Now for something completely different

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We had snags for supper. The plate fillers are beetroot, a jacket potato and some pickled cauliflower. 

Pickled cauli sounds nice but then I am a vego so that probably explains it.  

1 minute ago, Bubbeh said:

Pickled cauli sounds nice but then I am a vego so that probably explains it.  

I really like it. We get it in the Bicks brand sweet mixed pickles. There are a few pieces in the jar and a few onions along with mostly crinkle cut cucumbers about 12mm thick rounds.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I really like it. We get it in the Bicks brand sweet mixed pickles. There are a few pieces in the jar and a few onions along with mostly crinkle cut cucumbers about 12mm thick rounds.

Aha, now you've lost me.  I've drunk far too much dry wine and whiskey to enjoy sweet anythings.  Indeed, if I found out I'd killed my sweet taste buddies I wouldn't be surprised.

18 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Aha, now you've lost me.  I've drunk far too much dry wine and whiskey to enjoy sweet anythings.  Indeed, if I found out I'd killed my sweet taste buddies I wouldn't be surprised.

Well you'll have to come up and give them a try 😉 we usually have a jar in the fridge.

• Like 1

So there may be a new wrinkle in the down under adventure. With my increased disinterest in flying and Lynn isn't that keen either we are looking at changing the itinerary. As it turns out the cruise we have booked is the last of the season for Westerdam, she is leaving from Sydney and heading back north with some interesting stops along the way. It's a 29 day voyage and she stops in Victoria before finishing in Seattle (gee I wonder where we're getting off). This looks like an elegant solution to the long haul flight issue. We are looking at the costs now, it will obviously cost more than flying but hey we don't have to pay for the flight home. We also have to look at as how much would a separate vacation to Fiji and the other ports on this cruise? And let's not forget the flights involved for such a trip.

So I think our 14 day cruise will probably turn into a 43 day cruise, and the road trip which was goin to happen before the cruise will actually happen before the cruise. Hopefully people will still be home in late February, early March 2025. Maybe some of you may decide the Sydney to Seattle itinerary is interesting and we could be ship mates. It's all up in the air right now but I think we are probably going to make this a true down under adventure, with many interesting stops on the way home.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So there may be a new wrinkle in the down under adventure. With my increased disinterest in flying and Lynn isn't that keen either we are looking at changing the itinerary. As it turns out the cruise we have booked is the last of the season for Westerdam, she is leaving from Sydney and heading back north with some interesting stops along the way. It's a 29 day voyage and she stops in Victoria before finishing in Seattle (gee I wonder where we're getting off). This looks like an elegant solution to the long haul flight issue. We are looking at the costs now, it will obviously cost more than flying but hey we don't have to pay for the flight home. We also have to look at as how much would a separate vacation to Fiji and the other ports on this cruise? And let's not forget the flights involved for such a trip.

So I think our 14 day cruise will probably turn into a 43 day cruise, and the road trip which was goin to happen before the cruise will actually happen before the cruise. Hopefully people will still be home in late February, early March 2025. Maybe some of you may decide the Sydney to Seattle itinerary is interesting and we could be ship mates. It's all up in the air right now but I think we are probably going to make this a true down under adventure, with many interesting stops on the way home.

That seems an exciting agenda, Lisle😃

51 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

That seems an exciting agenda, Lisle😃

It almost seems a no brainer, frankly the air travel part is very much starting to affect our interest in travel. I think this may be a last hurrah for us travel wise, although there is always Alaska or maybe a ship repositioning to the east coast via the panama canal and ending in Montreal or Quebec City. We could take the train home from there (another thing we have thought would be good.)

28 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It almost seems a no brainer, frankly the air travel part is very much starting to affect our interest in travel. I think this may be a last hurrah for us travel wise, although there is always Alaska or maybe a ship repositioning to the east coast via the panama canal and ending in Montreal or Quebec City. We could take the train home from there (another thing we have thought would be good.)

Never say never, the "last" is usually the first in a series of lasts 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I know what you mean. We really struggled with the flights to and from Japan last year and we were flying business class. Mind you we had two short overnight flights, Singapore - Haneda and Singapore - Sydney, both too short to get any decent sleep especially with the weird angles of the seats in flat mode. I think I preferred the older style seats. They may not have reclined fully flat but at least you were lying straight instead of like a pretzel!

