Where does Oceania stand with cancellations?

ChappChapp

Today on website Oceania updated their COVID 19 response from March 30 to April 22. Seems to me the only change was date of update. State they plan to resume on May 15. Called O to see if this was typo but told it was not but got all the BS about the health & safety of their passengers was of upmost importance to them and they were working with WHO. "can cancel now for FCC or be patient for them to cancel. NOT impressed by Oceania's COVID 19 response and once this is all over and cruising resumes Oceania (Regent) will drop from top of our list for preferred cruise lines to bottom.

• Like 1

I expect to see cancellations of all cruises at least through the month of June announced tomorrow or at latest shortly thereafter. If you go onto Oceania's website you'll see that all cabin categories on all June cruises are now listed as "wait list", and since it's rather unlikely that every cabin on every cruise is actually booked, I take that as a sign of impending cancellations. My travel agency also has no June Oceania cabins available for booking on their website.

The same appears to be true for Oceania's sister cruise lines NCL and Regent Seven Seas.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

Oceania is waiting for people to make their final payment before they cancel a group of cruises. Then they encourage you to let them keep your money to go towards booking another cruise rather than issue a refund. They entice you to do this with a FCC premium, but they may or may not still be in business when you want to cruise again. Or you may or may not want or ever be able to take a cruise in the foreseeable future depending on your Wuhan corona virus fear level.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I expect to see cancellations of all cruises at least through the month of June announced tomorrow or at latest shortly thereafter. If you go onto Oceania's website you'll see that all cabin categories on all June cruises are now listed as "wait list", and since it's rather unlikely that every cabin on every cruise is actually booked, I take that as a sign of impending cancellations. My travel agency also has no June Oceania cabins available for booking on their website.

The same appears to be true for Oceania's sister cruise lines NCL and Regent Seven Seas.

Most the July cruises, at least those up until the last week of July, are also listed as wait listed.  So I expect the same for them.

NCL who owns Oceania has cancelled their Alaska cruises for May and June. They can no longer be booked online which hopefully means, like HawaiiDan said,  O's Alaska summer cruises are buh-bye. Fingers crossed this means O will be cancelling other cruises soon.

I am thrilled by this as I was on a May NCL cruise with relatives, and dislike NCL greatly. A week of my extended family is pushing the envelope. O is my home.

Feeling like a dog with two tails and hopefully NCL cancelling means O cruisers will feel the same soon.

🙂

12 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

NCL who owns Oceania has cancelled their Alaska cruises for May and June. They can no longer be booked online which hopefully means, like HawaiiDan said,  O's Alaska summer cruises are buh-bye. Fingers crossed this means O will be cancelling other cruises soon.

I am thrilled by this as I was on a May NCL cruise with relatives, and dislike NCL greatly. A week of my extended family is pushing the envelope. O is my home.

Feeling like a dog with two tails and hopefully NCL cancelling means O cruisers will feel the same soon.

🙂

You mean NCLH, who owns Oceania, not NCL.  I don't mean to nitpick (but I guess I am 🙂 ), but each line has it's own management, and they don't always toe the same line.  But under the current circumstances, they (NCL. Oceania and Regent)  are trying to operate in unison, for the most part. So I hope this is a sign that Oceania will soon announce it's next round of cancellations.  Stay safe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LJRVancouver said:

Today on website Oceania updated their COVID 19 response from March 30 to April 22. Seems to me the only change was date of update. State they plan to resume on May 15. Called O to see if this was typo but told it was not but got all the BS about the health & safety of their passengers was of upmost importance to them and they were working with WHO. "can cancel now for FCC or be patient for them to cancel. NOT impressed by Oceania's COVID 19 response and once this is all over and cruising resumes Oceania (Regent) will drop from top of our list for preferred cruise lines to bottom.

I understand your frustration (I have my own issues with another line) but as far as I can tell from these boards all cruise lines are treating their passengers the same way (more or less) these days.

Are you aware of some lines treating their customers better?

3 hours ago, LJRVancouver said:

What line will be on the top of your list ?

16 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

You mean NCLH, who owns Oceania, not NCL.  I don't mean to nitpick (but I guess I am 🙂 ), but each line has it's own management, and they don't always toe the same line. 

Thanks for setting me straight. My brain is so soft I will probably forget again 🙂  But I hear you- NCL and O might be Han and Chewie, but it's the Empire that controls the Death Star.

Thanks I always appreciate your posts 🙂

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks for setting me straight. My brain is so soft I will probably forget again 🙂  But I hear you- NCL and O might be Han and Chewie, but it's the Empire that calls the shots.

Thanks I always appreciate your posts 🙂

Oh, dear.  I hope the Empire isn't calling Han's and Chewie's shots.  I hope it's the Rebel Alliance.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Oh, dear.  I hope the Empire isn't calling Han's and Chewie's shots.  I hope it's the Rebel Alliance.

