Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Here's a preview of ours. Since we are looking at selling in the near future, we are looking at a mid-grade remodel. Not low end, and not high end. These are the samples that we have selected for the countertops, backsplash (glass tile) and probably the flooring. The flooring will be last. 

The countertops and new sink are in already. I love them! You just have to wipe the counters down, because you can't even see the spills. We had to have them back on Thursday, because they didn't cut correctly for the refrigerator alcove. But it is all nicely installed now. :classic_biggrin:

New Stuff.JPG

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Here's a preview of ours. Since we are looking at selling in the near future, we are looking at a mid-grade remodel. Not low end, and not high end. These are the samples that we have selected for the countertops, backsplash (glass tile) and probably the flooring. The flooring will be last. 

The countertops and new sink are in already. I love them! You just have to wipe the counters down, because you can't even see the spills. We had to have them back on Thursday, because they didn't cut correctly for the refrigerator alcove. But it is all nicely installed now. :classic_biggrin:

New Stuff.JPG

So you  are keeping your existing cabinets?

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So you  are keeping your existing cabinets?

Yep! We are just having them refaced with veneer, new doors and all new drawers with soft glide hinges and sliders and new hardware. They are solid wood cabinets, in good shape and we are not making structural changes. The last update to the kitchen was almost 30 years ago, so the Formica is gone. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Yep! We are just having them refaced with veneer, new doors and all new drawers with soft glide hinges and sliders and new hardware. They are solid wood cabinets, in good shape and we are not making structural changes. The last update to the kitchen was almost 30 years ago, so the Formica is gone. :classic_biggrin:

Wish we could have went that way, would have saved ALOT of money but my Wife wanted awhole new floor plan, open kitchen to the living room. Tearing down a wall, going to be a whole new look.

It will be nice.....eventually...

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Wish we could have went that way, would have saved ALOT of money but my Wife wanted awhole new floor plan, open kitchen to the living room. Tearing down a wall, going to be a whole new look.

You are going to have a lot of cabinets! And I'm sure it will be very nice, when it is eventually completed. Probably plan on take out and BBQing for a while. :classic_biggrin: You are doing it the right way! The more planning you put into it, the better it will be the way you want it. 

We spent over a week on the installation diagram for the countertop and I don't think the first dipso installer had any clue. :classic_rolleyes: I think he thought he was giving us MORE countertop, or something. And the refrigerator didn't fit. But it is fixed now. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Coralc said:

You are going to have a lot of cabinets! And I'm sure it will be very nice, when it is eventually completed. Probably plan on take out and BBQing for a while. :classic_biggrin: You are doing it the right way! The more planning you put into it, the better it will be the way you want it. 

We spent over a week on the installation diagram for the countertop and I don't think the first dipso installer had any clue. :classic_rolleyes: I think he thought he was giving us MORE countertop. And the refrigerator didn't fit. But it is fixed now. :classic_biggrin:

Either Grill on the deck, or  in-law suite down stairs, full Kitchen. That's what I'm afraid of, the installers know we have  another kitchen down stairs so they won't be pressured to finish as soon as possible.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

@Jimbo I like all cream cabinets 

9 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

May I vote for cream color also?  As far as black countertops with sparkle, remember dust shows up in dark colors.  Just sayin'.

I'm not just "preaching" cream cabinets... I have them for the last 26 years, even if they're quite outdated now.

Countertop [with a small "hedge" against "spilling" down] and on the wall - Caesar stone. Very easy to maintain when the "cleaning lady" is Dani. Just swipe with a damp cloth....

Natural marble on the floor. While the marble is beautiful, IMHO, and easy to clean, in hindsight, it is very sensible to vinegar/brine spills. Next time (😉) laminated flooring 😎

IMG_6914.thumb.jpg.6ada51b38f60bbf3fd15e20714b27e2e.jpg

• Like 12

@BonTexasNY, Bonnie, Fingers crossed for your Jen's Jen. Keeping her in my thoughts.

@Jimbo, as I said, I'm not good with reading plans. Hubby just happened to pass by while I posted our kitchen pic, and I told him about your "problem" with the air....

