Best way to attract people back to P&O Cruises when some semblance of normality returns?

3 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Yes does make you think - and a lot a of variables.  I think it will be a long time before we have any definitive answers, if we ever do!  I reckon population density is a significant factor though.   

Oslo is so different from London - not the traffic, crowds or densely packed buildings.  It has a population of under 700,000 compared with London's 9m.  There's a wide disparity in this country from rural areas to cities.  Sweden has only about one seventh of the population of the UK so their figures need to be multiplied by 7.  They are still doing better than us though but with a land area almost double that of the UK perhaps with a more thinly spread population, transmission rates are lower.  Just my musings.....

I did hear on an interview with a Swedish scientist who said that they had a large proportion of younger people who lived alone and that could also be a factor. Unfortunately though I also got the impression that the older generation

weren't so important.

Avril 

22 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I did hear on an interview with a Swedish scientist who said that they had a large proportion of younger people who lived alone and that could also be a factor. Unfortunately though I also got the impression that the older generation

weren't so important.

Avril 

There could be all kinds of contributing factors but that would make a difference.  Not so good for older folk if your impression was right though!    

Edited by kruzseeka

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm interested to see your evidence for that, compared to how many people have died due to not being able to access medical treatment for cancer, transplants etc.

There are always consequences to every action, but I think the media would have been even more critical of the govt. if they had maintained elective treatments and the NHS had run out of ICU beds for covid patients, and possibly had covid19 spread to the cancer, organ transplant and hip replacement patients.

9 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

weren't so important.

Avril 

I read, somewhere, but can’t find it again, that in Sweden over-80’s are simply not treated and 60-80’s with existing conditions are not hospitalised either. 😳 If that is the case the statistics will show “excess deaths” but not for a while till everything is collated

We have a friend who is a retired statistician who worked on collating and analysing causes of deaths, in the Cabinet Office (would probably be the Office if National Statistics now), who reckons even our stats are inaccurate (on the low side) because of delays in registration.

11 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

Yes does make you think - and a lot a of variables.  I think it will be a long time before we have any definitive answers, if we ever do!  I reckon population density is a significant factor though.   

Oslo is so different from London - not the traffic, crowds or densely packed buildings.  It has a population of under 700,000 compared with London's 9m.  There's a wide disparity in this country from rural areas to cities.  Sweden has only about one seventh of the population of the UK so their figures need to be multiplied by 7.  They are still doing better than us though but with a land area almost double that of the UK perhaps with a more thinly spread population, transmission rates are lower.  Just my musings.....

Slippery place that Oslo. Seems to have moved from Norway to Sweden.😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Slippery place that Oslo. Seems to have moved from Norway to Sweden.😂

Just realised my mistake myself and in checking Stockholm's population, they're under 1m so I think the general comparisons hold good 're density of population. (Land area was Sweden not Norway! 🙄). Also noting one or two other comments about the elderly in Sweden though make unsettling reading!

I think a lot of analysis will be carried out, reporting still an issue with some countries probably with no intention of trying to report accurate figures, so that unpicking it all may never be as robust as we would wish.  Interesting (preliminary?) report from the Office of Statisics just released now with some trends with more work to be done to investigate trends further.

The problems with treating the extremely old and vulnerable don't just apply to Sweden. Apparently a lot of these people are so frail that putting them on a ventilator would kill them anyway. So palliative care is given instead. Even taking them to hospital might kill them. When I was a young teenager I caught that disease you get from rats. It was touch and go and I had doctors and consultants in my bedroom. They decided that transporting me to hospital was too dangerous so my bedroom was turned into a mini ward, and I was a fit teenager.