Now for something completely different

3 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

So now you need to explain for us

The "Hip" are the Tragically Hip who were a very popular Canadian Band. When their lead singer was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer a few years ago they went on one final Canadian tour with all shows sold out and the final one was presented on National TV. April Wine is a band out of Montreal that had quite a lot of success, they still tour but the lead singer has retired in the last year. Trooper is a band out of Vancouver, they have been around since the 70s. They were a big venue band for a few years then spent the last 30 years or so as a club band. Either way they were a fun band and did a great show. The lead singer and lead guitar player came to enjoy the forced time off from Covid and retired from the band. The band continues to perform with new members (with the blessing of the now retired founding members)

Check any of them out you may like their music.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I remember the old Newcastle Stadium. It  housed the events you mentioned however it used to be where Marketown is now. I only went there a couple of times for ice skating. JOK performed at the stadium.

https://hunterlivinghistories.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/1957-10-02-LittleRichard-RJordan.pdf

Thank you. I will read up on your link.

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Jonny O’Keefe, Lyle.  Huge rock singer from late 50s, early 60s.  Had his own rock tv show back in the day.  Troubled soul, as is his brilliant, but also troubled nephew, Andrew.  Andrew’s father and JOK’s brother, Barry, was an esteemed Senior Counsel and Judge.  He was dubbed “The Mild One”.

And to add, Johnny's daughter VO'K still has the odd gig from time to time. She was quite a talent too, but there was a big shadow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Jonny O’Keefe, Lyle.  Huge rock singer from late 50s, early 60s.  Had his own rock tv show back in the day.  Troubled soul, as is his brilliant, but also troubled nephew, Andrew.  Andrew’s father and JOK’s brother, Barry, was an esteemed Senior Counsel and Judge.  He was dubbed “The Mild One”.

I saw JOK perform in a pub at Warrnambool in the early 70s. It was quite a gig, with all ages there including some ladies who brought out their knitting while waiting for JOK to come on. 🤣 Never seen anything like it before and probably never will again. 

• Haha 2

I just went on to you tube for Jonny. I don't think I would have been a big fan, he reminds me of Bobby Darin. I was born after Buddy Holly died and only discovered his music from the Buddy Holly story movie. I definitely would have been a Buddy Holly fan.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

More to decipher in that beauty than in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

It's a line from "American Pie" a song by Don McLean, referring to the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly as "the day the music died" I think in many ways it was.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

Just now, Mareblu said:

Oh yes, I was referring to the fact that so many have tried to decipher its messages.  “Miss American Pie”, it’s agreed, is Marilyn Munro (or Norma Jean).  I love that piece, but it tends to become an earworm.

Just now, Mareblu said:
Just now, Mareblu said:

Oh yes, I was referring to the fact that so many have tried to decipher its messages.  “Miss American Pie”, it’s agreed, is Marilyn Munro (or Norma Jean).  I love that piece, but it tends to become an earworm.

Every time I try to edit, I post twice.  Sorry🙄

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I just went on to you tube for Jonny. I don't think I would have been a big fan, he reminds me of Bobby Darin. I was born after Buddy Holly died and only discovered his music from the Buddy Holly story movie. I definitely would have been a Buddy Holly fan.

The aging and fading star was rather pop like. His halcyon days were more Rock n Roll, both in sound and attitude. That said, he was a big fish in what was a pretty small pond.

12 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The aging and fading star was rather pop like. His halcyon days were more Rock n Roll, both in sound and attitude. That said, he was a big fish in what was a pretty small pond.

He was only 41-42!  Mick and Paul may have reason to take issue with you😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

He was only 41-42!  Mick and Paul may have reason to take issue with you😂

He was the wild one for sure, but it only applied to his music till he was 30. Mockingbird, wears my ring etc are merely pop ballads.

• Like 1

So I managed to bring up POSH on Julie's thread and rather than run amok over there let's discuss it here.

Years ago in discussion with some seafaring friends I was told it meant Port Out Starboard Home. My memory isn't what it used to be. One recollection was travelling from Great Britain to the Raj that would put you on the shady side both ways. I guess it depends on winter or summer. Of course who on earth from GB would willingly go to the Raj in summer.

As for the chat we started in Julies thread @lyndarra, cruising POSH from New York to Rotterdam and back in summer would put you on the sunny side.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So I managed to bring up POSH on Julie's thread and rather than run amok over there let's discuss it here.

Years ago in discussion with some seafaring friends I was told it meant Port Out Starboard Home. My memory isn't what it used to be. One recollection was travelling from Great Britain to the Raj that would put you on the shady side both ways. I guess it depends on winter or summer. Of course who on earth from GB would willingly go to the Raj in summer.

Sailing from Great Britain to India portside outbound and starboard return would have you on the land side both ways. The other side would always be just views of the ocean.

As for your summer travelling comment, "mad dogs and Englishmen" comes to mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

Sailing from Great Britain to India portside outbound and starboard return would have you on the land side both ways. The other side would always be just views of the ocean.

As for your summer travelling comment, "mad dogs and Englishmen" comes to mind.

There is that but I think there was something about shade. 

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

There is that but I think there was something about shade. 

True. Though the whole story, whether shade of view, is disputed. Origin could be old derivation of a word for money/coin and lack of. But I like the sailing ship tale better 🙂

• Thanks 1

It is the shady side both ways, people didn't  want the sun, as it would be too stifling.

A popular folk etymology holds that the term is an acronym for "port out, starboard home", describing the cooler, north-facing cabins taken by the most aristocratic or rich passengers travelling from Britain to India and back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

@lyndarra Sloe Gin is an interesting libation that really doesn't taste like gin at all and has a much lower alcohol content. I don't normally drink gin either but Sloe Gin really isn't bad. I haven't had any in about 40 years. 

Hahaha, reminds me of a time at work. For a localised group of us in the office, one day at about 4pm the boss announced that we were going to down screens and have gin and tonics. About 2 or 3 of us, me included, said "oh I don't like gin". She went ahead and made the drinks anyway (long ones with Blue Sapphire) - it was delicious, she must have had the knack for getting the ratios just right 🍹 

• Like 1