Now for something completely different

Good games against the Canadian women, congrats on the 2 wins. Sinclair is, was a great player.

The Matildas were trying a few different things in these games,

The first game was very inexperienced as individuals as well as being a team. Blooding young and new players at the higher levels is hard and that was obvious in their play.

The second was more experienced but they were playing a different structure and style, this made them seem as if they lacked attacking prowess and motivation, they all seemed rather tired.

In any case, they are working towards the Olympics and while some of the build up is puzzling, the coach is ans has been doing a great job getting the Tillies up for tournaments.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Good games against the Canadian women, congrats on the 2 wins. Sinclair is, was a great player.

The Matildas were trying a few different things in these games,

The first game was very inexperienced as individuals as well as being a team. Blooding young and new players at the higher levels is hard and that was obvious in their play.

The second was more experienced but they were playing a different structure and style, this made them seem as if they lacked attacking prowess and motivation, they all seemed rather tired.

In any case, they are working towards the Olympics and while some of the build up is puzzling, the coach is ans has been doing a great job getting the Tillies up for tournaments.

Spot on.

Thanks Mic. I don't really follow football, it was more about Christine leaving team Canada. I believe she will play one more year with the Portland Thorns in the National Women's Super League. Hopefully team Canada will continue to play at a high level even without her leadership on the pitch. It was a poignant moment when she left the pitch and passed the Captain's arm band to another player. While football is becoming more popular here I dare say the only reason these games sold out in short order was because Christine was retiring. Actual attendance last night was more than 48,000.

Hopefully these matches were beneficial to both sides as they prepare for the Olympics.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Mic. I don't really follow football, it was more about Christine leaving team Canada. I believe she will play one more year with the Portland Thorns in the National Women's Super League. Hopefully team Canada will continue to play at a high level even without her leadership on the pitch. It was a poignant moment when she left the pitch and passed the Captain's arm band to another player. While football is becoming more popular here I dare say the only reason these games sold out in short order was because Christine was retiring. Actual attendance last night was more than 48,000.

Hopefully these matches were beneficial to both sides as they prepare for the Olympics.

Yes, our coach said while the scorelines of the games were not wins, the results of the games answered a lot of questions on both the players used and in particular positions as well as the style of play. So time will tell if that converts into a better squad performance. I do know that teams that rely to heavily on a few high performing players, suffer greatly when they are not there on the field due to injury or retirement.

• Like 3

@possum52 Hi Leigh, I was reminded in another thread that you are from Warnambool. While we were on our east coast adventure we met a very nice lady from there. We have of course added a stop there in our road trip plan; we were going to be in the general area anyway. Her name is Robyn Logan and wouldn't it be a "small world" moment if you happened to know her.

It is nice to see from that other thread that an American actually took the time to research a long land trip and was able to enjoy so many parts of OZ. I'm afraid that we won't be able to see as much as they did but I'm really starting to dislike flying so we will be covering what we can on the ground and I'm not sure Lynn would want to be away from home for 8 weeks.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

@possum52 Hi Leigh, I was reminded in another thread that you are from Warnambool. While we were on our east coast adventure we met a very nice lady from there. We have of course added a stop there in our road trip plan; we were going to be in the general area anyway. Her name is Robyn Logan and wouldn't it be a "small world" moment if you happened to know her.

It is nice to see from that other thread that an American actually took the time to research a long land trip and was able to enjoy so many parts of OZ. I'm afraid that we won't be able to see as much as they did but I'm really starting to dislike flying so we will be covering what we can on the ground and I'm not sure Lynn would want to be away from home for 8 weeks.

We once did an around Australia business class trip by air on 30,000 points.  Wished I'd used my points in that fashion more often, as their value has depreciated big time since then.  It was a great way to cover the long distances in Australia.  Sydney - Cairns - Thursday Island - Ayres Rock - Broome - Perth - Sydney.  I had a further flight booked back to Brisbane, but I used another airline for my husband from Sydney to Brisbane.  That airline went under, so it was cheaper for us to hire a car form Sydney, stop overnight at Port Macquarie, to Brisbane.  I got every leg of the journey because I booked tickets the day they became available.  That was my choice, but you could make bookings of flights to places you want to visit.  Then you can use the places as hubs, eg from Cairns we visited the beautiful Daintree and Cape Tribulation, Atherton Tableland, Innisfail (Italian Festival) and Mission Beach, a tropical paradise where we saw a mother and baby Cassowary cross the road.