We're hoping we have one more overseas trip left in us as we want to go to Europe in 2025. If we do I shall make sure we don't have any short overnight flights even if it means transiting in the Middle East or stopping over somewhere for the night.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I know what you mean. We really struggled with the flights to and from Japan last year and we were flying business class. Mind you we had two short overnight flights, Singapore - Haneda and Singapore - Sydney, both too short to get any decent sleep especially with the weird angles of the seats in flat mode. I think I preferred the older style seats. They may not have reclined fully flat but at least you were lying straight instead of like a pretzel!

We're hoping we have one more overseas trip left in us as we want to go to Europe in 2025. If we do I shall make sure we don't have any short overnight flights even if it means transiting in the Middle East or stopping over somewhere for the night.

Who were you flying with? I've not come across what you describe with flat seat/beds and I am taller than the average bloke.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Who were you flying with? I've not come across what you describe with flat seat/beds and I am taller than the average bloke.

Singapore Airlines.

On the A380 they give you a seat cover, duvet and pillow. The footwell was off to one side, in my case my right, which meant you had to lie at a very odd angle. Even sitting with feet up was not quite comfortable. You had to stand up to set the seat into flat mode and put the seat cover on, then wriggle back into the seat.

The Boeing 777 had the footwell on the other side and the angle wasn't quite as awkward especially for sitting. However with this plane you had to get the flight attendant to convert the seat to a bed as the back of the seat folded down. 

In the past (ten years ago or so) the seats were staggered in the rows ie in the middle section the two seats were right next to each other on one row but the seats in the next row were closer to the aisle, and so on. So the footwell was always directly in front of the seat. But I don't think those seats reclined fully flat. They were more comfortable though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2024 at 5:57 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Do you get anything like this in your neighbourhood?

giard.thumb.jpg.30e3af433eeb0bc01ef2a0bf6853ad74.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Singapore Airlines.

On the A380 they give you a seat cover, duvet and pillow. The footwell was off to one side, in my case my right, which meant you had to lie at a very odd angle. Even sitting with feet up was not quite comfortable. You had to stand up to set the seat into flat mode and put the seat cover on, then wriggle back into the seat.

The Boeing 777 had the footwell on the other side and the angle wasn't quite as awkward especially for sitting. However with this plane you had to get the flight attendant to convert the seat to a bed as the back of the seat folded down. 

In the past (ten years ago or so) the seats were staggered in the rows ie in the middle section the two seats were right next to each other on one row but the seats in the next row were closer to the aisle, and so on. So the footwell was always directly in front of the seat. But I don't think those seats reclined fully flat. They were more comfortable though.

Julie, we choose SA because we consider their BC the most comfortable and relaxing service we’ve tried, and there have been many.  I’ve never had to stand to adjust the seat, it’s all at the touch of a finger.  Yes, the full stretch foot area is slightly offset, but nowhere that of Cathay. Lufthansa, etc.  SA’s service is impeccable, and it is consistently rated the best or close  to best BC for so many reasons.  When I step into that sublime ambience, I feel I’ve come home.  We don’t travel and cruise nearly as often as so many CC friends, but when we  do, we would rather do it infrequently, and comfortably.  We’re at the age now that if it’s not almost as relaxing snd comfortable as home, we’re staying home.

10 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Julie, we choose SA because we consider their BC the most comfortable and relaxing service we’ve tried, and there have been many.  I’ve never had to stand to adjust the seat, it’s all at the touch of a finger.  Yes, the full stretch foot area is slightly offset, but nowhere that of Cathay. Lufthansa, etc.  SA’s service is impeccable, and it is consistently rated the best or close  to best BC for so many reasons.  When I step into that sublime ambience, I feel I’ve come home.  We don’t travel and cruise nearly as often as so many CC friends, but when we  do, we would rather do it infrequently, and comfortably.  We’re at the age now that if it’s not almost as relaxing snd comfortable as home, we’re staying home.

I agree the service and meals were excellent but I had real problems with those seats. On the way over I ended up pulling a muscle in my back which didn't come right until I paid for an extremely expensive (and extremely good) massage about two weeks later on the Regent cruise.