He took the liberty to suggest to bring forward the "grill" [and lengthen the duct/pipe] and "encase" it in the planed cabinets.

IMG_6915.thumb.jpg.536fba902d32046f6a59f8d0f69eebdd.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

@BonTexasNY, Bonnie, Fingers crossed for your Jen's Jen. Keeping her in my thoughts.

@Jimbo, as I said, I'm not good with reading plans. Hubby just happened to pass by while I posted our kitchen pic, and I told him about your "problem" with the air....

He took the liberty to suggest to bring forward the "grill" [and lengthen the duct/pipe] and "encase" it in the planed cabinets.

Oh I see what you mean, extend the duct work 18 inches, because that is the depth of the cabinets there, then attach the grill to the cabinet and just paint the grill to look like the color of the cabinets. Yes, that might be a better solution.

Wouldn't even have to extend the duct work really, just use the cabinet on the bottom like a box then  attach grill to outside of cabinet.

Thanks

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Oh I see what you mean, extend the duct work 18 inches, because that is the depth of the cabinets there, then attach the grill to the cabinet and just paint the grill to look like the color of the cabinets. Yes, that might be a better solution.

Wouldn't even have to extend the duct work really, just use the cabinet on the bottom like a box then  attach grill to outside of cabinet.

Thanks

I like that idea a lot!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

. Tearing down a wall, going to be a whole new look.

That's what we did so the kitchen fades into the dinning area, which fades into the sitting room. We had to get planning permission and builders as a supporting wall was taken down. The wall was taken down right at the beginning of the first lockdown and units pulled out . Then lockdown and everyone told to stay at home so we had scaffolding inside the house for three months. They made it safe and we still had the old cooker and sink in place so were able to cook , but what a mess

IMG_20200324_112533.thumb.jpg.232c4eadc24840bf78f304be615391d5.jpg

• Like 7

Okay think we have came to a somewhat decision...........

1.My wife will agree on white cabinets on both sides if and only if she then gets her way with all black speckled glitter countertops on both the stove area and the island. because she thinks if island counter top is white it will be to much white.  cabinets on island will be the light brown.

2. But if I get my way with white speckled for countertop on the island, then she wants those cabinets on the right by the grill to be the light brown color.

So I think Option #1  is the best way to go 

She had picked out that black countertop sample when we first started about doing this kitchen remodel, so her heart has been pretty set on that from the Get Go. So that fine it will be great.

The pictures the designer sent us has the island real dark but really that brown is light brown so I think it will be fine with the black countertop on top  of  that light brown.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

May I vote for cream color also?  As far as black countertops with sparkle, remember dust shows up in dark colors.  Just sayin'.

@Sunshine3601 Debbie, a big yay on your negative covid test results.  Let the fun begin!

I saved the best news for last.  One of my daughter's closest friend's got the word that she will be getting a new heart TODAY!  Transplant is in progress now!  She was in the hospital for a procedure and had no idea.  Her transplant "lady" called to give her the exceptional news.  I don't remember how many years she was on the transplant list and she had many setbacks.   My daughter's friend's (also Jen) mother passed away from the same heart condition.  My Jen's Jen is a true survivor, a 35 year old warrior.  I told my Jen to call or text no matter what time, when she finds out her Jen is out of surgery.  The word "rejection" is not in our vocabulary.

Please have kind thoughts and prayers for our warrior, Jen.

🙏 Prayers for Jen's Jen.

• Like 4

We've had glorious spring weather for the last few days so have had a couple of nice days out.

On Thursday we went Cliveden House, now owned by the National Trust but the house is leased to a hotel company. Rooms start at £450 and go up to thousands. It is open on certain days for tours but we had our dog with us so had to just walk around the extensive grounds and Thames Riverside path. We had a long chat with one of the volunteers and he told us all about the history, starting in the 16th century as a hunting lodge. It's burned down twice and been rebuilt. At one time it was owned by the American Astor family. Nancy Astor was our first sitting female member of Parliament in the early 20th century. Its also famous for the Profumo affair in the 1960s which has been made into a prime mini series 

20220317_122459.thumb.jpg.cb812c498797435dbb338c54d5695b62.jpg

20220317_113145.thumb.jpg.f0329c3b5f943b37612d8adec5e1d33a.jpg

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

That is a great idea🥰

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sgmn said:

We've had glorious spring weather for the last few days so have had a couple of nice days out.

