Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

For those curious about Canadians in the states they can fly, but they can not drive across the border unless they are essential workers such as in health care, police, truck drivers etc.

There are some that have figured ways around this law, and others happy to take their money to do it. They have their car transported across the border and then fly the short hop to the nearest airport to where their car is waiting for them. They then get in their car and drive south. I’m sure others ship their car all the way to Florida and then fly all the way. 

Our family will not partake in this, even though we own property in Florida. We will see you all later in 2021. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/snowbirds-canada-u-s-border-drive-winter-travel-covid-19-1.5810104

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I, too, will have to check out Turn the Key - sounds very intriguing.    

I finished the Will Robie series on my last cruise this year and this summer I started the Amos Decker series.      Reading the last book of the series now,  The Redemption.     I asked for several James Patterson books for Christmas.      We'll see what Santa brings.

Amos Decker series is so good.

Allison Brenner has a Lucy Kincaid series that is very good.

And then there's Nelson DeMilles John Corey.

J. A. Jance with Ali Reynolds and Joanna Brady. Haven't started the Beaumont ones yet.

Louise Penny with Gamache.

I spend too much time with my nose in a book.

Edited by Bailey & Sophie
Typo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

It was named Sambo's when I was in college. The name was changed to Denny's

I kind of remember eating at one as a very young child in California, maybe I was in grade two. I think the menu had a story of a young boy being chased around a coconut tree by a tiger and the kid slipped up the tree. The tiger didn’t see him and then perhaps turned himself into butter for the pancakes.

I mean we are going back some 40 years or so, so my memory isn’t good on the butter story. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I finished the Will Robie series on my last cruise this year and this summer I started the Amos Decker series.      Reading the last book of the series now,  The Redemption.     I asked for several James Patterson books for Christmas. 

Amos Decker -- check. Did u try the "John Puller" series? Excellent.

J. Patterson (Women's murder club) - check.

I remember in one of the cruises, someone saw me binging on Robert B. Parker, RIP. She asked me if I knew T. Jefferson Parker too. I said "no", but went on to check and also enjoy his books...

8 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Amos Decker series is so good.

Allison Brenner has a Lucy Kincaid series that is very good.

And then there's Nelson DeMilles John Corey.

J. A. Jance with Ali Reynolds and Joanna Brady. Haven't started the Beaumont ones yet.

Louise Penny with Gamache.

I use to read a lot of J.A. Jance but haven't done so in a while.   I will have to revisit her books in near future as well as check out your other authors.      

I seem to read more in the summer than winter months.   I enjoy relaxing on my patio with a good book and glass of iced tea.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

For those curious about Canadians in the states they can fly, but they can not drive across the border unless they are essential workers such as in health care, police, truck drivers etc.

There are some that have figured ways around this law, and others happy to take their money to do it. They have their car transported across the border and then fly the short hop to the nearest airport to where their car is waiting for them. They then get in their car and drive south. I’m sure others ship their car all the way to Florida and then fly all the way. 

Thanks for the information, makes sense as a way around regulations. However it's not the best thing to do, especially as many of them are older and may not have much support if they need healthcare in US.

Looking forward to next year and the ability to visit my favorite place the Canadian Rockies.

Hope you have a great Christmas 🎄☃️

Mary

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I, too, will have to check out Turn the Key - sounds very intriguing.    

I finished the Will Robie series on my last cruise this year and this summer I started the Amos Decker series.      Reading the last book of the series now,  The Redemption.     I asked for several James Patterson books for Christmas.      We'll see what Santa brings.

I was disappointed in Redemption.

8 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Amos Decker -- check. Did u try the "John Puller" series? Excellent.

J. Patterson (Women's murder club) - check.

I remember in one of the cruises, someone saw me binging on Robert B. Parker, RIP. She asked me if I knew T. Jefferson Parker too. I said "no", but went on to check and also enjoy his books...

Yes, I did the John Puller series - Yes, another very good series. 

Yes, Women's murder club - my next one to read is 18th Abduction - the others were on my christmas list.   

8 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Same here, but in "my book" -- you can never spend too much with a nose in a book (as in "you can never be too thin or too rich"😉).

The other ones you've mentioned -- I've only read Nelson DeMille books, again -- very good.

44 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Perkins or local diner was my go to spot to get that grease in my belly after drinking all night.     Truly does help a hangover.    

In our early visits to Orlando 1992-2010 we used to go to Friendlys or 

Key W kools for breakfast.

Edited by grapau27

Just now, dani negreanu said:

Same here, but in "my book" -- you can never spend too much with a nose in a book (as in "you can never be too thin or too rich"😉).

The other ones you've mentioned -- I've only read Nelson DeMille books, again -- very good.

I have other series that I read. They are what's called cozies. I'm afraid if I read too much of the thrillers I might go off the deep end. I need some rounding out sometimes.

If anyone wants some of these authors let me know.

• Like 1

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas

and

a very Happy New Year !!!

May we all return to our favorite vacation in the

very near future - the vaccines bring a glimmer of hope 

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas

and

a very Happy New Year !!!

May we all return to our favorite vacation in the very near future -                            the vaccines bring a glimmer of hope 

Thank you!       Wishing a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family too.

Someday soon we shall meet on a ship 😍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I don’t mean to belittle anyone, but the idea of Denny’s and good food is kind of strange to me.  

I used to love going to Denny's as a child in the 1970's.

I think I used to love going to Denny's after a night of drinking in the 1980's.

I used to love going to have breakfast at Denny's in the 1990's.

Probably haven't been to one since then. Either my taste changes or there was a decline in quality t the one local Denny's restaurant near me. Haven't tried any of the others that I would occasionally drive by,

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Also, Denny’s is comfort food😀

Yes, it certainly is. Or was in my case.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We only went to Denny's for breakfast.

I always get the philysteak omelette and Pauline got the 

Fit Fare Veggie Skillet.

Good choice. Probably their best meal.

26 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

I used to love Sambo's as a child as well. Only went on family road trips heading down south (Virginia maybe?) Always wonder what happened to it. I believe it was named after the owner but was still viewed as politically incorrect.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

I barely remember Sambo’s.  I did eat at one.  In my town we have the Village Inn for 3AM food it is way better than Denny’s.  Denny’s is good for travel because they are often near the freeway exchange, but there is no way I would go one block out of my way to eat at one.  There are better options almost every where.  

• Like 1