Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

What ticks me off is the spoof phone calls where the caller id shows a local number and it’s not. 
I have the reverse phone look up app. Sometimes I use it to see where the calls are coming from. Most seem to be from Texas. 
Luckily my iPhone silenced them and I get a banner saying possible spam. 
We mostly stopped getting on our landline. 

We get the same thing.Our phone has either a verbal message or a written one stating possible spam call.

9 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I've been getting phone calls from Medicare and Social Security. Did I receive my new card?

I also got a call from the FBI. From Atlanta, about bank accounts in Texas that I (in Minneapolis) had. Ummm, we have an FBI office in Minneapolis. Why didn't that office call me? Cause it wasn't real!

Yesterday afternoon we had an interesting phone from a "physical therapy office"    I couldn't even understand the name the said for the office.     They said they were calling to confirm an upcoming appt.     I asked who is the appointment for.   They said they needed to confirm some information before they could say.     I played with them.   I asked who did you need to confirm information for.    they said the person that is scheduled for physical therapy.   I said No one is scheduled for therapy.    they said oh yes, it is either your Husband or your Son.    I asked then you tell me what their name is per your schedule.     They hung up on me.    Gotcha!!!      

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

We get calls supposedly from the Police Department asking for donations.

I once got a call from my grandson asking for money.I do not have any grandsons.

My sister once got a call from a kid crying saying he was her grandson and needed money wired immediately, of course, not to his account.  My sister asked the kid "what is your sister's name".  "Kid" hung up.

Unfortunately, many folks fall for this illegal activity.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Unless the number is in my contacts, I don’t answer.  I haven’t ever setup voice mail either.  Last month, until I blocked the number, I had the same number call me each day for over 2 weeks!  I finally looked up the number.  It was Sirius xm.  

We have a generic voice and this has cut down the number of messages.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sgmn said:

Well after testing negative every day this week, I finally got a positive LFT test this morning.

I've felt like I have a bad cold since Thursday, sore throat, cough, tired but it's covid not a cold.  I'm all boostered so hopefully it won't get any worst. Legally I have to self isolate (and I will) though its widely reported that from Monday the govt is doing away with the legal bit and making  it advisory only. 

Gary is still testing negative 

We have PCR tests booked for later to confirm 

Sorry to hear this Sue.   I hope you through the worst of it and on the road to recovery.    I, also, hope that Gary remains negative.     Drink plenty of fluids and feel better soon😍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Yes, the government recently had a program that each household could register to receive four at home antigen tests per household.  We ordered over a month ago and haven't received them yet.  We have been able to buy tests at pharmacies, when the pharmacies had them, which was next to impossible around the holidays.  Now, they are easy to find and our health insurance companies are reimbursing some of the costs.

I never received mine either & I signed up on Jan 18th.  Never received a confirmation email either.

I just never bother following up as the Skilled Nursing Facility that I visit every day gives me the 15 minute Rapid antigen to test myself every 3 days, otherwise I would not be allowed to enter.  I'm pretty sure New York State supplies the test kits so at least I'm benefiting from my tax dollars at work.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

It could be that security measures were in place, incognito, without anyone noticing?

I don’t think so.I went thru the overhead detector and it beeped.I told the security office that it was my belt buckle.He should have told me to remove the belt and go through again but he did not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

One other thing to consider is your phone and phone settings.  I was just reading an article about how your phone microphone is always listening, if you have Siri enabled.  That got me wondering if the Siri & Search options have anything to do with it.  I found that my microphone on the phone was on for YouTube and instagram under the privacy tab.  

I think Google works the same way as well.  Even if you don't use the Google search engine, if you have a gmail account that you are permanently logged into on your phone or if you use Google Maps as your Navigation app of choice, it's still keeping track. Just the other night, Google Maps informed me that I last visited a restaurant 3 years ago and on another occasion asked me rank my visit - 1 to 5 stars - at another restaurant.

And this information may affect the ads you see in FB or YouTube videos, i.e. How to prepare Mexican food!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sgmn said:

Well after testing negative every day this week, I finally got a positive LFT test this morning.

I've felt like I have a bad cold since Thursday, sore throat, cough, tired but it's covid not a cold.  I'm all boostered so hopefully it won't get any worst. Legally I have to self isolate (and I will) though its widely reported that from Monday the govt is doing away with the legal bit and making  it advisory only. 

Gary is still testing negative 

We have PCR tests booked for later to confirm 

Sorry to hear about your positive LFT test Sue.

I hope you are feeling better soon and both of your PCR tests are negative.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

don't answer either but it's annoying to have to hear the ring, then look at the phone to see who's calling. 

We still have a landline that we'll probably give up soon.

