Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Good morning, or afternoon depending on where you're located.

It's 25 degrees out and we're hunkered down for the day.  Homemade chicken soup will be on the menu here.  High of 38 today.  This is so not our usual weather and I refuse to wear my down jacket making it 6 times in almost 20 years here in TX.

Taken from my friend, google:

How warm is Dallas in January?

January Weather in Dallas Texas, United States. Daily high temperatures increase by 2°F, from 56°F to 58°F, rarely falling below 40°F

Mother Nature missed the mark today.

Homemade soup sounds delicious and very warming given the unusually cold conditions 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

This is an amazing thread and all. But does it strike anyone else as odd that a they have a hair trigger to move a thread because God forbid you ask a question about a port on a cruise line forum instead of a port forum, but this 1800 page bit of randomness hasn't been relocated to the Floataway Lounge yet?

I think they remove a thread to the port forum when the thread in its entirety is about a specific port.

"Never look a gift horse in the mouth"  Yes this is an amazing thread.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On the subject of weather.  We have apparently had some stunning sunrises and sunsets here due to the ash cloud from the Tongan eruption.  I usually enjoy the lovely sunsets from my walk in the local park each evening but since it’s been pouring rain all week, I sadly missed the technicolor sunsets that were posted online by people across the state tonight.

The other thing we have all been complaining about is the humidity.  We are probably feeling it more due to the mask mandate but the weather people reported yesterday that we have had 85% humidity this month which is unusual for us. That sort of humidity is more likely to occur in Darwin, Northern Territory.

Stay warm those of you suffering through frigid weather right now.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

I think Dick is going to request fish and chips for his birthday dinner when our son-in-law is on two feet again. 
His fish and chips (and he even does mushy peas) are manna from Heaven. 
I wash I could have had some of yours! 
Where’s lovely Pauline?

Screenshot_20220120_155720.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

....they have a hair trigger to move a thread because God forbid you ask a question about a port on a cruise line forum instead of a port forum

11 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I think they remove a thread to the port forum when the thread in its entirety is about a specific port.

Thanks, Bonnie, that's what I was going to reply too.

Also to add, a specific question about hotel or transportation in a port are best answered by some of the "locals". For example, I found the "British Isles & Western Europe" port forum very helpful when sailing from Southampton. There are people who don't mind answering the same questions over and over again.

Forgot to mention the Caribbean ports forum for a Southern Caribbean cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

NYC probably would have been the Twin Towers, and will probably be the new 1 World Trade Center in a few years, but it feels a little too new for worldwide association as THE structure to define NYC.  Maybe the Empire State Building?

I can't think of too many other major cities that have one structure that is associated with the city worldwide.  Am I missing anything? 

I'd vote for the Empire State Building as well, although I think the less famous, less touristy Chrysler Building is more beautiful,  especially at night.  It was once the tallest building in the world for about a day until it was surpassed by the Empire State Building. 

Other iconic structures: Space Needle in Seattle,  CN tower in Toronto & possibly the Capital Records Building in LA? 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Hoping the best for Toby.

Sorry to hear this. Wishing good health to all involved.

If it's going to be .50 pp x 50 people that's just a tip pool. I don't know what they would charge, but I think it would be a lot more. Either way I'm in.

Thanks,Renee 

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Interesting question. My suggestions would be Brandenburg Gate for Berlin, Marina Bay Sands Hotel for Singapore, Golden Gate Bridge for San Francisco.  India has the Taj Mahal.  Washington - The White House. 

Happy birthday to your daughter.

Screenshot_20211019_100324.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jagsfan said:

So many January birthdays!

Hope they were all spectacular!

Dick will be 88 tomorrow. Normally we’d have everyone together at our daughter and son-in-law’s house for dinner with him choosing the menu. 
Any celebrating will happen after everyone is well, and really importantly, son-in-law is off crutches and able to cook our feast. 

Happy 88th birthday tomorrow Dick.

Hope you are well Mimi.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211206_183417.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

I'd vote for the Empire State Building as well, although I think the less famous, less touristy Chrysler Building is more beautiful,  especially at night.  It was once the tallest building in the world for about a day until it was surpassed by the Empire State Building. 

Other iconic structures: Space Needle in Seattle,  CN tower in Toronto & possibly the Capital Records Building in LA? 

On our second visit to NYC, our apartment hotel had a lovely view of the Chrysler Building.  The first night in the hotel, my daughter posted online to her friends - wow this view of the Empire State Building is amazing….

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Thank you!

Many thanks!

Thanks, Lenny. Happy birthday to Toby's sister.  Zoom is amazing, isn't it!

Thank you so much, Graham

Dani, that photo book is amazing and I know is a treasured keepsake.

