Canada New England Weather October

Tedferg

We are booked on Sep 2  2020 NY - Quebec and wondering if Covid-19  situation will have settled by then - not too hopeful. We could change to Oct 12 and have six weeks more time for things to settle down. Any thought on weather at that time ?

Well, the trees will likely be beyond their best colours and you may find it a bit cold in Quebec in mid-October.  If I were you, I’d continue to hope for the September cruise and, if that doesn’t work out, plan for something entirely different if you have the flexibility.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

I did this cruise then Canadian Thanksgiving around then beautiful fall weather need a jacket. Leaves changing colours. Would not go any later as last fall friends did and was cold, rainy last week October. 

We were in Quebec City around October 20th-22nd or so one year and had quite a bit of snow. It was quite heavy and coming down hard. Thankfully we stayed at the Fairmont so had a huge hotel to run around. We boarded the ship and there were snowman on Lido deck. We hit Boston on Halloween and it was perfect and peak for colors.

OK Maybe Oct 2 Quebec to NY would be a better option. We have until July 1st for Final Payment and will make a decision then. We had to cancel this cruise last Sept - Kidney Stone 😞 So would like to do it. We live in California so a Pacific coastal would work as a fill-in cruise or maybe just pass on as cruise for this year. Fingers crossed.

21 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

OK Maybe Oct 2 Quebec to NY would be a better option. We have until July 1st for Final Payment and will make a decision then. We had to cancel this cruise last Sept - Kidney Stone 😞 So would like to do it. We live in California so a Pacific coastal would work as a fill-in cruise or maybe just pass on as cruise for this year. Fingers crossed.

I’d say that would be ideal.

47 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I would probably also. I say October 15 is probably perfect for trip out of NYC but you want to be earlier for Quebec City.

We went last year Sept 28-Oct 1. New York was very warm (shorts and t shirt), but as we went further north was colder. The first day in Quebec it felt like it was going to snow. The second day was warmer. But we needed heavy jackets, and gloves. The trees had just barely started to turn in the Quebec area, New England area had not even started yet. We really enjoyed this trip was one of the best cruises we have taken.  

• Like 1

There is a website called Fall Foliage Network which plots every year for New England states (they do other parts of US also). You can go back several years and check the dates for near peak, peak and past peak.

https://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.php/foliage-reports/foliage-reports-northeast-us/current-season-northeast-us

You can click on Archive for previous years:

https://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.php/foliage-reports/foliage-reports-northeast-us/foliage-reports-northeast-us-archive 

I wish they also did Canada.

Edited by Coral

8 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Hi we are doing Oct 10-17.  Sky Princess New York roundtrip.   I think the weather should be good;  we should see fall colors up north;  what do you guys think?

Map shows port stops for Canada & New England. For more details, refer to the List of Port Stops table on this page

It depends on the year!! Those who live up there say Columbus Day but that is usually more inland as the coast gets it later. Look up the link I posted for Fall Foliage maps.

7 minutes ago, Cruiserkenn said:

I agree with the thought that it depends on the year.  It could be nice, but once I personally froze on an October trip in Eastern Canada.

You are so right.  We did a cruise to Canada leaving from NYC on August 5, I don't remember the year.  Maybe 1998 to 2000?   When we got to St John, it was so cold.  I wore a jacket with a hood, hat, gloves and was still cold.  Then another year 2001 we left on a Princess cruise to Canada on 10/19.  It was beautiful, the weather was wonderful.

It can be either way good or cold weather.