Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Thankful I don’t cruise for a month.

Last night while rushing down the sidewalk to get to the DGS football game and watch the band, I tripped over an uneven sidewalk and ended up in the ER all night.  I had a water bottle in my right hand that I couldn’t let go of quick enough and face planted the right side of my face. Unfortunately I bit entirely through my lip. My left hand took some of the fall and is super sore, hands have abrasions on both sides of them (how did that happen) and skinned my knees. I look like I got in a bar fight. The best news is they can’t see any facial fractures on Ct scan or X-rays and no broken teeth. Also there was a plastic surgeon in the hospital so I got the best repair possible. I won’t be able to chew for a week or so. Maybe I can lose a couple of pounds! 

I’ll heal and this is small compared to the suffering in North Carolina, just painful. 

So sorry this happened to you. Thank goodness you have time to heal before your cruise. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Pretty much anything I can get thru a straw on one side of my mouth or jello, yogurt. All the sutures will self dissolve but it’s so swollen inside my mouth it’s impossible to chew.  Antibiotics, oral rinses. I feel so stupid for not watching where I was going and really sad to miss the DGS band show.  He has another competition in a couple of weeks and I will be there!

So sorry this happened to you.  Heal fast!

28 minutes ago, Ken at the beach said:

I agree.  When I had to cancel a cruise for medical reasons 2 weeks before sail date, I was reimbursed quickly.

@firefly333 Have a safe flight and smooth sails.  I hope upcoming Hurricane Milton doesn't impact your cruise or anyone in its path.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

IMG_1505.thumb.jpg.acc8cc524b29cd7d0b1b45628a556724.jpg

My friend and I, who both like Bourbon, started with the Pineapple Old Fashioned.  I definitely need to try to recreate this at home.  Delicious.  Our wives stuck with white wine.

IMG_1503.thumb.jpg.e74e2c008a8895351cbfd24811b4253e.jpg

Round 2 was a Mai Tai for me (similar to the original recipe which was very tasty) and my friend switched to the Tropical Itch.  Yes...that's a real back scratcher in his drink.  We got some blue crab dip and crispy pina colada shrimp to ensure that we weren't drinking on empty stomachs.  Sorry...no food pics...just drinks.

IMG_1506.thumb.jpg.17073060459a3cbe1b6b8f5fbd8e800f.jpg

We then moved to a small bar called Doar Bros.  I started with their signature Manhattan (really good) while my friend had the Bourbon & Clyde (great).  He liked it so much that I tried one for round 2 and it was indeed great.  Another one to try to imitate.  The pistachio on top of the egg white foam gave it a great taste.  I didn't get one but was really tempted to try the Give It A Whey Now, because it has Chili Pepper in it. 😁  I love things that are clever like that. 

IMG_1509.thumb.jpg.756172fefebdb1b918a7ea19797fabad.jpg

IMG_1511.thumb.jpg.40a343c2bb2a04c1721eecfedc931d20.jpg

That pineapple old fashioned sounds very interesting. Never used Mancini Rossi before in a cocktail before so I may need to try that. The menu says pineapple ice so I assume that’s where the pineapple taste comes in. Did it look like the ice cubes were frozen pineapple juice???

Thise other cocktails look great. I’m glad you had a great time.

Just now, George C said:

Are travel agent recommended Allianz for our upcoming MSc cruise, actually have an annuity with them also . Watching second Dr Odyssey definitely better than first episode.

We have been using Allianz for all of our cruises. So far ( knock on wood) we have never had to make a claim. We also do the annual policy with them as we cruise at least twice a year. I am curious if this other company is better.

Yes Dr. Odyssey episode 2 was better. Anytime I can see Shania Twain I am happy.😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We have been using Allianz for all of our cruises. So far ( knock on wood) we have never had to make a claim. We also do the annual policy with them as we cruise at least twice a year. I am curious if this other company is better.

