Help me make an impulse purchase

cruisenewbie79

I just came across a great deal for the Panoroma sailing on June 27th. This is an amazing deal that I would normally never be able to afford. I am not worried about safety, just if the cruise will be canceled. Carnival says the deal will expire tomorrow. Am I crazy to book this cruise? Any psychics out there?

The question is can you afford for that money to be tied up? If yes, then yes.  If no, then no.

I have booked 3 Covid Cruises.  The first was a deal that I could not pass up. Now, the money is gone and tied up.  Since I had already spent the money, I am ok with not having a refund and having $600 obc.  If my next one is cancelled though, I think I am asking for a refund. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cruisenewbie79 said:

I just came across a great deal for the Panoroma sailing on June 27th. This is an amazing deal that I would normally never be able to afford. I am not worried about safety, just if the cruise will be canceled. Carnival says the deal will expire tomorrow. Am I crazy to book this cruise? Any psychics out there?

Just be aware that when not if the cruise is cancelled, to use the obc you will have to book a more expensive cruise.

There is a cdc no sail order until July 24th. The low rate is to get you to book another more expensive cruise, not because that one has a chance of going. .. and I'm a optimist. 

• Thanks 1

If your schedule is flexible and you are fine with tying up the money on a cruise that could possibly cancelled, then go for it.  I just did a mock booking for an interior and it shows $819.28 after taxes and fees.  That's not a huge amount to have tied up in the most likely event that the cruise will be cancelled and you will possibly receive a $600 OBC to rebook.  

I see you don't live in California, so you might want to look into any costs to reschedule flights should the cruise get cancelled. Also, you might want to consider the possibility that if it does sail, there might be health restrictions for boarding.  I would weigh in all of these factors before booking.

• Thanks 1

I will be SHOCKED if our Governor opens ports up to cruise ships in 2 months. He says .CA is still weeks away from allowing retail to open to do curbside orders. Look into the steps to reopen for CA. My guess is cruises falls in line with concerts and sporting events.

• Like 1

Time to be realistic.   The cruise will not be happening.   When the time is right, the cruise lines will be dipping their toes into the shallow end and not diving head first into the deep end.  Cruises will probably start out at reduced capacity and all of the new protocols will have to go without a hitch before things get expanded.  Being realistic,  I believe that my late June as well as late August cruises will be cancelled.  I just hope a second wave doesn't knock out my first Princess cruise in January.

• Like 1

I booked carnival next month at a ridiculously low price, expecting to get cancelled. I've been looking out at next year and prices back more to regular. Without the obc, not such bargains.

I got rcl next jan and a b2b in april on rcl to work around.

We live in FL and were looking at rebooking our cancelled Panorama sailing on either the Breeze or Panorama for July 4 (both incredible deals)

Ultimately, we went with a date in 2021 for 2 reasons:

1) We figured there was a 50/50 or less chance the July 4 sailing would go off (we did not want the hassle of having to rebook)

2) Given all of the scrutiny on the cruise lines, we did not want to be one of the first passengers to step on-board

We are not afraid of getting sick, but we do want to see passenger feedback about the on-board experience once sailings do resume. 

• Thanks 1

My crystal ball says not to book unless you want to give Carnival an interest free loan.

My crystal ball is also telling me that people who book during the pandemic will not be getting the generous OBC offers given to those who booked earlier.

Then again...if you really want to go you can be our guinea pig.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

You’re wasting your time and just giving them money for nothing ....

What?! 

50/50 on if the cruise will go and if it is canceled you will get to choose between a refund or  FCC/OBC for the future.. 

I booked one in may and rescheduled for September once it was canceled, we now have an extra $600 OBC. Sounds like a  great deal to me.

1 minute ago, jperry2011 said:

What?! 

50/50 on if the cruise will go and if it is canceled you will get to choose between a refund or  FCC/OBC for the future.. 

I booked one in may and rescheduled for September once it was canceled, we now have an extra $600 OBC. Sounds like a  great deal to me.

Yes, paying for one thing and not receiving it is paying for nothing. Refunds and a future promise or hope is not what I would pay cash for in these uncertain times. Paying for a cruise I know 99% isn’t going to sail doesn’t seem like a good cash investment to me .... maybe to you it is . 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Yes, paying for one thing and not receiving it is paying for nothing. Refunds and a future promise or hope is not what I would pay cash for in these uncertain times. Paying for a cruise I know 99% isn’t going to sail doesn’t seem like a good cash investment to me .... maybe to you it is . 

Money for nothing was your claim...

Either way your money will go towards a cruise and if it's at a later date you will get free OBC. How is that nothing?

1 minute ago, jperry2011 said:

Money for nothing was your claim...

Either way your money will go towards a cruise and if it's at a later date you will get free OBC. How is that nothing?

You obviously don’t get it .... when I purchase something and know I won’t  receive it like any cruise on June 27th, that is money for nothing . Credits and promises made for down the road are worthless at this point considering the state of Carnivals finances  and the cruise industry and uncertainty as a whole right now. Keeping your cash in the bank and calculating risk later is a better bet. I and most others are probably keeping put right now. If you want to invest your cash in one of the most unstable industries right now with a bleak outlook, go ahead. Most would call that a terrible investment .

• Like 2

Just now, tallnthensome said:

You obviously don’t get it .... when I purchase something and know I won’t  receive it like any cruise on June 27th, that is money for nothing . Credits and promises made for down the road are worthless at this point considering the state of Carnivals finances  and the cruise industry and uncertainty as a whole right now. Keeping your cash in the bank and calculating risk later is a better bet. I and most others are probably keeping put right now. If you want to invest your cash in one of the most unstable industries right now with a bleak outlook, go ahead. Most would call that a terrible investment .

Sounds like alot of fearmongering for nothing. Cruising will be back again soon, maybe not june but close after.

This person is looking for advice on if its a good choice to book a cruise. Which the money will go towards a cruise regardless maybe with free OBC or they will be refunded. 

Good choice to do so period end of story.