Planning is half the fun!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

No, I don't know the name Lyle. But I will ask my father and brother and some cousins who still live there. Of course, if she is married, I may know her by her maiden name and depending on her age we may be different generations. I left Warrnambool in April 1974 to make my home in Melbourne, not long after Rob and I were married. But we still make numerous trips each year to see my father and brother.

• Like 2

I'm keeping watch on the fires at Duck(!) Creek. It's about 30ks up the road from my son's place near Dandry, close to the Pilliga Pottery.

I've just put my cars under cover as a thunderstorm is rolling in from the NW.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I'm keeping watch on the fires at Duck(!) Creek. It's about 30ks up the road from my son's place near Dandry, close to the Pilliga Pottery.

I've just put my cars under cover as a thunderstorm is rolling in from the NW.

We have one heading our way too.  Hope the fires abate and will be well with your son.

spoke with my brother again this morning.  Cairns and the entire region is absolutely inundated.  They haven’t fared  too badly because they are on a high hill looking down towards Trinity Beach and Palm Cove, but they have never known rain like it.  My brother’s rain gauge has measured 1.4 metres (!) since last Tuesday, but it has overflowed a few times, so probably much more.  The road to Port Douglas is blocked by a massive boulder estimated to weigh in excess of 200 tonnes.  It fell away from the mountain above.  It will have to be blasted for removal as it’s just too heavy for any machinery. Our prayers and thoughts for all the people of the far north.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

We have one heading our way too.  Hope the fires abate and will be well with your son.

spoke with my brother again this morning.  Cairns and the entire region is absolutely inundated.  They haven’t fared  too badly because they are on a high hill looking down towards Trinity Beach and Palm Cove, but they have never known rain like it.  My brother’s rain gauge has measured 1.4 metres (!) since last Tuesday, but it has overflowed a few times, so probably much more.  The road to Port Douglas is blocked by a massive boulder estimated to weigh in excess of 200 tonnes.  It fell away from the mountain above.  It will have to be blasted for removal as it’s just too heavy for any machinery. Our prayers and thoughts for all the people of the far north.

Also with everyone who is/may be affected by the fires. Please stay safe.

• Like 2

I remember torrential rain in North Queensland in my youth.  We travelled north every year on the Sunlander.  We used to travel by car to Seaforth to be picked up by my great uncle in his tinnie to be taken across to his island (Newry Island).  My fear was we would get caught on flooded roads and not make it to the Island (paradise).  Once we got on the island it didn't matter, as the torrential rain on an iron roof was music to my ears.

My aunt lived in Mackay.  I had never seen such enormous gutters.  King tides and torrential rain were to be expected in summer.  We always left Mackay early in January before the summer school holidays finished, so we didn't get caught on flooded train lines.   

Rain, or at least showers, some heavy, for Xmas in NZ 🙁. It's been dry in the north for a good while now so we do need it. The beginning of the bands of showers arrived last night, a decent amount of rain, so that's helped a lot 💦 Shame for those planning a beach or outdoor Christmas 🤶 

• Like 4

Fond wishes and thoughts to all on this thread (my favourite) from our home to yours.  Double that to Lyle and Lyn across the Pacific, who started it all.

xx Linda and Mario

🙏🏻🎄🎉🎅🧑‍🎄🍀🌟

Edited by Mareblu
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Thanks so much for your kind words Linda & Mario, I'm so happy you enjoy this thread. We have come to know so many nice people through this thread and we want to meet as many as we can when we finally get there.

Best of the season to everyone, Lynn & I are having "Christmas Dinner" on our Christmas Eve so being a day behind we'll be doing it on Aussie time.😉

• Like 9

On 12/12/2023 at 1:34 AM, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Leigh, I remembered you still had family there. It was just interesting to meet someone from your old home town while on a cruise on the east coast of Canada. 

Lyle, I checked with my family, but no-one knows Robyn. Warrnambool is a city of 35,000 plus so it is not surprising they don't know her.  

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Lyle, I checked with my family, but no-one knows Robyn. Warrnambool is a city of 35,000 plus so it is not surprising they don't know her.  

Thanks Leigh, I think I mentioned it before I realized Warrnambool was that big. I feel a little goofy bringing it up. But it would have been a real small world situation if you did know her.

• Like 1