two reasons and especially your last reason. 😉

That's perfectly OK.

Don't forget that we live in a very hot country, so drinking alcohol is less needed. Mostly, the immigrants from Russia drink alcohol.

We agree to disagree 😉

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wow...I should have such a temperament. I cannot resist a milkshake. 

41 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Same here, chocolate for me, pls.😁

Same for me. On both counts.

I don't hate ice cream, I just have no desire for it. Ever.  If someone puts an ice cream cone in my hand or a cup of soft serve, I'll eat it....I might even enjoy it....but then, that's it. Done. Until the next time someone hands me ice cream. I won''t go looking for it, especially if there is a long line of people at the ice cream stand.

Now, shakes on the other hand. Yum! especially chocolate.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

but no photographer hounded us ever 😦

Wow are you lucky. I'll never forget on the one cruise I was simply on the way up to the windjammer later at night to grab a snack, and a photographer asked if I wanted my picture taken. I was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. I mean...really? I sort of chuckled and walked on. DW and I are really tired of photographers always pestering to take a picture in and around the ship on formal nights (or even other days). 

Retired -- no need for constant contact with the "outside" world.

Don't agree from the standpoint of sometimes looking up things relative to the itinerary or excursions using wifi -  not for calling family (or whomever)  or checking email. As you said, with being retired no need for some of that. 

I don't drink, and DH will enjoy, mostly in social circumstances, a sole glass of wine, or a beer, per day.

Edited by OnTheJourney

I'm not a drinker either (save for an occasional beer on a hot summer day while working outside) and an even less frequent glass of wine if we have an old bottle around the house that we feel we really should use up...but....when on a river cruise or similar I do enjoy the glass of wine with dinner every night. I never do it when we go out to local restaurants. 

As you say, the cost of these things is already built in and so I see the point that...if you don't use some of the amenities, you're paying for them regardless. A friend of mine has mentioned this several times, since he doesn't drink at all. 

I just found the smaller ship to be a nice change and surely didn't miss kids being onboard. Lots of little nooks to just sit and read a book and enjoy the outside views. No big production shows either, which was sort of a  neat change. Eat whenever you want - no need to reserve any times. No pressure to buy anything ala the insane "jewelry by the foot" or "2 t-shirts for $10" sales, etc. Some of that stuff is fun in its own way, but after a number of cruises it gets old - and DW and I surely don't need any more formal portraits, most of which get recycled in the ship's photo gallery anyway!!  

It's funny how people conceive of Viking as a "luxury" line being that the ship itself is far from it. No fancy centrums like on RCL. Very simple, unassuming or unpretentious Scandinavian design. I think the 'luxury' moniker probably comes moreso from the included amenities, or else simply because of the price. Being that our first cruise with them ended the way it did,  I was also impressed at the degree of compensation they gave us - not just all the  money back from the cruise that never finished, but also a voucher towards another cruise (equal to the value of the one we already did) AND a complimentary inaugural sailing on a new ship (which unfortunately didn't happen due to covid). Essentially 3 free cruises. Not sure one of the bigger lines would be quite so generous. 

All the above being said, we will still continue to sail with RCL and X due to the convenience of the local ports. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I have already started my detailed planning for the next cruise in January on Oasis.  Susan told me she needs to plan for Thanksgiving before she starts to think about the next cruise.

Then, in the next sentence, she says we should plan for a cruise in March.  I see a few Celebrity sailings that appeal to me, so my research has started. 😁😁

My next cruise planning has been sooooo frustrating.  Every time we get close to deciding, something comes up or certain times get restricted.  When we got back October I started to plan one before the end of the year and one for the first of next year.  Around holidays were quickly ruled out.  Then my oldest daughter knew we were looking so she knew she better let us know what they got us for Christmas.  They are taking us out to eat and then to an A J Croce concert.  It’s December 9.  We had planned to have Sharon’s mom come stay for a couple weeks.  She had to put It off a couple weeks then we thought to go there but last week her mom and sister caught covid which they are recovering fine now. So I have pretty much given up on another this year. 
I was really liking the 11 day Anthem cruises and was about to pull the trigger but our cruise friends want to cruise to and can not leave work that long.  Later I found a couple cruises around January 9 and then found out they were already signed up to run at Disney. That’s ok with me but I am worn out trying to figure it out so I am somewhat giving it a break for awhile.  I still have to peak every so often.

