Best way to attract people back to P&O Cruises when some semblance of normality returns?

I think we all appreciate that Coronavirus has had a rather less than positive impact on the cruise industry.   And that getting customers to return,  along with new customers,  may prove tricky. 

Low initial pricing's the obvious route, even if it means low or nonexistent profits for a while, but that's very costly. 

Any views on better and cheaper ways to get people cruising again with P&O?

Good question Harry. 

Initially, I think there will be more demand than spaces due to FCC and maybe limited occupancy. 

Going forward, it all depends solely on the safety. 

If we feel safe to travel and insurance is reasonable, there will be high demand. 

If not, then they have a job on their hands enticing passengers onboard. 

Who knows... 

Andy 

• Like 2

Probably the very best way is to run two or three months of cruising with absolutely no problems with any contagion

There will be many potential passengers ‘watching and waiting’

• Like 1

The main thing needed to attract people back is unfortunately out of P&O’s control, and that’s a vaccine that is widely available. Until then, I think it will be a case of only appealing to those who are completely oblivious to the risks or just don’t care (“we’ve all got to die at some point” / “Life is for living” etc). Much to my surprise, there are quite a few on this forum who are quite happy to take the risk. I am not amongst them! Social Distancing and cruise ships just do not go together. The second biggest thing is also out of P&O’s control, and that’s having all cruise ports open to cruise ships. 

Once we are all vaccinated, I think that demand will start to return at a reasonable pace but I believe that it could take up to a decade to get back to the level of perceived demand that the industry had last year (that was generating all the new builds). I note that the CEO of the major cruise ship builder has put the same time scale on the full recovery. The market, especially P&O, was shifting at a fast rate towards the ‘new to cruising’ audience and I fear that they will take a lot more convincing now than those of us who are seasoned cruisers. By definition, this forum will never be representative of the market that P&O is going after.

I am less convinced than others that demand will outstrip supply. A lot of people are shifting bookings at the moment, rather than making all-new ones. Once the balance due date looms for these cruises, common sense will prevail with a lot of these people and if they are not vaccinated by then they will delay again. P&O knows this, hence the ability to change to bookings multiple times. 

I agree with others that P&O, as with other cruise lines, will need to address travel insurance and most likely include it in the fare. More strategically, I would be creating a sub brand within P&O with at least one of the adult only ships and make it far more upmarket. This would have to encompass serious upgrades to cabins, main dining rooms and entertainment, but would enable them to retain some of those who are moving away from P&O due to their brand repositioning, as well as attracting a new market. As the market will be challenged for a number of years, I’m not sure that it’s wise to have all the P&O ships having pretty much the same offering. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

New itineraries, they tend to repeat the same/very similar routes year in year out.  Worth changing up routes and getting new ports of call in there.   (Obviously in reality they'll be limited to the few ports that will actually accept cruise dockings)

Edited by Francisdrake
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think we all appreciate that Coronavirus has had a rather less than positive impact on the cruise industry.   And that getting customers to return,  along with new customers,  may prove tricky. 

Low initial pricing's the obvious route, even if it means low or nonexistent profits for a while, but that's very costly. 

Any views on better and cheaper ways to get people cruising again with P&O?

Government advice will not change until the risks are at a fairly low level . Once that happens with ,preferably a vaccine available , many will consider that a risk is worth taking . Our choice of cruise line will be same as always. Best offer for the time/destination that we want. As with all things in life, some will hide, others will be prepared to take some risks and not spend the next few years locked up. Lots of World still to see, lots of experiences to enjoy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

The main thing needed to attract people back is unfortunately out of P&O’s control, and that’s a vaccine that is widely available. Until then, I think it will be a case of only appealing to those who are completely oblivious to the risks or just don’t care (“we’ve all got to die at some point” / “Life is for living” etc). Much to my surprise, there are quite a few on this forum who are quite happy to take the risk. I am not amongst them! Social Distancing and cruise ships just do not go together. The second biggest thing is also out of P&O’s control, and that’s having all cruise ports open to cruise ships. 

Once we are all vaccinated, I think that demand will start to return at a reasonable pace but I believe that it could take up to a decade to get back to the level of perceived demand that the industry had last year (that was generating all the new builds). I note that the CEO of the major cruise ship builder has put the same time scale on the full recovery. The market, especially P&O, was shifting at a fast rate towards the ‘new to cruising’ audience and I fear that they will take a lot more convincing now than those of us who are seasoned cruisers. By definition, this forum will never be representative of the market that P&O is going after.

I am less convinced than others that demand will outstrip supply. A lot of people are shifting bookings at the moment, rather than making all-new ones. Once the balance due date looms for these cruises, common sense will prevail with a lot of these people and if they are not vaccinated by then they will delay again. P&O knows this, hence the ability to change to bookings multiple times. 

I agree with others that P&O, as with other cruise lines, will need to address travel insurance and most likely include it in the fare. More strategically, I would be creating a sub brand within P&O with at least one of the adult only ships and make it far more upmarket. This would have to encompass serious upgrades to cabins, main dining rooms and entertainment, but would enable them to retain some of those who are moving away from P&O due to their brand repositioning, as well as attracting a new market. As the market will be challenged for a number of years, I’m not sure that it’s wise to have all the P&O ships having pretty much the same offering. 

Great post you have  pretty much covered everything.

A proper apology for the refund debacle would be a start.