Yes, snow in Israel is very rare.  

And, of course, thank you for birthday wishes for Jack.

Two awesome guys with birthdays 2 days apart!!!

Zoom is amazing. The original plan was to celebrate the birthday in a Brooklyn restaurant tonight.However,since there will be a Zoom ,my sister in laws very good friends who live in Israel can participate.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks Mark. I had no luck finding the original company that makes them. I saw several on ebay for $300. As much as I like them not for $300.

I hope you have a great celebration. Cheers!

We had a wonderful time last night.Toby and I participated in the making of a video with about 50 other people .

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

It's 25 degrees out and we're hunkered down for the day.  Homemade chicken soup will be on the menu here.  High of 38 today.  This is so not our usual weather and I refuse to wear my down jacket making it 6 times in almost 20 years here in TX.

January Weather in Dallas Texas, United States. Daily high temperatures increase by 2°F, from 56°F to 58°F, rarely falling below 40°F

We are in northern SC just off the coast and have a winter storm warning for tomorrow, not happy at all.  I moved south for the warmth, not the winter weather.  At least we know how to deal with it not like the locals 😜

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

On our second visit to NYC, our apartment hotel had a lovely view of the Chrysler Building.  The first night in the hotel, my daughter posted online to her friends - wow this view of the Empire State Building is amazing….

I took my then girlfriend now wife to nyc it was her first visit , she was overwhelmed, we attended my cousins wedding which was in a huge loft apartment with a perfect view of the Chrysler building , he was a professional musician and his friends played several songs during the party . She still loves New York City , now she has been there about 30 times. Also took her to top of the World Trade Center, Statue of Liberty, etc.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, jagsfan said:

So many January birthdays!

Hope they were all spectacular!

Dick will be 88 tomorrow. Normally we’d have everyone together at our daughter and son-in-law’s house for dinner with him choosing the menu. 
Any celebrating will happen after everyone is well, and really importantly, son-in-law is off crutches and able to cook our feast. 

Very happy birthday wishes to Dick

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Gateway Arch is St Louis

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

The Sydney Opera House is interesting to me, not just because of its iconic architecture, but because it has come to represent a city. 

I think the Eiffel Tower is the same for Paris,

London -- the Elizabeth Tower (Big Ben)? 

Same for Rome...maybe the Colosseum would represent them? 

NYC probably would have been the Twin Towers -- Empire State Building?

Is the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona 

2 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

The Statue of Liberty for New York, I would think. That’s interesting, I am going to spend my day thinking about iconic buildings!

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

My suggestions would be Brandenburg Gate for Berlin,

Marina Bay Sands Hotel for Singapore,

Golden Gate Bridge for San Francisco.  

India has the Taj Mahal.  

Washington - The White House. 

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

I would definitely say Sagrada Familia for Barcelona

Golden Gate Bridge for San Francisco

Taj Mahal for India. 

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Don't know how I missed the Statue of Liberty.

Great Wall of China.

1 hour ago, George C said:

Also Athens Acropolis 

15 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'd vote for the Empire State Building

as well, although I think the less famous, less touristy Chrysler Building is more beautiful,  especially at night.  👍

Other iconic structures: Space Needle in Seattle, 

CN tower in Toronto

possibly the Capital Records Building in LA? 

May I add --

Moscow --The dome churches, St. Petersburg - Hermitage building

Firenze - Ponte Vecchio

Santorini - The blue domes of Oia

Jerusalem - The Golden Dome / The Wailing Wall 

Petra - The "Pink" temple

Venice - I'd suggest the Doge Palace

Las Vegas - The Stratosphere?

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Amazing Race tonight!

I watched it this morning.I was hoping that it would be a non elimination race .

I was rooting for the team that was eliminated.

My two daughters who never watched the show are watching this season because of the Holderness couple.

3 minutes ago, George C said:

I took my then girlfriend now wife to nyc it was her first visit , she was overwhelmed, we attended my cousins wedding which was in a huge loft apartment with a perfect view of the Chrysler building , he was a professional musician and his friends played several songs during the party . She still loves New York City , now she has been there about 30 times. Also took her to top of the World Trade Center, Statue of Liberty, etc.

What a wonderful first visit to NYC!  We’ve done Top of the Rock a couple of times and One World Observatory.  I actually really liked One World.  The lifts are very cool and the view of the bridges and Statue of Liberty is really nice.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I share something in common with several people on this thread ,including Bonnie.She was a camper in the same summer that I was an Asst.Counsellor in the camp.Bonnie ,I found a list of the staff for the summer of 1959.Do you recall Girls Counsellor Rona Lichtenstein and Girls Head Counsellor Sandy Yedwab ?

• Like 1