Wow, after texting the above CC glitched and knocked me out.  Luckily it was still there after I clicked back in the box!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Other than a first cruise on Disney, we've been all Royal.  Lately, I'm becoming more and more intrigued by Celebrity, especially their newer ships.  Transferring to Elite status is a nice bonus.  I think I'll do some research as well.  Doesn't hurt to look, right?

Sounds like us.  Our first was Princess and have been on Disney and liked them both.  Our first RC was Majesty.  Liked it ok but once we started moving up to larger RC ships it’s become our go to cruise line.

I would like to try Celebrity but don’t know enough about the ships.  The elite status might be a bonus but right now they are doing what almost looks like an all inclusive thing.  I have always looked at all inclusive as paying more for a cruise for things I don’t care about.   When looking at Celebrity in the past, the overseas itineraries is what was tempting me. I need to research Celebrity more.  Right now, with things still being canceled and changed, I am looking for good food and a nice ship.  Itineraries are so iffy right now I include Coco Cay and the rest is just a hope they don’t get changed thing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

It is, and it was painless.

A much appreciated perk is breakfast for Elite only in the Italian restaurant.

That sounds good. I think I would enjoy that perk.  The Elite perks are something I need to get familiar with.  Do they also have balcony discounts?

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wow...I should have such a temperament. I cannot resist a milkshake. 

I make a milkshake almost every night.  Last night we were low on milk so I made a coke float.  There is a local coffee shop that makes the best milkshakes using Ghirardelli chocolate.  Soooo good.

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Same here, chocolate for me, pls.😁

My favorite is chocolate too but I prefer it made with vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup.

When I was young I frequently visited a local shop that used to make a special milkshake for me.  I would order a strawberry and banana milkshake mix together.  After awhile others started trying it.  It became a menu item and they called it a strawbana milkshake. 😋 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Do they also have balcony discounts?

No, they have a "free category upgrade" instead, though not on your 1st cruise on Celebrity.

Starting with your second, if, for example, you book a E3 category, you'll pay the rate of the lesser one, E4. It ranges between 70$-100$. You have to ask for it when booking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

That sounds good. I think I would enjoy that perk.  The Elite perks are something I need to get familiar with.  Do they also have balcony discounts?

Along with what Dani mentioned, there is free laundry, one bag per elite member per cruise, Elite happy hour or coupons loaded to your card, wine tasting, 10% discount at the spa, and other things.

No balcony discounts, but different # of points for booking balcony, Concierge, Aqua, Suites. I love Celebrity. We started with Royal and then went to Celebrity. I do prefer Celebrity. It is just different.

Some of us here are on the Anthem in January. 9, 20,  and other dates. I promise you if your friends cannot cruise we will not be bad company 😁.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

My favorite is chocolate too but I prefer it made with vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup.

I've found the ones made with chocolate syrup "heavy".

I'm only using a cream based chocolate ice cream, and add a bit of soda water to the mix.

It makes it much more "fluffy" and... less fattening 😁

Speaking of Celebrity ships --I've been on Xpedition (Galapagos, top notch experience from start to end), Millennium and Solstice class. Excellent both.

Next, Covid willing, our cruise on the newest Edge class, Edge [Edge, Apex and Beyond next April].

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

You will feel better soon.  When do you get to go home?  I am wishing you real food soon!

Hopefully I go home Saturday. My daughter what I’ll want to eat. 
I told her shrimp egg foo young. My favorite comfort food. 

• Like 14

52 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Sounds like us.  Our first was Princess and have been on Disney and liked them both.  Our first RC was Majesty.  Liked it ok but once we started moving up to larger RC ships it’s become our go to cruise line.

I would like to try Celebrity but don’t know enough about the ships.  The elite status might be a bonus but right now they are doing what almost looks like an all inclusive thing.  I have always looked at all inclusive as paying more for a cruise for things I don’t care about.   When looking at Celebrity in the past, the overseas itineraries is what was tempting me. I need to research Celebrity more.  Right now, with things still being canceled and changed, I am looking for good food and a nice ship.  Itineraries are so iffy right now I include Coco Cay and the rest is just a hope they don’t get changed thing.

Food better on Celebrity if that is your thing

• Like 5

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

OH...forgot to mention...no formal nights on Viking. Those are just a means for the cruise line to make $$ with pictures. Thankfully it has gotten much more relaxed over the years. 

Now that tempts me to start looking at Viking.  Never really even looked.  When on Symphony last month, we ate at mostly specialty dinners.  I wore nice jeans and a dress shirt. I noticed it was mixed.  A few were really dressed up. That is one thing that has slowed me down on Celebrity.  Not sure if it is just the way they advertise but it looks like every meal is a dress up meal.  Nothing against people dressing up, just not a thing for me.  We are invited to a wedding this weekend.  The invitation stressed it was a wear blue jeans wedding.