I would like more variety of ports leaving from Southampton so we don't have to fly and possibly cruises around Britain including Iceland.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

They will go down the sell it cheap and fill it up route. It will the typical American way.

We have a different mentality, I have posted before, I only used to trade with nice companies.

Trust with P&O has been broken, there integrity is shot. It did not need to be that way.

There choice. 

Crisis management is different, and requires an understanding of your customers, suppliers and staff in that order.

14 day, then 45 day then minimum of 60 day without any consultation with your individual customers will rebound.

But remember when the auto cue say's smile to smile, almost forgot!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I agree a vaccine is important to a great number of people whether it be cruising or any other type of holiday.

I'm normally a glass half empty person suffering with anxiety and taking medication but on this subject I'm a glass half full person.

For once the whole developed world is throwing the kitchen sink at this problem.

Whilst humankind is great at buggering up the planet with climate change and the like, there is also great ingenuity out there.

Where there is a market (eg amazing mobile phone technology) or concerted government cooperation, it's amazing what we as a species can accomplish.

I believe a viable vaccine will be in production by the autumn (hopefully I wont be getting hate posts come September/October!).

If correct then I think the travel industry will both survive and get back to normal pretty quickly. We will all need a holiday.

Keep well and safe everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

I agree a vaccine is important to a great number of people whether it be cruising or any other type of holiday.

I'm normally a glass half empty person suffering with anxiety and taking medication but on this subject I'm a glass half full person.

For once the whole developed world is throwing the kitchen sink at this problem.

Whilst humankind is great at buggering up the planet with climate change and the like, there is also great ingenuity out there.

Where there is a market (eg amazing mobile phone technology) or concerted government cooperation, it's amazing what we as a species can accomplish.

I believe a viable vaccine will be in production by the autumn (hopefully I wont be getting hate posts come September/October!).

If correct then I think the travel industry will both survive and get back to normal pretty quickly. We will all need a holiday.

Keep well and safe everyone.

I admire your optimism about the ability to find and produce a viable vaccine.  I sincerely hope you're right, for all our sakes. 

• Like 1

Something I would like to see is some sort of "interchangeability" between the brands that under Carnival's umbrella.

eg A return the ability to access another brand's loyalty perks.  I think previously Portunus loyalty points could used with Princess and Cunard, but at a different rate.

Also, in the present situation, maybe allow FCCs to be used for other brands under Carnival's brolly.  We've never cruised with Cunard, but would be happy to give them a go.  Princess have some US itineries that would be of interest to us as well.  The ability to move an FCC to another CCL brand may be helpful to others who may have difficulty with PandOs itineries.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Something I would like to see is some sort of "interchangeability" between the brands that under Carnival's umbrella.

eg A return the ability to access another brand's loyalty perks.  I think previously Portunus loyalty points could used with Princess and Cunard, but at a different rate.

Also, in the present situation, maybe allow FCCs to be used for other brands under Carnival's brolly.  We've never cruised with Cunard, but would be happy to give them a go.  Princess have some US itineries that would be of interest to us as well.  The ability to move an FCC to another CCL brand may be helpful to others who may have difficulty with PandOs itineries.

Portunus points acquired on P&O have never been useable with Cunard.

There seems to be doubt as to whether there will even be a vaccine.  They have tried it with other coronaviruses and they haven't worked.  Also, older folk don't respond that well to vaccines (thus the flu vaccine doesn't work that well for over 70s.

a) Significantly enhanced on board medical facilities, free of cost to all passengers.

b) Lower prices. Peoples fear tends to dilute when they see what they believe is a genuine good deal. (Remember British Airways seven day sale after 9/11 ? One long haul destination on sale a day, at ridiculously low prices).

(I have no idea about the commercial viability of (a) !).

• Like 1

For us, it’s insurance. Perhaps as months go by, the knee jerk reaction of insurers will settle down and pandemic cover will be considered. We’d booked for Sept for the Med this year and have had Covid cover taken off our insurance, like for many, and so will cancel because of that as we’re not prepared to take the risk. So P&O full insurance cover would make us change our mind - and I’m sure it’s the same for many others who are looking at booking or rebooking for the next 2 years. No pandemic cover, no cruise...

• Like 3

Some excellent points made about the insurance.  Much cheaper for Carnival to purchase a block policy than for individuals to buy their own - could well be the one single thing that would have the greatest impact, at the lowest cost, to pull people back.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Some excellent points made about the insurance.  Much cheaper for Carnival to purchase a block policy than for individuals to buy their own - could well be the one single thing that would have the greatest impact, at the lowest cost, to pull people back.

I'd agree, but there is no way that P&O could buy block insurance that would cover individuals for specific ailments such as cancers, heart conditions etc.

What P&O could do, would be to provide top up insurance, that would cover just CV19 claims.  Individuals would still need to have  their own insurance that would cover everything else.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'd agree, but there is no way that P&O could buy block insurance that would cover individuals for specific ailments such as cancers, heart conditions etc.

What P&O could do, would be to provide top up insurance, that would cover just CV19 claims.  Individuals would still need to have  their own insurance that would cover everything else.

Exactly.  The block policy would cover only the currently uninsurable parts to add to normal travel policies.

The government provided similar cover for uninsurable flood risks for certain properties via Flood Re. Perfectly achievable.

• Like 1

A vaccine.

Nothing else will get me back given I travel with my 83 year old mother - and insurance is going to be a nightmare, especially for older people where the cost may be more than the cost of the cruise.