I wasn't sure if I should equate NCLH with the Evil Empire or the Rebel Alliance....it's so complicated since ultimately Ben killed his dad and Rey kissed Ben. Messes with my brain.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I expect O to announce the next batch of cancellations on Monday afternoon as they had the previous ones.  The last one was at 5:00 PM on Monday March 30.  Hopefully and probably this coming Monday afternoon, but I wouldn't be surprised with their penchant for waiting if it wasn't until as late as Monday May 11. The May 15 Athens to Athens cruise (and also those into June) went from lots of availability to being fully wait listed back in early March. Yes, Oceania's waiting until the last minute is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.  My guess based on past performance is that the next batch they cancel will be through June 15, or if they are smart June 30; but from their past actions I don't see NCLH mindset going into July cancellations yet.  Time will tell.

Just checked the Regent boards and they are reporting all cruises thru the end of June are now waitlisted after being available for the last few months. Meanwhile on Oceania website some cruises in Europe are listed waitlisted from being totally available last week thru the end of July. Maybe it will be a big cancellation coming. Let's hope so because this cat and mouse game is getting tiresome. Realize they have to preserve cash but it is leaving a very bad taste with a previously very loyal base.

Pretty sure  no one will be sailing  by June   so unless  you are on another planet  that is a given

so cancel hotels etc while waiting for the cruise line to officially  cancel the cruises

July/August  are pretty doubtful as well  so I would not count on a cruise then either

All cruise lines are just hedging their bets that  they will  be sailing sometime in the fall

Many have delayed refunds  saying up to 90 days for refunds

Yes I know  people want their money back in case of BK of the line  but  whining daily   will not make it happen

These  are extraordinary times  for everyone  people have lost jobs or laid off

people are in self isolation for the most part  & yes some are getting a bit more than crazy being locked in their  homes

Those  that are working  are stressed to the max  dealing with people who want it done yesterday

Find something  pleasant to do  for a day

Do not use the internet /watch the news / read the paper (if you still get one)

Enjoy the things you do have like  your health/home/family/friends (from a distance)

Be well

2 hours ago, Fam_Cruise said:

I expect O to announce the next batch of cancellations on Monday afternoon as they had the previous ones.  The last one was at 5:00 PM on Monday March 30.  Hopefully and probably this coming Monday afternoon, but I wouldn't be surprised with their penchant for waiting if it wasn't until as late as Monday May 11. The May 15 Athens to Athens cruise (and also those into June) went from lots of availability to being fully wait listed back in early March. Yes, Oceania's waiting until the last minute is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.  My guess based on past performance is that the next batch they cancel will be through June 15, or if they are smart June 30; but from their past actions I don't see NCLH mindset going into July cancellations yet.  Time will tell.

All three NCLH  cruise lines have now canceled their cruises though June 30.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5192/

"Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd., the parent company of Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises, has extended the suspension of cruise operations across all three brands through June 30, 2020."

Not to say "I told you so" about Friday, but I did. :classic_wink: (Don't take that seriously...it could have just as easily been Monday as you suggested.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

"Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd., the parent company of Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises, has extended the suspension of cruise operations across all three brands through June 30, 2020."

Let the phone calls begin 😉

• Like 1

Just in:

Oceania Cruises Announces Extended Global Voluntary Suspension of Cruising

At Oceania Cruises, the health, safety and well-being of our guests, crew and the communities we visit has always been and remains our highest priority. Given continued global efforts to combat the spread of the global COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, on March 30th, we announced a temporary voluntary suspension of voyages from April 12th to May 14th, 2020. On April 24th, we extended our suspension of voyages to include all voyages through June 30, 2020.

25 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Not to say "I told you so" about Friday, but I did. :classic_wink: (Don't take that seriously...it could have just as easily been Monday as you suggested.)

Glad I was wrong; and LHT28, the phone call is done and the refund for my May 15 Sirena cruise is now in process and confirmed by O's email.

• Haha 1

Article posted on Yahoo today from Barrons reports the cruise industry is burning thru cash and that the liquidty is 5 months for Norwegian. However another, article forget where it was ,said Norwegian was better positioned to weather this than Carnival or Royal . Makes you crazy especially if you have skin in the game.

29 minutes ago, ChappChapp said:

Article posted on Yahoo today from Barrons reports the cruise industry is burning thru cash and that the liquidty is 5 months for Norwegian. However another, article forget where it was ,said Norwegian was better positioned to weather this than Carnival or Royal . Makes you crazy especially if you have skin in the game.

I read something similar recently. Airlines also but I'd loan an airline - well, some anyway - money but I wouldn't to a cruise line.