Where does Oceania stand with cancellations?

ChappChapp

1 hour ago, ChappChapp said:

Article posted on Yahoo today from Barrons reports the cruise industry is burning thru cash and that the liquidty is 5 months for Norwegian. However another, article forget where it was ,said Norwegian was better positioned to weather this than Carnival or Royal . Makes you crazy especially if you have skin in the game.

I had that family reunion of an NCL ship 5/17 that's cancelled. My interest is nothing compared to my son's who paid for an extended group of his in-laws to attend. I made the terrible mistake of not buying insurance after I made payment- not till about 3 months after doing so. So now financial default is not covered. My head feels like it's being battered by coconuts.

Edited by Petoonya

15 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Most the July cruises, at least those up until the last week of July, are also listed as wait listed.  So I expect the same for them.

O has said  for Alaska  all July is cancelled    I would expect the same for all other cruises.

Best to relax, have a drink and watch   Rick Steves reruns     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

O has said  for Alaska  all July is cancelled    I would expect the same for all other cruises.

While I agree that will happen exactly where is Oceania's statement on this? 

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Two martini glasses and a bottle of Bombay Sapphire is all that we need.  No vermouth required or desired, only a small wedge of lime.🍸🍸🍸

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Two martini glasses and a bottle of Bombay Sapphire is all that we need.  No vermouth required or desired, only a small wedge of lime.🍸🍸🍸

Yes, the sun must be over the yardarm somewhere.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by neepawa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ORV said:

While I agree that will happen exactly where is Oceania's statement on this? 

I called them  and my agent also called me too....     O will avoid any cancel published because ot all the back log of refunds and FCC they already have to process.   Makes total sense that they dont want to add more problems on top of what the already have.  I think  every 30 days your going to see a new month of cancels till the end of the year...

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Forget the glasses... ice the bottles and use a straw..... bio-degradable of course... and hey as of today you can now play golf ...   Golf and alcohol ....  together ....even better

21 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Forget the glasses... ice the bottles and use a straw..... bio-degradable of course... and hey as of today you can now play golf ...   Golf and alcohol ....  together ....even better

It takes a really long straw when it's a 1.75 L bottle. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 12:35 PM, jonthomas said:

Five month liquidity is not very long. Second wave may hit just around that time. Cant see the glass half full on this one. 

Agreed, as It is very unlikely that cruising will start up this year at all, some of these corporations will not survive.  The US government refuses to support the industry, I agree, they pay virtually no taxes and skirt labour standard laws  by registering in places like Panama.  Some of the Cruise lines, like Princess have shown complete negligence on their handling of COVID on their ships and frankly do not deserve to be in business.  I am sure avid cruisers will be back on ships as soon as they start sailing again but many, especially those who do not cruise regularly (like me) or potential customers who have never cruised will be reluctance to step on a ship.  This is will be stacked on top of the fact we are in for some rough economic times where many will be reluctant to spend on discretionary things like vacations.  

PS can you think of a better place to spread disease than a crowded buffet? 

1 hour ago, tocruiseguy said:

PS can you think of a better place to spread disease than a crowded buffet? 

TTC or GO  train ??

plane  getting to  vacation destination

Nursing home in the GTA

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, clo said:

If I fly before there's a vaccine I'll wear a mask the entire time on the plane and in airports.

I assume you have read that wearing a mask does not protect you from others but aids only in protecting others from you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

TTC or GO  train ??

plane  getting to  vacation destination

Nursing home in the GTA

When I am on the GO train, I am on it for 30 minutes and now will have to wear a mask.  Agree, flying is problematic.  The tragedy befalling nursing homes across the world is awful.   

Maybe the medical state of the average cruise passenger is better than those in a nursing home but since we have cruised without our children from what we have experienced the average age of a cruise ship doesn't seem much younger.  I have heard of some cruises with average ages approaching 80.  In our 50's we were part of the youngest demographic on a couple of our cruises.  We have been on two cruises with "dialysis at sea" signs (Celebrity).  Anyone that old (and I really hope to get there someday) is much more vulnerable to any contagion.

2 hours ago, tocruiseguy said:

We have been on two cruises with "dialysis at sea" signs (Celebrity).  Anyone that old (and I really hope to get there someday) is much more vulnerable to any contagion.

You do not  have to be old  to need  dialysis (just go to Sick Kids) so I am not sure  what that has to do with anything

Even before  the COVID 19  people  were using the  service  & yes more  vulnerable to anything going around

4 minutes ago, clo said:

As a matter of fact they're now starting to say that everyone can benefit from wearing a mask. To both protect and be protected.

It makes sense. It may not be as effective as N95 but if someone accidentally coughs or sneezes near me, I'd rather have a mask on than not have one. Ditto when someone without the mask is just talking to me.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LHT28 said:

COVID-19 is caused by a virus. This article is not about viruses, it's about one particular  bacterium that apparently is problematic in hospital settings, not necessarily elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

COVID-19 is caused by a virus. This article is not about viruses, it's about one particular  bacterium that apparently is problematic in hospital settings, not necessarily elsewhere. 

so you are saying if you have COVID  & cough  the droplets will not hang in the air???

Why is everyone  wearing masks then?

Just now, LHT28 said:

so you are saying if you have COVID  & cough  the droplets will not hang in the air???

Why is everyone  wearing masks then?

Yes, that's why everyone is wearing masks, but it's mostly based on assumptions and an overabundance of caution rather than actual scientific evidence. It's an "OK..this can't hurt and maybe it will help a little"  statement. That's the reason why it took many weeks before mask wearing by the general public was suggested or in some circumstances mandated. 

The point is that what holds true based on a study of one particular bacterium doesn't automatically mean the same automatically holds true for this particular virus.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Yes, that's why everyone is wearing masks, but it's mostly based on assumptions and an overabundance of caution rather than actual scientific evidence.

Actually I have seen simulations of spread of droplets during coughing - mild, moderate and severe.

The coughed droplets can actually spread as far as 9 ft+ with a severe cough but usually to 6 ft in a few seconds without a mask - hence the suggested distancing. When a person is wearing a mask the droplets do not travel very far - mostly upward and downward, if at all.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Actually I have seen simulations of spread of droplets during coughing - mild, moderate and severe.

The coughed droplets can actually spread as far as 9 ft+ with a severe cough but usually to 6 ft in a few seconds without a mask - hence the suggested distancing. When a person is wearing a mask the droplets do not travel very far - mostly upward and downward, if at all.

I don't dispute that at all. I actually did a poor job of explaining what I was objecting to. My concern has to do with how long viable viable amounts of the virus might remain suspended in air in sufficient amounts to pose a real threat of infection. My remarks were intended to caution that you can't automatically translate a study done on a particular bacterium to mean that a particular virus will behave the same way.