Italy Law Regarding Canceling Tours?

EntrechatatSea

54 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

It’s equally an issue for Crystal, Carnival, Viking, Holland, Princess, So why discuss on the Celebrity board?

Because it involved the cancellation of a Celebrity cruise by the OP? 

• Thanks 1

We had tours booked in Rome with two different companies this summer.  One asked us to wait until 14 days prior to tour to cancel for refund.  I think the hope is this might give them time to begin touring again. The second gave us a credit that doesn't have an expiration date. Not ideal, but hopefully it will work out!

I had a tour booked in Lisbon, would have happened a few days ago. When I cancelled, the (Spain-based) tour company quickly offered 100% refund or 25% refund plus 100% future credit. I took the partial refund, it was credited to my card within two days. Good fast professional service. Maybe I was lucky to get in ahead of some EU new policy? I think the company would have treated me the same way in any case.
Stan

I had booked a non-refundable Secret Food Tour for Naples and contacted the company to let them know we would not be able to take the tour, hoping they could sell our tickets even though we couldn’t make it. The tour company was very generous in offering us a voucher for a future tour in any location (they have tours all over the world, including a city an hour from my home). We fully intend to get to Italy some day and hopefully will be able to rebook the tour in Naples, but it is nice to know that we can use the voucher close to home if need be.

Edited by CruiserMickey
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pushka said:

This is no law but an interpretative guideline of EU passenger rights regulations. And it states clearly that you have to get reimbursed in case the carrier cancels. And this is only valid for modes of transportation (flights, busses, trains, ships):

"Given the unprecedented situation Europe has been experiencing due to the Covid-19 outbreak, the European Commission believes it would be helpful to clarify in this context the rights of passengers when travelling by air, rail, bus and coach or ship, as well as the corresponding obligations for carriers."

This does not cover hotel stays or any entrance / tour tickets.

steamboats

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

This is no law but an interpretative guideline of EU passenger rights regulations. And it states clearly that you have to get reimbursed in case the carrier cancels. And this is only valid for modes of transportation (flights, busses, trains, ships):

"Given the unprecedented situation Europe has been experiencing due to the Covid-19 outbreak, the European Commission believes it would be helpful to clarify in this context the rights of passengers when travelling by air, rail, bus and coach or ship, as well as the corresponding obligations for carriers."

This does not cover hotel stays or any entrance / tour tickets.

steamboats

Yes, mine was a local cruise and I cancelled well before Covid struck and well before penalties. 

Edited by Pushka

This is at least part of why I rarely book "prepaid" anything.  Yes, it generally costs a bit more, but situations like this make me believe even more to take the higher rate.  The only $$ I'm waiting on a refund are with the cruiselines, not any hotels or tours.

12 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

It’s equally an issue for Crystal, Carnival, Viking, Holland, Princess, So why discuss on the Celebrity board?

I believe you just answered your question.  It is an issue for all cruisers that have excursions booked in Europe.  I suggest you should post this issue on those boards.

I can honestly say that I have never even looked at the European departures board that you suggest would be a better location   and would not have been informed of this possible issue if someone had someone not posted this on the Celebrity board.  

• Like 1

I agree

Post was relevant here  .We appreciate the heads up as a reminder.

We are not travelling to Europe anytime soon,  but that was the one place where  we have booked pvt excursions in the past.  Not always easy to get a refund  even before Covid...but new issues have emerged.

Placing it in the European ports bd would miss the attention of  many cruisers..

• Like 1