Yes Dr. Odyssey episode 2 was better. Anytime I can see Shania Twain I am happy.😉

We always used rccl or celebrity insurance in the past , I looked at some of the annual coverage but would not cover our suites and first class air , at 6’4 with bad knees I will not fly coach again. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Ken at the beach said:

I haven't.  The place I recommended is a broker.  They deal with many companies and will get you the policy that best suits your individual needs. 

We have used the trip insurance store for years.  Steve doesn’t recommend Allianz. I just re-evaluated our travel insurance for this year. We maybe paid about $200 more then the Allianz policy for 15k would be for the year but usually pick one each trip that has primary medical. We wouldn’t trust a CC insurance but a lot of people do. I  always hope we don’t need to use and if we do I’ve used the right one. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We go to InsureMyTrip, enter in our trip info, and pick one of the several plans offered from all of the big name travel insurance companies.  They do a good job of comparing what you get from different companies so that we can match against our needs.  We've ended up choosing Nationwide more than others.  I've never had to make a claim and can't comment on how good they are in that respect.

@bobmacliberty we do as well but I’m wondering if we would be better off just buying a medical and evacuation plan.  Luckily, we haven’t had to use insurance.  

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

So sorry this happened to you.  Heal fast!

I agree.  When I had to cancel a cruise for medical reasons 2 weeks before sail date, I was reimbursed quickly.

@firefly333 Have a safe flight and smooth sails.  I hope upcoming Hurricane Milton doesn't impact your cruise or anyone in its path.

I hate flying. American airlines last time with bella1 went ok but today not so much. Sw employees imo are kinda rude. I've had trouble for days. First I couldn't update my profile online, kept saying error, call. I called and she said cant, do it online..had to escalate it. They didnt have anything current except my name and yahoo email. Account since 2011. I used to have a sw card, sure wouldnt again after today. Ok I know flights get cancelled and reworked all the time. Mine said delayed. Ok fine. I got the email with new time. No where did it say my gate was changed. I was at the gate on my boarding pass. I asked and she all but said are you stupid this plane leaves for phoenix. Well can you tell me where my terminal is for flight 1006 or whatever. Seems like that she wouldnt have to be pushed to look it up on her terminal. 

I had to call for the terminal.. nowhere on their site does it say. My first flight out. Uber makes you click which terminal to give a price. She had to look it up, tried to tell me didnt matter just look for sw. Uber wants which terminal. 

Oh and my boarding pass wouldnt scan I had to have it redone, so I boarded the very last person on a first come first serve basis. I sat next to a lady larger than me who already had the arm rest raised, she overflowed. I'll be she was happy I sat next to her. We had turbulence and crabby stewardesses or whatever they are called. Cant recline seats the whole way. She fussd at me twice for putting my purse strap over my knee. It wasnt in anyone's way being over my knee but I moved it to other knee. My purse was under the seat. Told people ok no more bathroom breaks, wait until we land. She needs a job she likes more.  

My hotel shuttle had to stop for gas during Houston rush hour and was late but arrived. Hotel is 100% sold out front desk said. Full hot breakfast promised for the morning got me here. So glad to be here. Hotel said today has been a zoo for him too. I agree.

I would not buy sw stock after today. Not from what I saw. I reread the email alert i got and no where does it say we changed your gate. Their IT is worse than royals. But I'm here, and safe and hotel seems fine. King bed. No complaints about hotel. Just sw. Fingers crossed everything goes right from now on. What's a little air turbulence to a cruiser. Way over rated. Stay in your seat, dont recline, keep your seatbelt on. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Wanting some ideas on what types of travel insurance does everyone get for their cruises. We have had cruiseline offered and also from allianz (?) in the past.

I always use Trip Insurance Store  1-888-407-3854  I always just call.  Steve, the owner, or his other employees, Kim, or Diana, will answer and find the best insurance for me.

steve@tripinsurancestore.com

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

I have been using them for quite a few years now, and unfortunately, had to use the insurance twice.  

The first time we had to cancel our trip a week before our booked London hotel, excursions, then transatlantic by way of Iceland, etc. since I became ill.  We had cancel for any reason, and after providing doctors notes, etc., we got every penny back for all that we had spent.

