Now for something completely different

28 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I usually just pan fry them with some butter or olive oil, a bit of garlic is nice too and sometimes I'll put in some parsley and/or dill. A bit of lemon is nice too.

Thanks.  Will try that next time I see them for sale fresh.  

I had whitebait in NZ once which was delicious.  

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks.  Will try that next time I see them for sale fresh.  

I had whitebait in NZ once which was delicious.  

NZ whitebait is very yummy but too many places make whitebait "omelettes" instead of whitebait fritters so the delicate flavour is overpowered by the egg. My method is to make up a basic fritter batter then add just enough of it to the whitebait to bind it together. That way you get the full whitebait flavour.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

NZ whitebait is very yummy but too many places make whitebait "omelettes" instead of whitebait fritters so the delicate flavour is overpowered by the egg. My method is to make up a basic fritter batter then add just enough of it to the whitebait to bind it together. That way you get the full whitebait flavour.

That is how the whitebait was in NZ - yummy.

52 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That is how the whitebait was in NZ - yummy.

I don't like eating the head and eyes. Have had whitebait a few times. Does anybody decapitate the whitebait before serving/eating?

th (1).jpg

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

NZ whitebait is quite different to Australian whitebait. The fish are tiny, not much bigger than a beansprout and they are very soft. They don't really work individually fried like the Aussie ones.

Sometimes you'll see Chinese whitebait in Australian fish shops.  NZ whitebait is like that only nicer.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

I don't like eating the head and eyes. Have had whitebait a few times. Does anybody decapitate the whitebait before serving/eating?

th (1).jpg

th.jpg

Can recommend a whitebait fritter sandwich. Had some at a roadside stall on the west coast road somewhere near Fox or Franz Josef glacier. Very tasty.

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Can recommend a whitebait fritter sandwich. Had some at a roadside stall on the west coast road somewhere near Fox or Franz Josef glacier. Very tasty.

Complete with heads and eyes? 

6 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Yep, and in a sandwich you can't them and they can't see you.😄

Aaaagh. I remember I had the whitebait once and cut the heads off, no wonder people thought me mad.🥵

12 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Key word Les Whitebait, we use bait to catch the fish you want to eat.

Yes, whitebait is good burley for fishing. I take it you are not a lover of whitebait, Lyle? 

The moggies like it, good on them. I bet Capt Kate's Bug Naked likes it too, probably prepared by the Executive Chef on Celebrity, lol.

prod-pouch-tuna-fillet.png

Edited by NSWP

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I wouldn't know about whitebait Les but tiny fish that are eaten whole just don't appeal to me. Like I said string the little fish on a hook and perhaps the big fish would think it a tasty snack, viola real food.

NZ whitebait doesn't really look like a fish, more like a beansprout with two black dots at one end. Probably too small to string on a hook.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

NZ whitebait doesn't really look like a fish, more like a beansprout with two black dots at one end. Probably too small to string on a hook.

I saw them on an episode of Kai Safari, I think I will pass on the whitebait.