Now for something completely different

5 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Sir Paul is due to perform on the Gold Coast next weekend (I think it is). Friends live within spitting distance of the stadium and are hoping to be able to at least hear it whilst sitting on their back patio. Apparently that has worked in the past.

Did they buy in the development next to the stadium about 10 years ago?

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Rock and Roll show last night. It starred Jade Hurley, Lucky Starr, Digger Revell, Little Pattie and Dinah Lee🥰.

It was an excellent show although all were, physically, showing their age, 80+ except for little Pattie who is 74. And they can still sing.

I didn't realise that the Civic Theatre had an undercover parking area so I took a photo - below.

IMG_20231105_150400705[1].jpg

Edited by lyndarra
  • Haha 9

3 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I went to the Rock and Roll show last night. It starred Jade Hurley, Lucky Starr, Digger Revell, Little Pattie and Dinah Lee🥰.

It was an excellent show although all were, physically, showing their age, 80+ except for little Pattie who is 74. And they can still sing.

I didn't realise that the Civic Theatre had an undercover parking area so I took a photo - below.

I love it! 

On 10/28/2023 at 5:53 PM, Mareblu said:

Did they buy in the development next to the stadium about 10 years ago?

No, they're on the opposite side of the Nerang Broadbeach Road on the hill. Apparently they heard everything! Awesome.

22 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

No, they're on the opposite side of the Nerang Broadbeach Road on the hill. Apparently they heard everything! Awesome.

Truly awesome.  We seriously considered one of the units in the complex close to the stadium, but were relieved we changed our minds when the car park went up next to the units.  Discounted membership and close proximity to Royal Pines Golf Club was the lure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Crikey, must be lot of cruisers attending ! by the look of those machines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Today is one of those days when I leave my TV off.🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🥱

I just cancelled an appointment which I made when I forgot it was the Melbourne Cup.  I stay glued to the TV all day.  I miss joining all the work sweeps, to increase my chances of getting one of the winners.  I even ran a 5c sweep, with money back for last horse!   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/6/2023 at 10:36 AM, lyndarra said:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!   Even Grumpy cracked a smile.  Thanks for brightening my Sunday.

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2023 at 1:36 PM, lyndarra said:

Hilarious. And that is just the private carpark for the performers.

Looks just like the front of the dining room on Majestic.

• Haha 2

On 11/6/2023 at 1:36 PM, lyndarra said:

My father saw Little Pattie at a show in Newcastle not long before I was born. Olivia Newton John was also on the card, but I am pretty sure he was there mostly for JOK. I am not sure of the venue, but it was in/near Broadmeadow. I have a recollection that there was an old venue called Newcastle Stadium that used to hold these dances, music shows and wrestling matches - quite possibly in the location the Basketball stadium was built a few years later, or inside the showgrounds.

38 minutes ago, arxcards said:

My father saw Little Pattie at a show in Newcastle not long before I was born. Olivia Newton John was also on the card, but I am pretty sure he was there mostly for JOK. I am not sure of the venue, but it was in/near Broadmeadow. I have a recollection that there was an old venue called Newcastle Stadium that used to hold these dances, music shows and wrestling matches - quite possibly in the location the Basketball stadium was built a few years later, or inside the showgrounds.

I remember the old Newcastle Stadium. It  housed the events you mentioned however it used to be where Marketown is now. I only went there a couple of times for ice skating. JOK performed at the stadium.

https://hunterlivinghistories.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/1957-10-02-LittleRichard-RJordan.pdf

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

The Wild One.  Still love his music💜

I was never a JOK fan. I was a child of the surfing movement of the early 60s. The first LP I bought was Bombora by The Atlantics. Then came The Beatles and the rest is history.

I do have one JOK record in my collection, a 10" LP "Johnny's Golden Album". Wild One is one of the tracks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

I was never a JOK fan. I was a child of the surfing movement of the early 60s. The first LP I bought was Bombora by The Atlantics. Then came The Beatles and the rest is history.

I do have one JOK record in my collection, a 10" LP "Johnny's Golden Album". Wild One is one of the tracks.

JOK was a little before my time, but always loved his music.  It was always playing before “my time”, which like you was early 60s!  Then, of course we only listened to The Deltones, The Beach Boys, and yes, The Atlantics.  Think Bronte, Bondi, Coogee surf clubs, and we hung out at all the “stomps”, decked in the uniform:  denim skirts, gingham shirts, duffle coats, rope handled basket bags, and sneakers (desert boots for boys).  My kids fall about in hysterics at some of my old photos😂

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

What is a JOK? 🤔

Jonny O’Keefe, Lyle.  Huge rock singer from late 50s, early 60s.  Had his own rock tv show back in the day.  Troubled soul, as is his brilliant, but also troubled nephew, Andrew.  Andrew’s father and JOK’s brother, Barry, was an esteemed Senior Counsel and Judge.  He was dubbed “The Mild One”.

• Like 1