It wasn't so much adjusting the seat that was the problem, it was putting the seat cover on. That's impossible to do until the seat is extended and you're not sitting on it. 

In some ways I was disappointed. I'd been really looking forward to a comfy trip to and from Japan but it just wasn't what I expected. Part of that was the very short overnight flights, especially the one coming home where they did a full course meal service at the start of a 6 hour flight, then started serving a refreshment about 90 minutes before landing. Since I'm a very light sleeper I can't really get to sleep until the plane quietens down, even with earplugs, so I only got about 2 hours of uncomfortable sleep on that flight.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I agree the service and meals were excellent but I had real problems with those seats. On the way over I ended up pulling a muscle in my back which didn't come right until I paid for an extremely expensive (and extremely good) massage about two weeks later on the Regent cruise.

It wasn't so much adjusting the seat that was the problem, it was putting the seat cover on. That's impossible to do until the seat is extended and you're not sitting on it. 

Yes, I agree with the initial bed setting.  The attendants always kindly do that for me.  After that, I adjust it to sitting up, reclining, or back to flat bed myself with a simple touch. I have osteoarthritis to a degree that I have a knee and a finger joint replacement, and my spinal discs are not great, and because of this, my only ailments, thankfully at my age, I have had to reluctantly give up golf after many enjoyable years.  I also have, because of disc compression, occasional bouts of severe sciatica.  SA seats and beds are very kind to me (so far😂) after nearly thirty years of travelling on them.  It would be physically impossible to return to the days of economy class, even though  that would be the financially sensible choice.  Last year we chose Cathay because its BC was just over half the fare of SA, but we regretted it all the way to London and back.

12 hours ago, arxcards said:

Do you get anything like this in your neighbourhood?

giard.thumb.jpg.30e3af433eeb0bc01ef2a0bf6853ad74.jpg

I get those, I just chuck the olives, hate them.  The Giardiniera are great with some cheddar cheese and continental meats.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Yes, I agree with the initial bed setting.  The attendants always kindly do that for me.  After that, I adjust it to sitting up, reclining, or back to flat bed myself with a simple touch. I have osteoarthritis to a degree that I have a knee and a finger joint replacement, and my spinal discs are not great, and because of this, my only ailments, thankfully at my age, I have had to reluctantly give up golf after many enjoyable years.  I also have, because of disc compression, occasional bouts of severe sciatica.  SA seats and beds are very kind to me (so far😂) after nearly thirty years of travelling on them.  It would be physically impossible to return to the days of economy class, even though  that would be the financially sensible choice.  Last year we chose Cathay because its BC was just over half the fare of SA, but we regretted it all the way to London and back.

It was strange - the first A380 (Sydney to Singapore) had very hard seats. So much so that I had a sore bottom at the end of the flight. But the one coming home seemed to have a much more comfortable seat, apart from the angle of the footwell.

I've got a wonky knee which acts up at times, just damage from sports when I was young, but it can get painful at times especially in cramped conditions.

With the likely change of plan we are looking at our options for flights. I think we will probably fly direct Vancouver to Sydney in Qantas premium economy. It seems like the way to go. We would arrive in Oz mid February 2025; that would give us about 4 weeks in OZ before the cruise.

I'm wondering about the hire car, my original thought was a one way rental (pick up the car in Sydney and leave it in Melbourne) now I wonder if we should plan a round trip. I know we want to meet up with as many CC friends as we can. So Lake Macquarie, the blue mountains, Canberra, and Melbourne are already on the list. We also have someone we would like to visit in Warrnambool. I am aware that this a rather ambitious route to complete on the road in 4 weeks. especially if we do a round trip to Sydney.

Is a one way car hire possible? Especially when we are leaving the car in a different state?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

With the likely change of plan we are looking at our options for flights. I think we will probably fly direct Vancouver to Sydney in Qantas premium economy. It seems like the way to go. We would arrive in Oz mid February 2025; that would give us about 4 weeks in OZ before the cruise.