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Food better on Celebrity if that is your thing

I only did one celebrity cruise that we had meals in mdr ( that was before they had Luminae) did not care at all for food or service,but that was ten years ago. I also drink like a fish so I need drink package or suite lounge . Must have wi-fi to keep up with this thread .

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

I wondered if you were near there from your photos. And as I just confirmed, Hale Koa is the military service hotel. Our friend's condo overlooked their beautiful property last time we were there. Your view looked familiar. We stay down at the Ilima, which is an old cruddy hotel, with huge rooms and full kitchens, very close to Waikiki beach. :classic_biggrin:

It does seem ike a very nice hotel on a beautiful property.  We haven’t looked inside but would like to take a peek next time.  My husband really liked the Hawaii Army Museum there when he visited it.  There’s also Fort Debussy Beach Park next to it, too.

714542E5-C4AA-4F74-8066-4F8F31EE2892.thumb.jpeg.b126ae7c603c85065da02cbcd0a8c9fc.jpeg

Our hotel was The Grand Islander by Hilton Grand Vacations which is right next door about a few yards from Hale Koa.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Same for me. On both counts.

I don't hate ice cream, I just have no desire for it. Ever.  If someone puts an ice cream cone in my hand or a cup of soft serve, I'll eat it....I might even enjoy it....but then, that's it. Done. Until the next time someone hands me ice cream. I won''t go looking for it, especially if there is a long line of people at the ice cream stand.

Now, shakes on the other hand. Yum! especially chocolate.

I have to confess that when I board a ship one of the first things I head to is the ice cream machine.  Wasn’t as fun this time with the crew fixing them for you but I still enjoyed.  I am now envisioning people on deck trying to handle the ice cream melting all over. 😆 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm not a drinker either (save for an occasional beer on a hot summer day while working outside) and an even less frequent glass of wine if we have an old bottle around the house that we feel we really should use up...but....when on a river cruise or similar I do enjoy the glass of wine with dinner every night. I never do it when we go out to local restaurants. 

As you say, the cost of these things is already built in and so I see the point that...if you don't use some of the amenities, you're paying for them regardless. A friend of mine has mentioned this several times, since he doesn't drink at all. 

I rarely drink too.  I like the frozen drinks but usually go mock.  I can’t drink wine due to my early drinking days experiences.  I can hardly smell it.  Advice for the young ones reading, don’t drink a variety of alcohol in one night.  That is one reason I have not tried Chefs table.  They stress all the various wines you are going to be offered.  I am sure the food is great and would like to try it but it may be a mistake if I started drinking the wine.  The 4 drinks per day offering meets my needs.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Hopefully I go home Saturday. My daughter what I’ll want to eat. 
I told her shrimp egg foo young. My favorite comfort food. 

So happy to hear that the surgery went well!  I hope you have a quick and relatively pain free recovery, and a positive pathology report.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

No, they have a "free category upgrade" instead, though not on your 1st cruise on Celebrity.

Starting with your second, if, for example, you book a E3 category, you'll pay the rate of the lesser one, E4. It ranges between 70$-100$. You have to ask for it when booking.

So even if you transfer from RC Diamond to C Elite you don’t get the upgrade on your first cruise?  It also sounds like you have to call to get it as opposed to booking on line.  I was hoping once I transferred status I could enter a similar C&A # like on the RC website.  Doesn’t sound like much of a game changer but any savings is a good thing.

I don't think Viking would be our cup of tea, although to be fair, I haven't really looked into them.  We like Royal because of the variety of activities and entertainment.  I know some of you follow Tony from La Lido Loca and he summarized it well in a recent video.  His favorite class of ship across all cruise lines is Oasis class, but he has never used the flow rider, the zip line, the rock wall, and I think he also included a water slide.  He likes Oasis class for the entertainment...the Broadway shows, Aquatheater, comedy club, etc.  We are the same.  We like the "energy" on an Oasis class ship, even if we don't use all of the amenities ourselves.  I don't think I'd like a higher end cruise line just because it has really good food and service.  We need to do more than just sit around, relax, and look at the ocean.  I can do that at home.  I should probably check out Viking, Seabourn, Azamara, etc. in more detail before making assumptions about the experience.

The Celebrity Edge class seems to be a little more like Royal with "bells and whistles" while also being a little more upscale with food and service.  And the Retreat area looks very nice.

• Like 7