Divina vs Seaside YC

LorraineP

We have done the Seaside YC & absolutely loved every part of it, completely spoiled. Not wanting to fly anymore (too much of a hassle) I noticed the Divina is doing a 10 night cruise from NYC in September 2021 to Bermuda & their private island. Would I be disappointed in the Divina YC? I realize the private restaurant is at the opposite end of ship unlike Seaside. Thoughts appreciated. Also when is the Divina going into dry dock?

We've been in YC on Divina and Seaside. The layout of YC on Seaside is preferable, the open plan TSL and restaurant, with the outdoor seating area of TSL, we absolutely loved that area. The buffet area at the One Pool is also larger and more extensive.

I wouldn't be disappointed sailing in Divina YC after Seaside but I'd probably be aware of the differences and recognise that it's different. I don't want to describe it as inferior because YC is far from inferior as an experience but my personal opionion is that how the YC layout has evolved is very positive. The flow works better, everything is within an immediate radius.

I think you'd observe the Seaside layout is better if you were to sail Divina but wouldn't expect you to be disappointed.

I hope that makes some sense.

4 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

We've been in YC on Divina and Seaside. The layout of YC on Seaside is preferable, the open plan TSL and restaurant, with the outdoor seating area of TSL, we absolutely loved that area. The buffet area at the One Pool is also larger and more extensive.

I wouldn't be disappointed sailing in Divina YC after Seaside but I'd probably be aware of the differences and recognise that it's different. I don't want to describe it as inferior because YC is far from inferior as an experience but my personal opionion is that how the YC layout has evolved is very positive. The flow works better, everything is within an immediate radius.

I think you'd observe the Seaside layout is better if you were to sail Divina but wouldn't expect you to be disappointed.

I hope that makes some sense.

Makes sense thank you. What did you think about Top Sail Lounge on Divina, on the Seaside it was spectacular. 

We loved it, although now having been on Seaside I'd not describe it as, being as spectacular. On Seaside you have the full height panoramic glass, where on Divina it's a two thirds window. Divina wouldn't feel as open as Seaside as it has a ceiling rather than the mezzanine for the restaurant.  However, I would say the Divina TSL is more initimate. We did notice that with the restaurant being in the TSL on Seaside that it was busier. We like quiet but even for us it could sometimes be very quiet.

Divina was our first YC experience and we had a fabulous time, as we did on her sister ships with the same layout. Now having been on Seaside I know I would make direct comparisons if we sailed on her again, which Seaside would win.

We've swapped between class of ship and you do compare, we went from Preziosa YC (Divina layout) to the smaller Orchestra, no YC and older & less glitzy. Initially I'd compare but then move on to enjoying my trip.

Would I sail on Divina again, yes, Do I think I'd enjoy it, yes. Do I think Seaside is a better ship, yes.

Apologies, I've waffled on a bit there 😆

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 7:39 PM, LorraineP said:

We have done the Seaside YC & absolutely loved every part of it, completely spoiled. Not wanting to fly anymore (too much of a hassle) I noticed the Divina is doing a 10 night cruise from NYC in September 2021 to Bermuda & their private island. Would I be disappointed in the Divina YC? I realize the private restaurant is at the opposite end of ship unlike Seaside. Thoughts appreciated. Also when is the Divina going into dry dock?

If you don't wish to fly due to hassles, consider Amtrak from Philadelphia.  We've taken Amtrak from NC to Florida several times and enjoyed it.  No security hassles, no cramped seating, etc.  It's an overnight trip, so get a sleeper room - you don't want to try to sleep in a coach seat!  We plan to use Amtrak again for our October 2020 Seaside cruise (if it actually sails, that is).

1 hour ago, bobndee said:

If you don't wish to fly due to hassles, consider Amtrak from Philadelphia.  We've taken Amtrak from NC to Florida several times and enjoyed it.  No security hassles, no cramped seating, etc.  It's an overnight trip, so get a sleeper room - you don't want to try to sleep in a coach seat!  We plan to use Amtrak again for our October 2020 Seaside cruise (if it actually sails, that is).

Will not work, too much luggage for train. Usually when we flew we would do B2B or side to side. 

According to the Amtrak web site:

Each passenger may bring two personal items, 25 lbs. (12 kg) and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each, and two carry-on items, 50 lbs. (23 kg) and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each, onboard.

In addition, each traveler can check up to 4 bags (2 free and 2 at $20 per bag).

2 Bags Free
Up to 50 lbs. and 75 linear inches*

2 Additional Bags
$20 each

Oversized Baggage (76-100 linear inches*)
$20 each

1 minute ago, bobndee said:

According to the Amtrak web site:

Each passenger may bring two personal items, 25 lbs. (12 kg) and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each, and two carry-on items, 50 lbs. (23 kg) and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each, onboard.

In addition, each traveler can check up to 4 bags (2 free and 2 at $20 per bag).

2 Bags Free
Up to 50 lbs. and 75 linear inches*

2 Additional Bags
$20 each

Oversized Baggage (76-100 linear inches*)
$20 each

Will have to look into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, we have cancelled both of our Seaside YC cruises (one for end of June and the other one early Sept) and now are considering the Divina out of NYC for Oct. 2021 or Seashore TA from BCN to Miami (Nov. 2021).  My husband likes to smoke cigar while on cruise vacation and it was limited on the Seaside, the Divina seem to have that option if they do not take it out during dry dock...

I liked that in the seaside, the YC was just there -- meaning, restaurant, pool, TSL, and cabins all in the same enclave.

Planning to do Divina next August, as the price of the YC was at least $3000 cheaper for a family of four, so for $3000, I'm willing to walk to the restaurant.

With that being said, I see that the YC2 cabins are not in the enclave but more space.