I'm wondering about the hire car, my original thought was a one way rental (pick up the car in Sydney and leave it in Melbourne) now I wonder if we should plan a round trip. I know we want to meet up with as many CC friends as we can. So Lake Macquarie, the blue mountains, Canberra, and Melbourne are already on the list. We also have someone we would like to visit in Warrnambool. I am aware that this a rather ambitious route to complete on the road in 4 weeks. especially if we do a round trip to Sydney.

Is a one way car hire possible? Especially when we are leaving the car in a different state?

Coincidence!  I have just finished booking our one-way car for Canberra-Sydney before our flight in April.  We are returning car later the same day to Sydney Airport.  We will stay overnight at an Airport hotel, and repeat the exercise when we return after our trip.  It's certainly possible, as we are doing it like we have done many times before.  It's much more expensive, though, to return to a different location.  It is a reluctant, but preferable expense for us, because when we travel, we go for long periods, and we have a lot of luggage.  Bus and train are alternatives, but luggage makes the trip awkward.  We have tried it, and have returned to the door-to-door convenience of car rental, as the rental depot is right next to Rydges Hotel, where we stay. 

Interstate? yes.  Canberra is in the Australian Capital Territory, and Sydney is in New South Wales.  Melbourne to Sydney, or any other state capital city would be the same, Lisle.  We are doing the same in the UK:  pick up Edinburgh Airport, and return several weeks later to Southampton.  Again, there is a surcharge for returning to a different location.

Australians would not consider your planned itinerary ambitious to complete in four weeks.  Like Canada, it's a vast and diverse country, and we are used to distances.  We reach Sydney from here in 3-1/2 hours, Melbourne is 7-9 hours with comfort and rest stops.

We are so looking forward to meeting you and Lynne.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I get those, I just chuck the olives, hate them.  The Giardiniera are great with some cheddar cheese and continental meats.

Our first point of difference, Les🙂.  I love olives, to the point of your description of "lubbly jubbly".  I also like to make my own pickles to be used on the same day (not really into preserving.  All you need is the right vegetable (zucchini, beetroot, cauliflower, cucumber all good) and an equal mix of salt and sweetener in a good vinegar.  To that I add garden herbs for flavour, let stand for an hour or so, then drain and serve.  Deliciously crispy, and packed with tangy flavour.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

One way car hire is possible but usually more expensive.

Four weeks is plenty of time to do the round trip ex Sydney. Lake Macquarie and the Blue Mountains are just day trips from Sydney. Then you could go to Canberra which is just over 3 hours drive, stay 2 nights minimum, then on to Melbourne on the Hume Highway (7 hours). After a few days in Melbourne you should do the Great Ocean Rd down to Warrnambool then cut inland and come back via Ballarat or vice versa, so maybe 3-4 days for this. Finally travel back to Sydney along the coastal route allowing you to stop at Bateman's Bay - I'd allow three days for this including one night at Bateman's Bay, more if you want to explore along the way. There's about 10 days actual travel in that leaving plenty of extra days for Sydney, Melbourne, and anywhere else you want to stop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Mareblu, in the original plan we were doing a one way car hire but really didn't get into the details of that one aspect of the trip (they got cancelled so far in advance). I think we would probably do better with a one way. Fly in to Sydney, do the road trip, see as much as we can without being hurried. So often we try to pack so much into our trips for fear of missing something, that we really don't see anything. We need to make the stops long enough for a nice visit without wearing out our welcome 😉.

• Like 2

Julie's suggestion is a good one, to be modified as you see fit.  For your comfortable convenience, we have homes with spare bedrooms here in Canberra, and at Batemans Bay.  It would be our pleasure to welcome you.

Seems like cruise ships aren't the only ones nickel and dime-ing! Just saw this on a news feed.

I don't think even P&O have sunk quite this low!!image.png.6e9575f7d4859dcc9b16db66f56c6e21.png

image.png.6e9575f7d4859dcc9b16db66f56c6e21.png

On 1/7/2024 at 11:43 AM, Blackduck59 said:

So I think our 14 day cruise will probably turn into a 43 day cruise, and the road trip which was goin to happen before the cruise will actually happen before the cruise. Hopefully people will still be home in late February, early March 2025. ....... It's all up in the air right now but I think we are probably going to make this a true down under adventure, with many interesting stops on the way home.

Sounds like a plan mate. Sure hope to catch up with you here in Sydney at that time.

• Thanks 1