On Thursday we went Cliveden House, now owned by the National Trust but the house is leased to a hotel company. Rooms start at £450 and go up to thousands. It is open on certain days for tours but we had our dog with us so had to just walk around the extensive grounds and Thames Riverside path. We had a long chat with one of the volunteers and he told us all about the history, starting in the 16th century as a hunting lodge. It's burned down twice and been rebuilt. At one time it was owned by the American Astor family. Nancy Astor was our first sitting female member of Parliament in the early 20th century. Its also famous for the Profumo affair in the 1960s which has been made into a prime mini series 

Beautiful Pics !

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Okay think we have came to a somewhat decision...........

1.My wife will agree on white cabinets on both sides if and only if she then gets her way with all black speckled glitter countertops on both the stove area and the island. because she thinks if island counter top is white it will be to much white.  cabinets on island will be the light brown.

2. But if I get my way with white speckled for countertop on the island, then she wants those cabinets on the right by the grill to be the light brown color.

So I think Option #1  is the best way to go 

She had picked out that black countertop sample when we first started about doing this kitchen remodel, so her heart has been pretty set on that from the Get Go. So that fine it will be great.

The pictures the designer sent us has the island real dark but really that brown is light brown so I think it will be fine with the black countertop on top  of  that light brown.

Option #1 sounds wonderful.  I can't wait to see pictures as it develops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, sgmn said:

That's what we did so the kitchen fades into the dinning area, which fades into the sitting room. We had to get planning permission and builders as a supporting wall was taken down. The wall was taken down right at the beginning of the first lockdown and units pulled out . Then lockdown and everyone told to stay at home so we had scaffolding inside the house for three months. They made it safe and we still had the old cooker and sink in place so were able to cook , but what a mess

IMG_20200324_112533.thumb.jpg.232c4eadc24840bf78f304be615391d5.jpg

It is always stressful to have construction going on.  In Texas we had major work that went on several months.  Sigh I can only imagine the stress of not knowing when they could finish the work.  We had nothing that extensive but at the beginning of 2020 we had work done in the bathroom and the kitchen.  New countertops, tile backsplash,  new shower area and cabinets installed in the utility room.  Thank goodness the construction people were deemed "essential workers" so that they could keep working.  It actually worked out well since it wasn't hard to be home every day while they were working.  LOL

Edited by Keksie
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Coralc said:

I think that empty space under the microwave looks really awkward. There needs to be SOMETHING there. But it is your kitchen, deal with it as you will. 

Since you are asking, I am also going with a NO vote on the black countertops. Why don't you just go with quartz and Ceasarstone or Silestone? It doesn't require the maintenance that granite does and comes in tons of patterns. (and cheaper) 

I'm not going to post photos of ours until it is done. We already made all the decisions. Hopefully some time in May. We are not replacing the appliances yet, but that is a good reminder about wait times. THX. :classic_biggrin:

My daughter liked her granite till she realized it showed water rings and stains. They put quartz in their new house and love it. 

Edited by jagsfan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I hope you get to enjoy it for many many years. 
I had to laugh reading the comments. 
You can tell we’re all friends. Friends will give you their opinions, not just be yes men. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

My daughter liked her granite till she realized it showed water rings and stains. They put quartz in their new house and love it. 

Ours will be

Silestone quartz stain resistant?

Silestone® is highly resistant to stains and acids common in everyday kitchen use and is easy to maintain.
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Interesting garden. I’ve seen a lot of gardens but never one quite like that!

To everyone who sent prayers for my Jen's Jen, thank you.  

The surgery lasted 7 hours and the heart is working!!  Now the wait begins to hopefully regulate everything.

@Jimboyour new kitchen will be beautiful because it's what you and  your wife chose although some great ideas were posted in here.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Ours will be

Silestone quartz stain resistant?

Silestone® is highly resistant to stains and acids common in everyday kitchen use and is easy to maintain.

I had Silestone in Texas and loved it.  

• Like 2