When I got my Samsung there was a setting or app to block the phone from ringing when a call is expected to be spam.  It will still record they called.  Sometimes one or two will get through.  
What is a landline?  Is that one of those phones you always know where you left it?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've been getting text messages asking me to click on a like to: 1) take a poll or 2) confirm a doctors appointment that I did not make or 3) thanking me for paying my cell phone bill & click on the link to receive a free gift.

I usually block those numbers & delete the text.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

We still have a landline that we'll probably give up soon.  I don't recall the last time we used it.  I think it's there in case something happens to our cell phones.

I kept my landline phone for years "just for emergency". Like if we lost power and were unable to recharge our cell phones, at least we could communicate with the outside world.

Of course, that's assuming I could remember someone's number.  Since all the contacts are in my cell phone,  if my cell is dead, I'm out of luck. The only phone number I can recite from memory is my local pizza place. 😃

3 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

When I got my Samsung there was a setting or app to block the phone from ringing when a call is expected to be spam.  It will still record they called.  Sometimes one or two will get through.  

I had the feature as well but sometimes it works too well. It blocked 1 or 2 legit calls thinking they were spam when in fact it was the service dept at the dealership that had my car in for service and another from my doctor's office confirming a legit appointment.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I don't answer either but it's annoying to have to hear the ring, then look at the phone to see who's calling. 

There's an iPhone setting to Silence Unknown Callers.  Your phone won't even ring unless it's from someone in your contacts, someone that you've called recently, or someone in "Siri Suggestions" which could include people in an email message.  Incoming calls go straight to voicemail and are displayed on the recent callers list.  I used it for a while but found that I was missing too many calls from people who I didn't have as a contact.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We get calls supposedly from the Police Department asking for donations.

I once got a call from my grandson asking for money.I do not have any grandsons.

Last year a neighbor friend got a call that there grandson was arrested and if they didn’t send a Home Depot card # he was going to be spending time in jail.  Sad thing is they fell for it.  

31 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I never received mine either & I signed up on Jan 18th.  Never received a confirmation email either.

I just never bother following up as the Skilled Nursing Facility that I visit every day gives me the 15 minute Rapid antigen to test myself every 3 days, otherwise I would not be allowed to enter.  I'm pretty sure New York State supplies the test kits so at least I'm benefiting from my tax dollars at work.

I got a confirmation email when I ordered them on January 18th and nothing until yesterday when I got the tracking email saying they would be here by Tuesday.  I got a second tracking email today and they are now on a truck scheduled for delivery today.  I wonder if the original email went to your spam folder.  I wouldn't give up hope yet though, supposedly over 80% of the test that were ordered have now been delivered but that still leaves a large number of those still outstanding.

At least they supply the test when you do visit your wife, one less thing for you to have to worry about.  🙂 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Do Australian kids sing the song about “Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree

merry merry king of the bush is he. 
Laugh, kookaburra, laugh, kookaburra,

Gay your life must be.”

I can’t see the word kookaburra without singing that song in my head!

Darn you Mimi!  I can't get this song out of my head now.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, DaniDanielle said:

I wa t to thank you all for your support and hope I didn’t ramble on too much.  Charlie says thanks also.

Rambling is exactly what this thread is for...especially if it helps someone deal with something.  I'm sending positive thoughts to Charlie (and you) as well.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Lately I have been getting calls for my husband who is turning 65 since somehow they thought it was his number.  After several calls I finally answered one just to see what they were selling this time.  Normally I don't pick up unless it is someone I know.  I said no it was not Roger but if they found him, he owed me money.  They hung up right away.  The calls have slowed way down the last few days.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

15 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

What is a landline?  Is that one of those phones you always know where you left it?  

My memory is hazy but I think our landline worked during 9/11 when our cell service was knocked out for a period of time.  Since the landline is cordless, I have been known to misplace it on occasion.😊

To this day, I feel I missed out on life by not having a pink princess phone in my teens.

6 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I kept my landline phone for years "just for emergency". Like if we lost power and were unable to recharge our cell phones, at least we could communicate with the outside world.

Of course, that's assuming I could remember someone's number.  Since all the contacts are in my cell phone,  if my cell is dead, I'm out of luck. The only phone number I can recite from memory is my local pizza place. 😃

I had the feature as well but sometimes it works too well. It blocked 1 or 2 legit calls thinking they were spam when in fact it was the service dept at the dealership that had my car in for service and another from my doctor's office confirming a legit appointment.

I still have a paper phone book where I record all necessary #s in ink in case my cell goes bonkers.  We pay $12 per month for our landline, recently up from $10.  It's a small price to pay for piece of mind.  When the tv is on, I like that when the landline rings, the incoming name and number are displayed on the tv screen. 

• Like 6