The second time, we only purchased Medical, and that was when we were on our New England/Canada cruise where we had to disembark in Halifax where Jim wound up having emergency surgery.  Once again, everything was covered.  Hospital, doctors, tests, hotel, and airfare home.  The only thing not covered were the two days I was alone in the hotel.  Once Jim was released from the hospital and joined me at the hotel, those days were covered up to the day he could fly home.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Pretty much anything I can get thru a straw on one side of my mouth or jello, yogurt. All the sutures will self dissolve but it’s so swollen inside my mouth it’s impossible to chew.  Antibiotics, oral rinses. I feel so stupid for not watching where I was going and really sad to miss the DGS band show.  He has another competition in a couple of weeks and I will be there!

Oh you poor thing!  That has to be so very painful.  I sure hope you heal quickly!🥰

Thank goodness you didn't break or lose any teeth!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I look closely at evacuation benefits if one of us gets ill on a cruise.  RCI's insurance benefit seems minimal compared to what Steve offers at the Insurance Store.  Of course, the premium is higher but then it IS insurance, right? 

Medical and Evac coverage are horrible with cruise line insurance.  The biggest plusses with the cruise line insurance are the CFAR coverage and the fact that the premiums are not age based.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ken at the beach said:

The new itinerary for Voyager was just announced (not on sale yet)

image.thumb.png.209da94d2f1c816965c2e7f3a07350b6.png

I like that 18 nighter but I would not be able to get 3 weeks off from work.   If only I was retired!

And I am not sure with Eric if he could get the vaccines needed for South Africa.

I was just looking at Celebrity and they have a nice 9 night itinerary on Equinox 

image.png.8349028527b79a51e866ea2bac51b16f.png

Looks like they do this itinerary in the fall.   Has anyone here done this itinerary before?     

My SIL has scheduled her retirement for August 30, 2025 and announced last weekend that we are all going on a cruise next fall in Europe.    My Brother has never cruised so I don't want to risk the weather of Bay of Biscay or do a TA crossing.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

That pineapple old fashioned sounds very interesting. Never used Mancini Rossi before in a cocktail before so I may need to try that. The menu says pineapple ice so I assume that’s where the pineapple taste comes in. Did it look like the ice cubes were frozen pineapple juice???

Thise other cocktails look great. I’m glad you had a great time.

The pineapple taste was subtle, and the ice cubes didn't look too yellow, so I'm guessing that the ice was a mix of water and pineapple juice.  I'll need to experiment. 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I like that 18 nighter but I would not be able to get 3 weeks off from work.   If only I was retired!

And I am not sure with Eric if he could get the vaccines needed for South Africa.

I was just looking at Celebrity and they have a nice 9 night itinerary on Equinox 

image.png.8349028527b79a51e866ea2bac51b16f.png

Looks like they do this itinerary in the fall.   Has anyone here done this itinerary before?     

My SIL has scheduled her retirement for August 30, 2025 and announced last weekend that we are all going on a cruise next fall in Europe.    My Brother has never cruised so I don't want to risk the weather of Bay of Biscay or do a TA crossing.    

Thst definitely looks interesting. 

Just now, bobmacliberty said:

The pineapple taste was subtle, and the ice cubes didn't look too yellow, so I'm guessing that the ice was a mix of water and pineapple juice.  I'll need to experiment. 😁

Let me know how the experiment goes. This could be very interesting. I have never thought of doing juice based ice cubes.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, maggieq said:

@bobmacliberty we do as well but I’m wondering if we would be better off just buying a medical and evacuation plan.  Luckily, we haven’t had to use insurance.  

The plans that I've chosen have good medical and evac coverage.  That's my most important consideration in choosing a plan since that's where things can get really expensive.  If it was just to cover the cost of the trip itself, I'd probably roll the dice and self-insure.  I never thought about getting something for just medical and evacuation.  The last one-week plan that I had included $150K in medical (secondary) and $1M in emergency medical evac, plus all of the other typical trip interruption, luggage, etc. for $205 for 2 people.  

• Like 2