Doctors Note for 70+ Year Olds is History

27 minutes ago, jndsilver31 said:

no, it isnt any of yheir business about my medical

...until you get into problems on the ship and then it becomes RCI's business and problem to get you taken care of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I suppose this is not the time for a post on X and Y chromosomes?

Don’t be making a science foul!  You know science is important in todays world, fortunately most of those that say we must follow the science are completely incapable of recognizing when it is kicking them in the a$$.

jc

>>>>>> The doctors note was an incredibly stupid idea of CLIA<<<<

Oh well.

Nobody knows the future.  I treat all their talk as possible, maybe, or wishing.

I don't believe anything they say, just watching what they do.

So, I personally am not booking anything in the future.  Will only book last minute, after final payment.

We'll see how it goes.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The cynic in me thinks that the cruiselines ganged up on CLIA to pull the requirement so folks with health issues and older ones will keep on booking.

But doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the Dr approval?  Wouldn’t take much going forward to shut down cruising again with less than honest cruisers with health issues. 

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Wouldn’t take much going forward to shut down cruising again with less than honest cruisers with health issues. 

For RCI, having revenue come in, via bookings, is what's most important now - figuring out how to get folks with health issues accommodated, comes later.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

For RCI, having revenue come in, via bookings, is what's most important now - figuring out how to get folks with health issues accommodated, comes later.

It's a great PR move. Now over 70s may now take an FCC, book more cruises and not ask for refunds. 

14 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

It's a great PR move. Now over 70s may now take an FCC, book more cruises and not ask for refunds. 

But you really don’t know what future requirements will be. Who says they can’t bring back a note. Everyone knows that cruisers with pre existing conditions that may be prohibited, are likely to skirt the requirement, by denying on a declaration. 

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

But you really don’t know what future requirements will be. Who says they can’t bring back a note. Everyone knows that cruisers with pre existing conditions that may be prohibited, are likely to skirt the requirement, by denying on a declaration. 

True....no one knows what may be required when ships start to sail. 

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We pay a high medical premium for insurance to be able to cruise and fly.

Surely as long as our insurance covers us and not a cost to the cruiseline I don't see why the cruiseline should  deny boarding.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We pay a high medical premium for insurance to be able to cruise and fly.

Surely as long as our insurance covers us and not a cost to the cruiseline I don't see why the cruiseline should  deny boarding.

I hear what you’re saying. I really don’t think that is the issue. The issue as “I” see it, if you’re more likely to get seriously ill while cruising than those without pre existing conditions, what are the cruise ships going to do with you?  Based on what I have read from the CDC possible requirement, I think the CDC wants the cruise lines to handle the ill and not off load them into US ports. It sounds ugly but could be the new deal. 

In only my opinion 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I hear what you’re saying. I really don’t think that is the issue. The issue as “I” see it, if you’re more likely to get seriously ill while cruising than those without pre existing conditions, what are the cruise ships going to do with you?  Based on what I have read from the CDC possible requirement, I think the CDC wants the cruise lines to handle the ill and not off load them into US ports. It sounds ugly but could be the new deal. 

In only my opinion 

I had a minor heart attack,had a stent fitted, no heart damage, taking all prescribed medicine,lost 2 stone in weight,cut out all saturated fats and had 

14 units of alcohol in the last 18 weeks.

Doctor said I am in a much better condition than pre minor heart attack,and paying 4 times the insurance premium we were.

Why do they take a blanket opinion to potentially stop us cruising.

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I had a minor heart attack,had a stent fitted, no heart damage, taking all prescribed medicine,lost 2 stone in weight,cut out all saturated fats and had 

14 units of alcohol in the last 18 weeks.

Doctor said I am in a much better condition than pre minor heart attack,and paying 4 times the insurance premium we were.

Why do they take a blanket opinion to potentially stop us cruising.

It just all depends what the CDC requires of the Cruise Industry after they return to sailing. Would only apply to ships sailing out of the US. Again, I hear what you are saying. How many cruise ships showed up to dump all their (many sick and exposed) passengers off in the UK?   I don’t think the CDC wants to see a recurrence of the issues again. Contain, contain, contain. The CDC has asked the cruise lines to provide a plan to house and treat ill cruisers without requiring the aid of the US. How would you suggest the cruise lines do this that operate out of US Ports?

Food for thought 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It just all depends what the CDC requires of the Cruise Industry after they return to sailing. Would only apply to ships sailing out of the US. Again, I hear what you are saying. How many cruise ships showed up to dump all their (many sick and exposed) passengers off in the UK?   I don’t think the CDC wants to see a recurrence of the issues again. Contain, contain, contain. The CDC has asked the cruise lines to provide a plan to house and treat ill cruisers without requiring the aid of the US. How would you suggest the cruise lines do this that operate out of US Ports?

Food for thought 

The vast majority of our cruises have been European destinations and I don't recall Southampton England having any issues.

Most of Europe seems unlikely to see cruising this year.

We would avoid US sailings if CDC prevented health issue, I'm only 63 and Pauline 58 so age is not an issue.

We hope to get to Orlando this year for a week hotel stay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I wonder if many over 70 Pinnacles/D+  contacted RCL and this was a factor in their change of heart?.

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

I wonder if many over 70 Pinnacles/D+  contacted RCL and this was a factor in their change of heart?.

I doubt it. Other cruise lines did the same. In my opinion, it was a cash flow issue. 

There is nothing to say it might yet be a requirement, again. Don’t know what the CDC will require going forward. 

7 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I doubt it. Other cruise lines did the same. In my opinion, it was a cash flow issue. 

There is nothing to say it might yet be a requirement, again. Don’t know what the CDC will require going forward. 

In the UK

Saga,Fred Olsen,Cruise and Maritime and to a lesser extent P&O have a very high percentage of over 70s and over 80s on board.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I'm sure RCI is aware of the negative comments on Social Media and also received emails about the letter. With the potential loss of a lot of cruisers removing the requirement for the Dr's note was a good PR move. Over 70s may now be willing to book cruises, take FCCs and not ask for refunds. Until ships start to sail no one knows what will be required for anyone to cruise.

• Like 4