Best way to attract people back to P&O Cruises when some semblance of normality returns?

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Some excellent points made about the insurance.  Much cheaper for Carnival to purchase a block policy than for individuals to buy their own - could well be the one single thing that would have the greatest impact, at the lowest cost, to pull people back.

But would any underwriter be prepared to cover a ship full of passengers some with underlying medical conditions, against all eventualities. 

18 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

But would any underwriter be prepared to cover a ship full of passengers some with underlying medical conditions, against all eventualities. 

Almost certainly, on the basis of spread risk across hundreds of thousands of passengers across Carnival.  Huge total price, of course, but relatively small per passenger, and probably a lot less than discounting the prices.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I'd agree, but there is no way that P&O could buy block insurance that would cover individuals for specific ailments such as cancers, heart conditions etc.

What P&O could do, would be to provide top up insurance, that would cover just CV19 claims.  Individuals would still need to have  their own insurance that would cover everything else.

That sounds viable as medical travel insurance does cover everything you declare at a cost except CV19

Without the magic vaccine and a full cover insurance ,things I would imagine are going to be 

far from what we have been used to onboard ships.

How could or would they run the theatre onboard the ship?

Can you imagine the auditorium for example, trying to segregate the people within it, when you 

would have people trying to squeeze past you to get to or exit a seat.

Maybe the cruise companies could look into broadcasting the theatre shows to the cabins on TV.

I for one would not fancy being cooped up like that, and the same goes for the other bars really.

How would you get the entertainment back up and running ?

Some hard questions ahead but no easy answers without the magic vaccine. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

That sounds viable as medical travel insurance does cover everything you declare at a cost except CV19

It would only need to be a CV top up. Your normal travel insurance would apply for everything else. I bet the bean counters in Miami are doing the calculations at the moment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It would only need to be a CV top up. Your normal travel insurance would apply for everything else. I bet the bean counters in Miami are doing the calculations at the moment.

Would they cover the crew also? 

Not only insurance to cover the passengers and crew, but insurance for company to cover refused port entry if cases on board. The cover would also need to cover flying passengers home if hospitalised as a result, as unclear whether travel insurance would cover you if Covid or similar virus is the reason. 

Edited by Snow Hill

19 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

I wonder if they will insist that people have had the vaccine before they are allowed to sail?  I know there will be a normally small group of people who for medial reasons cannot have a vaccine.

I believe that this is strong possibility, just like some countries insist on vaccination against specific diseases like Yellow Fever as a condition of entry. No cruise line will willingly want to risk the consequences of a passenger or crew member becoming infected onboard or in a port of call. And if that means that a small minority will be unable to cruise, that will be seen as infinately more acceptable than the potential alternative.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 1

The more I read about vaccination for this virus, the more they are saying that one may not be possible.   They never got one against SARS and some people who have had the virus are now showing no antibodies in their systems, so obviously can get it again.

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

some people who have had the virus are now showing no antibodies in their systems, so obviously can get it again.

The scientists have now discovered that the re infections were due to false tests showing they were clear when

they were still infected by covid .

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-scientists-conclude-people-cannot-be-infected-twice-11981721

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

If so I hope Harry took out copyright on the idea.😉

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If so I hope Harry took out copyright on the idea.😉

Cruise critic will probably start doing cruise insurance. If they do I can have the royalties on that idea. It Should help pay for a drinks package.😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

The more I read about vaccination for this virus, the more they are saying that one may not be possible.   They never got one against SARS and some people who have had the virus are now showing no antibodies in their systems, so obviously can get it again.

If a test showed they had it, but now shows no antibodies,perhaps the first test was wrong. Or the second, or both......🤪

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

If a test showed they had it, but now shows no antibodies,perhaps the first test was wrong. Or the second, or both......🤪

I think I prefer to listen to Jenny Harries assessments of these comments. Yesterday she seemed to be saying that Covid19 patients can take a few weeks to develop antibodies, so that could account for the anecdotal evidence that some people have been infected twice.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think I prefer to listen to Jenny Harries assessments of these comments. Yesterday she seemed to be saying that Covid19 patients can take a few weeks to develop antibodies, so that could account for the anecdotal evidence that some people have been infected twice.

Doctor from WHO saying that a second positive test is seemingly caused from dead lung cells in the healing process and not a reoccurrence of the disease.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Almost certainly, on the basis of spread risk across hundreds of thousands of passengers across Carnival.  Huge total price, of course, but relatively small per passenger, and probably a lot less than discounting the prices.

Free CV19 cover could be part of the select package offering.

19 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

There seems to be doubt as to whether there will even be a vaccine.  They have tried it with other coronaviruses and they haven't worked.  Also, older folk don't respond that well to vaccines (thus the flu vaccine doesn't work that well for over 70s.

I didn't know that. If it is the case it seems a lot of money is wasted every year as they are the ones they give it to.

31 minutes ago, happy v said:

I didn't know that. If it is the case it seems a lot of money is wasted every year as they are the ones they give it to.

For older folks it is circa 60% effective in preventing  flu in a good year (differs between 40% and 60% depending on the virus that year based on the Southern Hemisphere). It does however reduce the severity of the symptoms in anyone catching that years flu if they have had the injection, so prevents deaths from complications such as pneumonia.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

For older folks it is circa 60% effective in preventing  flu in a good year (differs between 40% and 60% depending on the virus that year based on the Southern Hemisphere). It does however reduce the severity of the symptoms in anyone catching that years flu if they have had the injection, so prevents deaths from complications such as pneumonia.

Thanks for that.

No vaccinations are 100% effective, but at 50/60% it's better nothing. We have ours every year without fail. We've also had our pneumonia jab as well.

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
Added text
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

No vaccinations are 100% effective, but at 50/60% it's better nothing. We have ours every year without fail. We've also had our pneumonia jab as well.

Avril 

Wonder how they are going to organise the vaccinations this year. Maybe like when I was in hospital  years ago and the nurse would toss the syringe thingy like a dart into a dartboard, she was very good at it and never missed - honest!

since January I can do my own injections so I would just need to get to the surgery.

Does anyone think we will see any American lines back in Southampton anytime soon. I don't think so...reading some of the posts on FB for those lines, they are moaning about the same thing...total lack of speed with refunds and communications..

However I think some of the brands are damaged. Princess ,for having 3 ships that had the virus onboard and lost many many people  with it...and Holland America ,who started a S American cruise after the virus had spread to Europe..as it hadn't reached America yet (it had and people died on the ship from it)

I feel from the President down they will be trying to get Americans back to cruising asap. even if its not the right thing to do. 

As the Americans don't have to have insurance to cruise (I guess for many the insurance they pay for  any healthcare in the US covers them) that wouldn't be such a block to cruising as here..where you have to have travel insurance before you can travel.

When things do start up again I wonder if we'll see more people wanting a Southampton to Southampton cruise - in other words not fly cruising.  Maybe the extra concern about flying and then if there is any problem having to be repatriated might make people think about going from Southampton in the first instance.  We are over 70 and would hate to think that we'll never cruise again.  We certainly wouldn't fly but going from Southampton, which I've always preferred anyway would be a possibility.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

One impressive lady!   No hyperbole, no fudging, honest assessments when it's impossible to give definitive answers and very measured data/scientific based explanations.  

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 4

Yes, a big difference to watching Trump's team!  What a farce.  His scientists are good, then he says something and their body language is wonderful.  Glad I don't live over there.  Canada on the other hand, where I have lived, is marvellous.

16 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Exactly.   Have to say I haven't had flu since I have been having the vaccinations.  Touch wood.

• Like 2