Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Many good folk live in Canberra. Problem is that we voters mostly have only a choice  of which idiot to vote for & get fined if we don’t vote for one idiot or another idiot.

You don't get fined for not voting, only for not checking your name off.

On 10/8/2023 at 4:56 PM, Mareblu said:

We’ve been watching Bathurst today as our magnificent Roulettes (Air Force) buzzed our house to acknowledge 35 years since nearby New Parliament House was opened.

And our place - flew straight over the top - a great display. A pity many people seem to equate Canberra with the Australian Government (or opposition). Lots of media seem to like to report "Canberra...." when they really mean "the Government .....". Gets right up my nose, it does.☹️

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

And our place - flew straight over the top - a great display. A pity many people seem to equate Canberra with the Australian Government (or opposition). Lots of media seem to like to report "Canberra...." when they really mean "the Government .....". Gets right up my nose, it does.☹️

I totally, absolutely, indubitably agree!!!!

• Like 2

Yep, but then Canberra is a scapegoat for many things and the decisions made by parliament can have a profound affect on people's lives. You cannot blame the people who parrot exactly what the media say when their lives are not as good as they would like.

28 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, but then Canberra is a scapegoat for many things and the decisions made by parliament can have a profound affect on people's lives. You cannot blame the people who parrot exactly what the media say when their lives are not as good as they would like.

Agreed.  The issue is that it’s easier to parrot the media’s Canberra construct when it’s presented ad nauseum, unfortunately.  

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't agree Canberra itself is a scapegoat for many things - but making fun of politicians, whether they be in Canberra or our state ones,  is  somewhat of a national pastime, usually in good fun

(like joke I posted,  I thought, although some people seem to have taken it to heart)

Good natured state vs state (or territory) banter something of a pastime too - eg Victorians making fun of South Australians or vice versa.

Mentioning that one specifically as has been my own experience.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

You don't get fined for not voting, only for not checking your name off.

Generally I agree with much of the sentiment and banter but I do feel that our compulsory voting has helped us not go down the road to ruin like some of the crazy decisions made in other countries in the past decade. I'm thinking of the Brexit debacle and the election of a dubious character in the US of A.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Kristelle said:

I don't agree Canberra itself is a scapegoat for many things - but making fun of politicians, whether they be in Canberra or our state ones,  is  somewhat of a national pastime, usually in good fun

(like joke I posted,  I thought, although some people seem to have taken it to heart)

Good natured state vs state (or territory) banter something of a pastime too - eg Victorians making fun of South Australians or vice versa.

Mentioning that one specifically as has been my own experience.

These Crow-Eaters - forever causing trouble 🤣

The joke has seen many days and I get the overall offence. We certainly aren't as specific to refer to our federal pollies as being from Capital Hill, where as our state derision is targeted at Phillip Street for NSW, Spring Street for Victoria etc. Then again, Canberra was gazetted for the purpose of housing a federal government, and the saying in the 90's was that the ACT was famous for two things.

Canberra is a beautiful place - Floriade, stunning federal buildings, spacious. I love visiting when I get a chance, and driving is much easier since the satnav was invented.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

oops, [embarrassed] - should have said Macquarie Street.

Well, all the lawyers are in Phillip St😂

33 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So now can we turn off the political highway before someone with little humour gets this long standing shoot the breeze thread closed because we managed to offend someone.

How about we talk about...

Good idea, Lyle.  It’s divisive enough in Oz this week.  Now for something completely different..,

• Thanks 1

So it was "Thanksgiving" for us today, the big traditional turkey dinner thing, for us not so much. I tied together a bunch of chicken breasts together with some bacon on top and roasted it in parchment. It turned out pretty good and way less than $40.00 to $50.00 for the average turkey. It worked for us.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So it was "Thanksgiving" for us today, the big traditional turkey dinner thing, for us not so much. I tied together a bunch of chicken breasts together with some bacon on top and roasted it in parchment. It turned out pretty good and way less than $40.00 to $50.00 for the average turkey. It worked for us.

Sounds wonderful.  Bravo!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

That was clever!  What do Canadians have for desert.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

And here I am thinking about whether I should cook a couple of Aldi pork and herb sausages or go get a Whopper.

The Whopper is winning ATM.

First world problems tire me out.

15 hours ago, lyndarra said:

And here I am thinking about whether I should cook a couple of Aldi pork and herb sausages or go get a Whopper.

The Whopper is winning ATM.

First world problems tire me out.

The Whopper won.😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't mind turkey breast, but otherwise chicken is better.

Double tick, and both are superb after brining in buttermilk with fresh garden herbs.  Tonight’s dinner (butterflied and deboned chicken).  It will then serve in a salad for lunch tomorrow, and shredded in veg soup tomorrow night.

• Like 4

On 10/11/2023 at 7:18 AM, Mareblu said:

Double tick, and both are superb after brining in buttermilk with fresh garden herbs.  Tonight’s dinner (butterflied and deboned chicken).  It will then serve in a salad for lunch tomorrow, and shredded in veg soup tomorrow night.

Three meals from one chicken - what a great cook you are!  I bought a slow raised whole free range chicken on special from Woolies yesterday.  I hope it tastes as good as the first slow raised chicken I had which I bought at Canberra Markets. 

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Three meals from one chicken - what a great cook you are!  I bought a slow raised whole free range chicken on special from Woolies yesterday.  I hope it tastes as good as the first slow raised chicken I had which I bought at Canberra Markets. 

Thanks, Marion, but it's for others to judge my cooking.  I just love the creative satisfaction of producing fare made with good, fresh ingredients.  Last night's chicken was tender and tasty (thanks to the brining and fresh rosemary, sage, bay leaves, thyme and oregano from my garden).  

Do you mean Canberra's Fyshwick markets?  The chicken at the inside corner butchery at the western end sells wonderful chicken.  Even better, and the best I've found in all Canberra, is Southlands Meats at Mawson (a Woden suburb).  The guys there butterfly and debone the chicken when I ring and order it ahead.  I confess it's much more expensive than Woolies or Coles, but the flavour is amazing, and it stretches much, much more than a supermarket offering, although your slow raised one could be similar.  Let us know how it tastes😋

I can usually squeeze three main meals for three adults out of one chicken. First night, roast dinner with all the trimmings, second night chicken with tomato spaghetti sauce, third night hearty chicken and veggie soup (simmered with the carcass) with fresh rolls. And there's usually a few scraps left for the cat and dog to have a small topper on their evening meal.

• Like 1